One Synth Challenge #99: vst2413 by Keijiro Takahashi (J.Ruegg wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is where my journey is going to head for.
All Instruments but the snare have been designed from scratch, than a bit heavy lifting with "some" EnvelopeShapers and EQs...Please Switch on your Subwoofer and place your feet on top of it -The Massage is included for free this time.

]--deleted---[
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote:AH, neat. At least we all get to meet in one place, one way or the other. Nice! :tu:
and post silly gifs and pictures of cute puppies ..

I just summed up slack :-)

ok, ok,

sometimes, some people post previews ..
sometimes, some people give advice ..
sometimes, we drop files in there for later review .. like manuals and stuff

but most of the time .. gifs and puppies
no cats, because z.prime hates cats
and we respect that
because he gave me a ton of advice and review

I personally like cats very much (don't tell z.prime)

I've got 4 cats around me...like...uhm...at least 3 of them constantly. So...I don't care, but luckily I don't care for posting pictures or other typical social media nonsense. Except possibly gifs now, because slack rocks with that fun bogus! :lol:

Well, Rob and I had a fantastic little "bore-off" with quick little jazz tracks done using v2413. I totally enjoyed it! If we had more some little mini challenges over at the chat, you'd find me there all the time!!! :D
...those could be most excellent to practice a new synth and exchange a little the learning process. :)

Anyway, I really normally am not much of a chat guy, but we've had good fun this morning/afternoon. :phones:

Taron wrote:I've got 4 cats around me...
I used to breed and show the little beasts - colourpoint persians (Himalayans to USA folk) - have a grand champion tortoiseshell persian at the moment.
Well, Rob and I had a fantastic little "bore-off" with quick little jazz tracks
Careful there, you'll be copying my genre!!! And end up writing real tunes :hihi:

dB

doctorbob wrote:
Taron wrote:I've got 4 cats around me...
I used to breed and show the little beasts - colourpoint persians (Himalayans to USA folk) - have a grand champion tortoiseshell persian at the moment.
I count on us, meeting in slack so you can show me some pictures! :hyper:
doctorbob wrote:
Well, Rob and I had a fantastic little "bore-off" with quick little jazz tracks
Careful there, you'll be copying my genre!!! And end up writing real tunes :hihi:
REAL TUNES?! :shock: ...that will never happen! :uhuhuh:

Taron wrote: REAL TUNES?! :shock: ...that will never happen! :uhuhuh:
I was kindly asked in the Ardour irc channel not to use Ardour for real music projects :D

anyway, osc is not about music , it's about stress-testing cpu,dsp,daw and plugins :lol:

btw, anyone noticed how the Slack channel is infested with foxes lately ?
even worse, they all are talented musicians .. very scary :scared:

Hello!

An early entry from me. Try to imagine fictional story along the song about a shady deal. (this is what I did during creative process) :ud:

https://soundcloud.com/medniex/special-offer

Sorry a lot of presets :oops: I just love these raw sounds.

32 instances (4x vst2413r, 10x vst2413p and 18x vst2413s)

DAW: Ableton live 9

Host FX: Compression, auto pan, utility(for volume automation), EQ, filter delay, multiband compression, saturator, glue compression, simple delay, reverb, limiter, random (MIDI effect), arpegirator (MIDI effect)
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Apologies, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful about the unchangeable presets. They can be very enjoyable and are an important part of synthesis history. :hail:

I quite like some of the presets as well. In part they demonstrate the "time" of the chip, and for me, I find that the raw sound gives me a very nice small basement club sound, with instruments poorly tuned, and cabinet speakers blown and rattling. Quite nice to not "over refine" the sound this time, but to let it "sing out" and speak through the music - well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

A long way to go yet, but the blues is calling me ... I have a lovely grungy bass which just doesn't cut it at all in the very low register - and that's great - wait til you hear it - but remember, it's meant to be like that!

dB

--- temporarily deleted: Will post an update next week ---
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

It's been a while since I've entered OSC or even written a song. Wanting to get back into it soon. I saw the discussion at the beginning of this thread about the different versions of vst2413. Is using presets generally discouraged for OSC?

If so, I understand the reasoning as the challenge of this comp seems to be creativity in sound design. However sometimes I find the wealth of knobs/faders overwhelming and frustrating and not sure if it would be the best way for me to splash back into songwriting at this point in my life. I'm much more interested in playing percussion live on street corners right now :)

Hope everyone is doing well though, the few of you who may remember me and who I also remember. I'm sure I'll peek in every once in a while and enter again eventually at some point!

Also I noticed SDCompo was plugged in the OP as an alternate compo. I didn't even realize this :) Thank you! However, SDC/AT is pretty much on hiatus right now, it's been 7 months since our last round. You guys are about to finally catch up to us on round numbers! We admins are all at various stages of life transition and/or not having time to keep up with administrative stuff. But we're still in touch with each other and hopefully we'll get it started back at some point, even if in a different form or some sort of spiritual successor.

Peace all!
-Scott

My entry, posting early simply so I stop spending time on it :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-947450193/s ... ot-dancing

- 41 instances of vst2413s.
- All sounds built from scratch
- DAW: Studio One
- Effects: Native DAW effects (Analog Delay, Beat Delay, Room Reverb, Pro EQ, Mixtool, Compressor, Limiter)
- Liberal use of stacked instances and automation and of course delay :)

Had a lot of fun tinkering with this synth and creating SFX. The aliasing is maddening, but perhaps necessary to produce video game sounds?

generaldiomedes wrote: ... The aliasing is maddening ...
Yes it is! but, I found that when I layer up some guitar like patches, you get that nice screeching/beating sound now and then like when two guitarists are ever so slightly out of tune - sounds great - when it happens is not totally under control, but then ... guitarists pah :dog: :hihi: ...

dB

doctorbob wrote:
generaldiomedes wrote: ... The aliasing is maddening ...
Yes it is! but, I found that when I layer up some guitar like patches, you get that nice screeching/beating sound now and then like when two guitarists are ever so slightly out of tune - sounds great - when it happens is not totally under control, but then ... guitarists pah :dog: :hihi: ...

dB
This "madening aliasing" is not a defect it's a chance! See it as chance, it's overtones for free! Listen to my bass, you can even here it over the small headphones...that's why it's cool not madening!
I've used it for some fun and put a EQ with heavy gain on the aliasing regions and moved it around a bit...feed that into a reverb or a delay, and voila you have an element to your sound painting that's new...

Oh, yes, I agree Peter, the "defect" is great - just that I suspect the "purists" won't like having the odd grungy sound now and then. Yes, when it interferes with other sounds (as in "colouration"), it's pretty cool!

:tu: :hihi:

dB

Return to “Instruments”