The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
stimresp
KVRian
1045 posts since 1 Jul, 2008

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:27 am

An FS1r apparently just went for 539 euro.

:wheee:

blortblort
KVRAF
3165 posts since 20 Sep, 2004 from Atlanta

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:06 am

wow. never heard of this one...
color me impressed. again: wow :phones:

dj ike
KVRer
11 posts since 12 May, 2009 from NJ, USA

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:45 am

Late to the party...but how about slapping the orb formant filter at the end of an fm synth...never owned the fs1r but it could yield similar results. the orb is $49....the orb cm is freeware/magazineware version.

anomandaris1
KVRist
429 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 7:08 am

dj ike wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:45 am
Late to the party...but how about slapping the orb formant filter at the end of an fm synth...never owned the fs1r but it could yield similar results. the orb is $49....the orb cm is freeware/magazineware version.
This one is a synth, good for all kinds of complex sounds (like more realistic violins than what you would synthesize with simpler phase modulation synths back in the day). I doubt people want it just to create fake vocalish sounds (that you would get with your filter suggestion)

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
13648 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 8:15 am

dj ike wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:45 am
Late to the party...but how about slapping the orb formant filter at the end of an fm synth...never owned the fs1r but it could yield similar results.
Yes you're five years late to the party..... :roll:

Anyway thread necro aside:

"The FS1R synthesizer has an impressive set of new wave forms over the earlier DX line of FM synthesizers....These wave forms include Sine, All1, All2, Odd1, Odd2, Res1, Res2, and Formant. The new wave forms are each constructed with a large number of inherent harmonics making FM synthesis far more efficient. Each one of these operator wave forms can replace an entire column of operators in a Yamaha DX7 synthesizer algorithm".

The FS1r is also 8 Operator as opposed to 6 or 4.

So "slapping the orb formant filter at the end of an fm synth" would be a pointless exercise in futility unless it had the same specs as an FS1r.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Watchful
KVRist
353 posts since 9 Jan, 2018

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 9:32 am

The Montage and MODX uses almost the same FM engine as the FS1R. The biggest difference is that the FS1R had the formant sounds which made it unique. On the Montage and MODX, there's a gap in the interface layout that looks like the spot you'd logically add formants, so some of us are hoping a future OS release will add them and make the FS1R sounds compatible. It could do some pretty unearthly sounds.

User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
4391 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 11:26 am

#Arturia - Are you listening?

GRUMP
KVRist
471 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 12:18 pm

I can remember when it was released. The Situation was quiet similar as today. Virtual Analogues were just coming up (Virus A, Nord Lead, Novation xy, ...) and Roland pushed their Groove Boxes into the Market. The FS1R was quickly forgotten. It was a clear Victory for the KISS Principle. I chose the Virus these Days.

Concerning above Discussion: That Baby is quiet complex. And even if maybe just two Hands full of Options differ from other FM Synths - it´s the descisive ones. The FS1R is a completely different Approach.

Have you ever been in the Situation to try to sell something unknown and very complex? It´s easy if your Customer is a Specialist. But most of the People will just turn away while your endless Explanations. That is sad, but true - not much different in the VST World - and probably the Reason why most Developer don´t even try. Most Customers buy NI anyway. The Bang and the Buck ...
Always on the Run ... :wheee:

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
19799 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:15 am
The FS1r is also 8 Operator as opposed to 6 or 4.
Actually 16 operator - has 8 voiced and 8 unvoiced (noise) operators. Basically each of 8 operators has dual purpose - one to provide the harmonic prat, the other to provide inharmonic part. Formant sequences animate all these various parameters and you get a talking synth. :D

GRUMP
KVRist
471 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:09 am
FS1R's command very high prices on the second hand market and there must be a reason for that.I've looked into buying one. I see one is listed for $3,395 at e-bay now. That's just silly but another is a $355 but with 6 days left. Will be interesting to see what it's final selling price will be.......... :)
I´m glad to read that you are interested in Formant Synthesis. Really. May your FS1R inspire your Developments ;-)
Always on the Run ... :wheee:

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
13648 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 5:29 pm

GRUMP wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:46 pm
Teksonik wrote:
Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:09 am
FS1R's command very high prices on the second hand market and there must be a reason for that.I've looked into buying one. I see one is listed for $3,395 at e-bay now. That's just silly but another is a $355 but with 6 days left. Will be interesting to see what it's final selling price will be.......... :)
I´m glad to read that you are interested in Formant Synthesis. Really. May your FS1R inspire your Developments ;-)
Yes I was interested in an FS1r.......five and a half years ago when that post was made. :lol:

Things have changed just a bit since then...... :wink:

Not sure what you mean by "your developments"...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
risome
KVRAF
2087 posts since 30 Oct, 2006 from Australia, NSW

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:04 am
Well... formant synthesis as done by FS1R is a different pair of shoes. Also, FS1R has 8 voiced and 8 unvoiced operators, so it's not your usual FM box really.
It actually has 4 they are just stacked
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

User avatar
risome
KVRAF
2087 posts since 30 Oct, 2006 from Australia, NSW

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 5:55 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:29 pm
GRUMP wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:46 pm
Teksonik wrote:
Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:09 am
FS1R's command very high prices on the second hand market and there must be a reason for that.I've looked into buying one. I see one is listed for $3,395 at e-bay now. That's just silly but another is a $355 but with 6 days left. Will be interesting to see what it's final selling price will be.......... :)
I´m glad to read that you are interested in Formant Synthesis. Really. May your FS1R inspire your Developments ;-)
Yes I was interested in an FS1r.......five and a half years ago when that post was made. :lol:

Things have changed just a bit since then...... :wink:

Not sure what you mean by "your developments"...... :shrug:
The prices are about collecting not music making
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10215 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:22 pm

Tj Shredder wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:26 am
#Arturia - Are you listening?
Shut up! You’ll distract them from working on the Fizmo V emulation I asked for! :hihi:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10215 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: The most closest vst to Yamaha FS1R is ....

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:28 pm

I don’t know the FS1r, but I wonder if Blue 2 might be the closest. It sure seems capable.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”