Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
EnochLight
KVRian
1052 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from Detroit, MI

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Omnisphere 2. I sat on it for a month, tried using it in my productions for 2 months, and finally decided it just wasn't for me. Sat on my shelf until I sold it last month. Nice synth, but ultimately a waste for me. Pass.
  • Presonus Studio One 3.5.x | too many VSTi's to name
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.2 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro | too many RE's to name

zzz00m
KVRian
1338 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Synths you regret buying

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:00 am

EnochLight wrote:Omnisphere 2. I sat on it for a month, tried using it in my productions for 2 months, and finally decided it just wasn't for me. Sat on my shelf until I sold it last month. Nice synth, but ultimately a waste for me. Pass.
I can certainly see a $500 mistake as being much more regrettable than a $1 mistake. :wink:

That is the reason I have avoided Omnisphere so far. Plus there is no demo available, only reliance on videos and word of mouth. I'm sure that it's a good synth for certain purposes, but without a hands on trial, I just dunno...
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

EnochLight
KVRian
1052 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from Detroit, MI

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:19 am

zzz00m wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Omnisphere 2. I sat on it for a month, tried using it in my productions for 2 months, and finally decided it just wasn't for me. Sat on my shelf until I sold it last month. Nice synth, but ultimately a waste for me. Pass.
I can certainly see a $500 mistake as being much more regrettable than a $1 mistake. :wink:

That is the reason I have avoided Omnisphere so far. Plus there is no demo available, only reliance on videos and word of mouth. I'm sure that it's a good synth for certain purposes, but without a hands on trial, I just dunno...
I hear you, but I was able to re-sell it and only lose about $75 USD. So, as far as I'm concerned, I "rented" it for 5 months at a reasonable price to try it out. That said, Spectrasonic's whole "no demo" policy because it's too large is a load of shit. They could easily release a demo version with a curated selection of content, they just choose not to do it in order to rope people into buying it and charging for a license transfer for those who don't like it. As a company, I find their approach deplorable.

Still, it was a pretty cool synth (although the dated GUI/UX was tiring to work in for me).
  • Presonus Studio One 3.5.x | too many VSTi's to name
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.2 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro | too many RE's to name

Shockwave77598
KVRer
18 posts since 15 Mar, 2018

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:59 am

I regret three purchases: two of which are VSTs

Camel Audio - Alchemy
Korg - Digital collection
Minleon - Light Show Pro

ALCHEMY -- I didn't buy it immediately, due to a bad experience with another maker. After ensuring the company wasn't going anywhere and there was plenty of support for the synth and playing with the free one, I purchased the full monty version of Alchemy. I was saving up for a couple of months for some sound libraries, and then *POOF*, Camel Audio and all the libraries I wanted to buy were no more. Loss = 350$

KORG DIGITAL COLLECTION -- I swore off the independents and went with a big name that I knew well from the past and knew wasn't going to quit the biz anytime soon. Their installation required a USB dongle, which I didn't mind. But I DID mind when the dongle died after a month and Korg refused to either a) replace it under warranty, or b) sell me a replacement. After trying for several weeks to get my paid-for products working again, I was dismayed to hear Korg's final word on the matter was to simply buy another copy without the dongle requirement. I therefore put Korg in the same s*** bucket as Camel Audio and Prodyon. Any thoughts of buying a Kronos vanished along with Korg's customer service. Loss = 250$

LIGHT SHOW PRO -- not a synth. But a company that started the whole christmas lights synced to the music scene and then abandoned all its customers deserves my contempt as well. Loss = 250$

Sure, each individual loss may not seem like a huge deal. Certainly not something you write off as a capital loss on your taxes. But all three of these happened within a year. And combined, that IS a pretty penny. BTW: this isn't ALL my money lost to music synths and makers. And I have to scrimp, save, and go without things to be able to afford them -- ending up with little or nothing makes me wish I'd not gotten into this at all. It has certainly made me record less, since the sourness makes me want to not even look at a keyboard anymore.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23105 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 pm

impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.

mgw38
KVRian
1116 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:38 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.
Works fine here in 64bit Ableton.

Scotty
KVRAF
1670 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:54 pm

I only use the 32bit version of Imposcar but I wrapped it in jbridge and it is solid and stable. They released a 2.0 upgrade for it but the features and cost didn't translate into making it worthwhile for me. jbridge on version 1 is doing the trick.

thecontrolcentre wrote:impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1663 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:27 am

DRC. Not even that good and it just collects virtual dust on my harddrive. Also i dont fancy that gui.

mgw38
KVRian
1116 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:59 am

Halonmusic wrote:DRC. Not even that good and it just collects virtual dust on my harddrive. Also i dont fancy that gui.
Yes, that one is a bit of a disappointment. I liked the idea of having a version of my iPhone where I could fiddle around and then later continue on the production system. But the GUI is a nightmare.

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1663 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:06 am

mgw38 wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:DRC. Not even that good and it just collects virtual dust on my harddrive. Also i dont fancy that gui.
Yes, that one is a bit of a disappointment. I liked the idea of having a version of my iPhone where I could fiddle around and then later continue on the production system. But the GUI is a nightmare.
Indeed.

dellboy
KVRian
705 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:15 am

I bought Kontakt years ago because everyone had it and I thought I must need it as well.

The idea seemed to be that you make a song with a simple synth sound and later replace it with a better Kontakt preset to finish the song.

Trouble is, I have loads of half finished songs, but no completed ones.

Kontakt just sits there gloating at me and calling me a loser :hihi:

Tj Shredder
KVRian
1411 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 am

dellboy wrote:Kontakt just sits there gloating at me and calling me a loser :hihi:
You shoul load in a different sample, I wouldn't play Kontakt either if it only played that looser sample...

zzz00m
KVRian
1338 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 am

dellboy wrote:I bought Kontakt years ago because everyone had it and I thought I must need it as well.

The idea seemed to be that you make a song with a simple synth sound and later replace it with a better Kontakt preset to finish the song.
I always suspected that Kontakt was a potential money pit, so stayed away, except for the free Kontakt Player.

Can't find the 'finish the song' button on that one either! :lol:
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

fisherKing
KVRAF
1721 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:37 am

i regret buying all of them, and would prefer to have stolen each one... 8)
always one plugin short of perfection...

Return to “Instruments”