Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Its wierd this synth not got more attention because its so PRO made and very like a virus synth. And just awesome sounding synth. Also it sounds better then many c++ synths out There. I belive Adam made alot of work into this and pretty much coding. Adam is pretty PRO what i seen so far. Hes good sound designer and awesome synth coder tbh. I would gladly design a bank for you Adam If you like that u can sell. :) or mybe 2 If you like it.

Missed the discount by 1 day, but Im keeping a close eye on this and its on my shopping list, super impressed by the demo, sounds great

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

if it's only a day or two maybe he could help you out if you email him
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I’m also broke post Christmas...😂

that's what credit cards are for. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

For those suffering from spikes when playing viper via midi here is a workaround that works for me and may work for you:

jbridge the plugin (you can bridge 64 bit to 64 bit, too) and then use it with jbridge in performance mode. This adds the base latency of your system (so if you system has 256 samples latency it adds another 256 to this particular plugin) but it completely eliminates the spikes when playing the synth in (near) real time via midi.

Maybe something like this could be optionally implented in Viper. An optio to add a small amount of latency so the incoming notes don't trigger crazy spikes (of a synth that basically is very cpu friendly)

Dip200 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:39 pm For those suffering from spikes when playing viper via midi here is a workaround that works for me and may work for you:

jbridge the plugin (you can bridge 64 bit to 64 bit, too) and then use it with jbridge in performance mode. This adds the base latency of your system (so if you system has 256 samples latency it adds another 256 to this particular plugin) but it completely eliminates the spikes when playing the synth in (near) real time via midi.

Maybe something like this could be optionally implented in Viper. An optio to add a small amount of latency so the incoming notes don't trigger crazy spikes (of a synth that basically is very cpu friendly)
Thank you for that tip, I will definitely try it out and see if something like this can be included! A new update of Viper will arrive soon-ish, which will fix a lot of crashes and performance increases as well!
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Yeah I really hope these spikes get fixed. I'm not really willing to involve a bridging plugin which I don't have or want. Unfortunately it doesn't help it to wrap in other plugin hosts like Maschine or Freestyle. Still getting those crazy spikes whenever a new key is pressed.

I would happily take a small latency hit to remove these spikes. What is the current reported latency? I've has some instruments that are 16 samples latency. Viper could have more, it wouldn't be noticeable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That will be welcome Adam. I think Viper could be a culprit for a crash I was getting in Cubase 9.0.2
where all is well until export time and then I get a scary message. "Cubase has stopped working".

But the file has bounced correctly so I was not so worried. This is only an inkling and not confirmed as I was too into my track to investigate but this behaviour was not there until Viper was in the session.

Fingers crossed next update clears it up. Totally loving the synth though.

A dropdown menu allowing the user to select the latency might be the best option. That way each user can find the best balance between CPU performance and latency for their system.

I just tried a test where I had a Viper with jbridge and performance mode enabled panned to the right, then a Viper without jbridge panned to the left, and made them play at the same time, and the one with jbridge was completely in sync with the other one, it didnt add any latency, but it did remove the cpu spikes. Interesting!
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

adamtrance wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 pm I just tried a test where I had a Viper with jbridge and performance mode enabled panned to the right, then a Viper without jbridge panned to the left, and made them play at the same time, and the one with jbridge was completely in sync with the other one, it didnt add any latency, but it did remove the cpu spikes. Interesting!
Wouldn’t that be because of host latency compensation? If it’s doing it’s job it’s delaying everything to be in sync with whatever has latency.

As I understand it, the performance mode only adds 1 sample and not the system latency

Performance mode does add latency dependent on the asio latency settings of your sound card. I just tested this again with Phazor and on my system it looks like this:

Phazor without jbridge in Performancemode has no latency at all
System Asio 256 Samples - Phazor reports 5.3 ms latency
System Asio 128 Samples - Phazor reports 2.7 ms latency
System Asio 64 Samples - Phazor reports 1.3 ms latency

Another hint that a little bit of latency may help Viper to eliminate the spikes is this:

My DAW is Cubase. One feature of it (that many other DAWS do have as well in some form or another) is called ASIO Guard.What this does is it adds a selectable amount of latency (few milliseconds) and uses this to prerender audio and midi.And when I do play back midi files with this lookahead method, Viper does not spike at all. I can clearly see how cpu efficient it actually is.

But when I play Viper live with my keyboard, and Cubase passes my played notes through without any possiblity of this "lookahead latency" I get these crazy spikes that some times make audible clicks. (9900K running at a constant @4.7 GHZ)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”