Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
BlitBit
KVRist
180 posts since 28 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 am

izonin wrote:
I say A is Viper and B is Virus.
Same here. Hard to describe why, but B sounds a bit more "exciting" with regards to the filters. Although they are both very close indeed.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2455 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38 am

I forgot to mention that in both parts ive mixed up virus with viper and via versa :-D

User avatar
Chris-S
KVRAF
2607 posts since 10 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 am

You mean it's not A-B-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A-B-A but it could also be A-B-B-A-A-B ?

Anyway, my bad ears can't tell a difference really. :D

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2455 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 am

Chris-S wrote:You mean it's not A-B-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A-B-A but it could also be A-B-B-A-A-B ?

Anyway, my bad ears can't tell a difference really. :D
Yes :-)

But even with good ears it would be hard to pin point wich is wich because Viper has that "virus" sound, punchy, clicky, smooth sound wich is not easy to replicate and for certain patches almost impossible :)

But Virus in general especialy when lfo with max rate applied to pitch can sound a little muddy and less clear comparing to real thing. Also that applies to the detune. But in the end it still the closest you can get :-)

I just hope Adam wount just make a 64 bit version but also gonna add some features that virus has like Hypersaw sync and ability to use wavetable shapes in lfos :)

But in first synth comparison A is Virus and B is Viper in second first is Viper and 2nd is Virus :wink:

recursive one
KVRAF
3759 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am

Elektronisch wrote:
Chris-S wrote:You mean it's not A-B-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A-B-A but it could also be A-B-B-A-A-B ?

Anyway, my bad ears can't tell a difference really. :D
Yes :-)

But even with good ears it would be hard to pin point wich is wich because Viper has that "virus" sound, punchy, clicky, smooth sound wich is not easy to replicate and for certain patches almost impossible :)

But Virus in general especialy when lfo with max rate applied to pitch can sound a little muddy and less clear comparing to real thing. Also that applies to the detune. But in the end it still the closest you can get :-)

I just hope Adam wount just make a 64 bit version but also gonna add some features that virus has like Hypersaw sync and ability to use wavetable shapes in lfos :)

But in first synth comparison A is Virus and B is Viper in second first is Viper and 2nd is Virus :wink:
I got the second comparison right! Had no idea about the first one though.

Anyway, that's not the kind of difference anyone would ever care about when making actual tracks.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2455 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 am

recursive one wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:
Chris-S wrote:You mean it's not A-B-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A-B-A but it could also be A-B-B-A-A-B ?

Anyway, my bad ears can't tell a difference really. :D
Yes :-)

But even with good ears it would be hard to pin point wich is wich because Viper has that "virus" sound, punchy, clicky, smooth sound wich is not easy to replicate and for certain patches almost impossible :)

But Virus in general especialy when lfo with max rate applied to pitch can sound a little muddy and less clear comparing to real thing. Also that applies to the detune. But in the end it still the closest you can get :-)

I just hope Adam wount just make a 64 bit version but also gonna add some features that virus has like Hypersaw sync and ability to use wavetable shapes in lfos :)

But in first synth comparison A is Virus and B is Viper in second first is Viper and 2nd is Virus :wink:
I got the second comparison right! Had no idea about the first one though.

Anyway, that's not the kind of difference anyone would ever care about when making actual tracks.
Actually in real world it might give some serious challenge when doing a track mixdown and the sound is made from few synth layers :-)

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
1543 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

wagtunes wrote: Hope you guys have plenty of blood pressure medicine.
:hihi:

adamtrance
KVRian
695 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

I m pretty sure it goes like this: Virus, Viper, Viper, Virus. If its not like that then its so close it fooled even me :D

Edit, oops I didnt see the answer was already revealed but then I was right, I know what to look for ;)
Last edited by adamtrance on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

User avatar
Touch The Universe
KVRAF
3398 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Viper does quite a lovely psy bass :love:

One of the best I've ever heard in a vsti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b46XJkN ... e=youtu.be
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101, Hive, Electra 2, Diversion, Halion, Largo, Rapid, Dune II, and Spire.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/

izonin
KVRian
1162 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:49 am

Funny, I thought that the B's sounded better.

So, the filter needs more work to get it 1:1. Maybe in the next update? :)

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2455 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:08 am

izonin wrote:Funny, I thought that the B's sounded better.

So, the filter needs more work to get it 1:1. Maybe in the next update? :)
I think people give too much credit to filter sometimes. In virus case filter doesnt do anything that define the Virus :) its good as it is now :)

User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 am

I had owned both a Virus KC (2004-2007) and a Virus TI Mk1 desktop (2006-2015) and i admit that the only feature i am still interested in from teh TI is the Hypersaw.

Before i sold the TI i had sampled the Hypersaw at different detune amount and used those samples in different synths including my Waldorf Blofeld.
Before selling it i also compared it to the dedicated Hypersaw Osc mode in Tone2 Electra 2.1 and this nailed the TI Hypersaw very nicely too.

Now i just conpared the Viper demo (with jBridge in lIve 9 64-bit) to the Hypersaw Unison modes in Tone2 Icarus and taht one nails the Hypersaw in Viper really nicely. Besides that in Icarus this feature could be used wit hany waveform, not just a Sawtooth and Icarus also has the Stereo Hypersaw modes that add stereo width to the Hypersaw voices.

The "Density" feature available in all 3 Osc of my Novation UltraNova could mimic a Hypeesaw like sound quite nicely too and like in Icarus works with all waveforms and also wavetables.

I also got the full version of Adam Szabo JP6K and with the proper single cycle waveform loaded in Icarus (sampled from a single waveform) in combination with the Supersaw Unison mode Icarus could nail the JP-8000 Supersaw nicely too (and in Icarus it could work with all waveforms, not just a Sawtooth).


Point is that i had owned the real thing (both the Virus KC and TI) and for the purpose of using a Hypersaw Icarus (and also Electra 2.5) currently is a better choice for me. My UltraNova as hardware is a nice replacement for me too. Besides that i also got the Virus TI Hypersaw samples.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

User avatar
Roman Wisniak
KVRist
219 posts since 28 Jul, 2003 from Poland

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:27 am

recursive one wrote:
Roman Wisniak wrote:
tristan- wrote:
Chris-S wrote:
ATN69 wrote:It's easy to work with Viper. The GUI and workflow is logical.
Is there a resize-option for the GUI? It's a bit small on my HD screen....

Concerning the comparison video Virus vs. Viper: Have the patches been converted by hand or is there a converter existing?
There's no way to patch convert between them. It's not a clone, yet its very similar.
Really? Couldn't be made using a script comparing/matching fxp files?
Virus presets are MIDI files, not fxb/fxp.
It's pointless weather Virus presets are .mid or .syx because you can convert whole banks to fxb using VSTi Virus Ti plugin then compare/match fxp files between Virus Ti and Viper.
DAW StudioOne 4 Audio Interface Presonus 1818VSL with Universal Control 2.7 CPU Intel Core i9-7920X @4400 OS Win8.1 64Bit / OSX (Hackintosh) HighSierra.

izonin
KVRian
1162 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 am

Elektronisch wrote:
izonin wrote:Funny, I thought that the B's sounded better.

So, the filter needs more work to get it 1:1. Maybe in the next update? :)
I think people give too much credit to filter sometimes. In virus case filter doesnt do anything that define the Virus :) its good as it is now :)
Yeah, the difference is subtle. Maybe even not noticeable in a mix.

Another thing I'm noticing now is that in the second example the Viper Hypersaw sounds thicker and rougher than the Virus. The hardware oscillators seem to be smoother and more transparent.

adamtrance
KVRian
695 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 am

Ingonator wrote:I had owned both a Virus KC (2004-2007) and a Virus TI Mk1 desktop (2006-2015) and i admit that the only feature i am still interested in from teh TI is the Hypersaw.
I think I read multiple times that you are a fan of the Hypersaw in the Virus Ti, and you always mention Icarus. While it does a cool Hypersaw its nothing like the one in the Virus Ti or in Viper. First of all, the real OG Hypersaw in the Virus lets you dynamically dial in the amount of voices. So you can have a single osc Hypersaw, and smoothly dial in more all the way up to 9. In Icarus, you can only choose from Hypersaw 3, 5, 7 and 9. You cannot blend between them. Also the detune in Icarus does not go as far as the Virus Hypersaw. Then, another feature in the Hypersaw is that when you enable the Sub oscillator, you get Hypersquares blended in with the Hypersaws for a very massive sound. Icarus does not that either. So as far as I am aware Viper is the only one that nails all of these right now.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Return to “Instruments”