PPG Phonem (Advanced Vocal Synthesizer) official released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phonemklatura for Phonem PPG Phonem

plexuss wrote:If have some questions, if I may...

1. What is the difference between Wave Generator and Wave Mapper? (I've read what I can but still don't see what the difference is)

2. How do you use either with Phonem? Is there a detailed demo somewhere or is this left to the enterprising user to figure out?

3. Can the iPad versions of Wave Generator and Wave Mapper be used to export what is needed to work with Phonem?

thanks!
well, i try to press it into a few sentences:

Wavegenerator is a versatile wavetable synth.
You can construct your own wavetables and sweeps on the wave grid.

WaveMapper adds another technique to this, which is TCS (time-corrected-samples)
thus offering a much wider spectrum of sounds.
And you can create new sounds and morphs with the sound-map.

WaveMapper has a analyzer which transfers samples to both formats: TCS and wavetables.
Both can be used in Phonem as sound sources.

You could try the DEMO versions of both to find out more.
The import to Phonem is very easy, you just select the sound you want to use and click CONVERT.

Yes, you also can use the WT and TCS from the iPad versions.

Thanks, Wolfgang, for the wonderful vocal synth. Also your good explanation - that helps. and, also, I've been a fan of yours since the late 70s - your synths, their music, are my musical beginnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmgL57vVxHg
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Phonem a day keeps two doctors away. In this patch I used a re-synthesized/wavetabled sizzling e-bow sample (acoustic guitar, using Wavemapper for the conversion) to excite the utterances, Reverbical is performing the reverb duties.

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/phonem-elegy

Sampleconstruct wrote: As promised, here comes a first basic video tutorial which covers all sorts of things from setting up Phonem to make your own patches to basic editing of utterances to modulation matrix-stuff
Thank you so much :hug:

I just got Phonem on iPad and was completely lost until i found this but now i have a solid foundation to start with :tu:

jn2002dk wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: As promised, here comes a first basic video tutorial which covers all sorts of things from setting up Phonem to make your own patches to basic editing of utterances to modulation matrix-stuff
Thank you so much :hug:

I just got Phonem on iPad and was completely lost until i found this but now i have a solid foundation to start with :tu:
My pleasure, glad these tutorials are helping people to understand Phonem better (or at all). I wondered why the youtube stats for those videos were so high this month, until I discovered some days ago that Wolfgang released an iPad version.

Here is another fresh tutorial on the topic of re-synthesizing/wave-tabling a sample in PPG Wavemapper and then importing the resulting wavetables into PPG Phonem and creating a sound from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-NBgjA_OM

Phonem and Phonemklatura used throughout this piece

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/th ... ilizations

wish i could sell my licence, but apparently i can't :dog:

Hi, i tried demo but still some questions.
There is any demo example with good (non-smooth) sounding of consonant letters ? (R/Z/K/L for example). Need a quite rigid\rough sound (if possible).

Just going through Simon's pretty damn thorough tutorial.. good work explaining the horror :borg:

Am I a bad person for requesting LFO phase offset control? Just the LFO phase start position, not LFO control _of_ the phase. I can see that might be a bit more difficult..

In Frame mode, with an LFO modulating the Phoneme position, I really would like it to start from a fixed place.

I feel like I end up requesting this feature in every synth I use.. :oops:

CinningBao wrote:Just going through Simon's pretty damn thorough tutorial.. good work explaining the horror :borg:

Am I a bad person for requesting LFO phase offset control? Just the LFO phase start position, not LFO control _of_ the phase. I can see that might be a bit more difficult..

In Frame mode, with an LFO modulating the Phoneme position, I really would like it to start from a fixed place.

I feel like I end up requesting this feature in every synth I use.. :oops:
If you use the Time-envelope to modulate Phonem-position you can start at any point in the utterance chain and only select a small section to modulate between, if you loop the envelope you have something similar to an LFO - of course then you can't modulate the speed of the modulation anymore like you can when using an LFO (assigning a modulator to LFO speed).

Exactly how I got to my problem - unless it's possible to change the shape of the time-envelope loop to more of a Saw, then my request still stands..

Is it possible I'm missing some feature of the time-envelope?
How would you configure a forward-only loop read of the complete phoneme sequence? (I might need to spend some time with the Envelopes..)

Let's bump this one ...

Got the email today; Phonem is now updated to v.1.1 :)

From the KVR News article:
Wolfgang Palm has updated PPG Phonem to v1.1. This is a major update featuring the "Multi-Voice-Mode" which allows you to play up to 4 voices on one key and thus generating choir like sounds. All voices use the same preset, but have variations which makes the sound very natural.

For details, please have a look at the help texts on the header bar and the new page.

Other improvements and corrections are:
Improved voice libraries - resulting in better text-to-speech utterances and voice transformation.
Resonator energy normalization function.
other small bug fixes.
Good times for Phonem users! :) :party:

As I was preparing some samples today I came across this nice combo:

Improvising live on video with a custom Phonem patch - multi mode -> 4 voices per note played, processed by Soundtoys FX rack and B2 reverb. Tweaking things in the Phonem modulation matrix on the fly, also changing the pitch shifting parameter in the Crystallizer plugin within the Soundtoys FX rack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ZJ4y1bNVQ

I've managed some surprisingly natural sounding full words and short expressions (not just ooh and ahh and such) but it is a considerable effort to experiment and tweak until it sounds satisfying... anyone else digging deeper into this area?

Return to “Instruments”