Sh-101 options?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bong

When does Tal have any sales?

braj wrote:Anyone know if there is a dr110 emulator, I want the full nostalgic setup that was my rig way back when, with a Yamaha organ run through a Boss flanger as my lead instrument. I want that little lcd screen redone. It was an awesome little battery powered system, going through a 4x1 boss mixer to an old boombox. The early 80s were great. All cv right before midi hit.
Tried this?

http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/doctor-110
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

surreal wrote:When does Tal have any sales?
Unfortunately, they just had one on Black Friday.

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/togu-audi ... hing-39296

Robmobius wrote:... the Roland Plugout version (vst) is better than the TAL.
no way. they actually sound just about exactly the same, it's pretty unbelievable. here's an example with both, at what bar(s) does it switch?

https://soundcloud.com/jbuonacc/roland-vs-tal

the TAL version trounces the Roland in pretty much every other way, by far. probably my biggest VST purchase regret (even on sale for $99), i should have bought the Promars. my trial ran out before i had a chance to test it, was pretty bummed after buying it and finally sitting down with them. felt like i tore up a $100 bill, i have almost no use for this thing. can't even sell it.
Low end is a lot beefier.
barely, and i sure hope you're not talking about the Roland having it's Tone control set below center. just boost the low end on the TAL a bit. done.

i can't believe you'd come off like this, dismissing how close the TAL emulation actually is, based solely on some shit like "the low end is beefier". (is Ingo not around? surprised he didn't come in and tell you to throw Waves 'One Knob Fatter' on it. always seems to do the trick for him. :hihi: )

jbuonacc wrote:
Robmobius wrote:... the Roland Plugout version (vst) is better than the TAL.
no way. they actually sound just about exactly the same, it's pretty unbelievable. here's an example with both, at what bar(s) does it switch?

https://soundcloud.com/jbuonacc/roland-vs-tal

the TAL version trounces the Roland in pretty much every other way, by far. probably my biggest VST purchase regret (even on sale for $99), i should have bought the Promars. my trial ran out before i had a chance to test it, was pretty bummed after buying it and finally sitting down with them. felt like i tore up a $100 bill, i have almost no use for this thing. can't even sell it.
Low end is a lot beefier.
barely, and i sure hope you're not talking about the Roland having it's Tone control set below center. just boost the low end on the TAL a bit. done.

i can't believe you'd come off like this, dismissing how close the TAL emulation actually is, based solely on some shit like "the low end is beefier". (is Ingo not around? surprised he didn't come in and tell you to throw Waves 'One Knob Fatter' on it. always seems to do the trick for him. :hihi: )
Attempting to make two synths the same does not prove that they have the same range. I've compared these two extensively recently and I've indeed found that for certain bass oriented sounds, there is a certain punch possible with the roland version that isn't quite possible to get with the TAL version. It's evident with a classic low filter setting and low filter envelope sustain and moderately fast decay. That punchy bass or low pluck sound that the hardware is known for. EQ doesn't quite make up for it. They both sound great, and the differences could easily have been the same with two different 101 units. Like with any competing emulations that are this close, the range of difference is very small and only encountered at very specific settings, but it is there.

This is my calculation: one is $60 I can buy right now (less on sale) with a superior arp and interface, and very comparable sound. It is the closer SH-101 in feel as well, and doesn't have the extra envelope which may be skewing the sound comparisons anyway. It definitely has more bottom end than the LuSH-101 which I want it to augment, and if I ever do get tired of it, I can sell it, so it wins. Plus I may actually eventually buy a System-1 controller, so I can get the SH-101 free that way later anyhow. But from my testing, they are very close, so close that it doesn't make any sense for me to spend more on the (I feel) generally inferior Roland plugin, all things considered beyond sound.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:This is my calculation: one is $60 I can buy right now (less on sale) with a superior arp and interface, and very comparable sound. It is the closer SH-101 in feel as well, and doesn't have the extra envelope which may be skewing the sound comparisons anyway. It definitely has more bottom end than the LuSH-101 which I want it to augment, and if I ever do get tired of it, I can sell it, so it wins. Plus I may actually eventually buy a System-1 controller, so I can get the SH-101 free that way later anyhow. But from my testing, they are very close, so close that it doesn't make any sense for me to spend more on the (I feel) generally inferior Roland plugin, all things considered beyond sound.
Makes sense. Personally I'm happy with the modules in Reaktor Blocks for the SH-101 sound. Or the 101 sound sources in Trilian. But if I had the Roland cloud for three years, the 101 there would probably be the third synth I'd chose to own (after the Juno and Jupiter) due to that extra 5% that it gets right.

I compared LuSH to the Roland VST by trying to replicate patches back and forth not too long ago and felt like they weren't really in the same territory. I'd take LuSH any day though because its far more versatile... The Roland VST sounded a lot more bass heavy - which based on what I've read here, sounds like I should consider the TAL plugin. (I have their Juno plugin and absolutely love it - it replaced my 106, though I kick myself for ever parting with it!)

Yeah, I think LuSH-101 is the one I'd rather have if I could only have one. TAL Bassline_LuSH I think it a great combo.

Trillian was mentioned for a SH-101 bass source, I should delve into that a bit more, I mostly use it for electric basses.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

While the Roland SH-101 plugin also sounds great the biggest advantage with this plugin (and also some others like their Juno-106 and SH-2) is that they added a second full featured ADSR envelepe. This makes the synth (or synths) a lot more usable for sound design than having a single envelope.

I had owned both TAL U-NO-LX and Bassline-101 and sold them after a while also due to that.

Sometimes i really don't get why such limitations are taken over to software when doing emulations.

I was happy that Synapse Audio had used full ADSR envelopes for The Legend instead of the original ADS envelopes (or ADSD with Decay and Release time being identical). That was one addition which really made sense.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Sometimes i really don't get why such limitations are taken over to software when doing emulations.
Because at some point of tweaking you are getting a sound that has nothing to do with the original instrument. For 'purists' this is not a proper emulation.

sfxsound3 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Sometimes i really don't get why such limitations are taken over to software when doing emulations.
Because at some point of tweaking you are getting a sound that has nothing to do with the original instrument. For 'purists' this is not a proper emulation.
So it is funny that Roland themselves add such an advanced feaure to their SH-101 plugin while others decide to do not...
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Yeah, honestly I want the synths to sound like what they emulate. Call me crazy, but if I wanted a synth that sounded different, I'd buy a different synth. The Roland SH-101 to me, as a plug-in, feels like something other than an SH-101. Sounds great, but the env from what I recall doesn't have the option to use the same env for both the VCA and the filter, I think you would need to make the same settings in both places to get it to behave like a real SH-101. ie. it isn't an accurate emulation in that regard.

Plus I want it to use sliders, damn it ;) It just feels weird, not to mention the knobs are borked.

Also a nice thing that the Bassline 101 does that I just like, however useful it really is may be debatable, but I used to add accents in my Boss DR-110 that would trigger the arp in my SH-101, the TAL allows this same behavior, so I can get the same action using it's sequencer or arp, it was a big part of how I made music way back when, and yeah, it is nostalgia, but same as someone buying an old car because the rear view mirror is mounted on the dash or the taillights are surrounded by chrome. It makes it comfortable for me, I like it more because of it. TAL's car drives more like the old model, it simply is more of what I prefer.

Ingonator wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:
So it is funny that Roland themselves add such an advanced feaure to their SH-101 plugin while others decide to do not...
You were asking...

IMO, such 'cult classic' instruments should be emulated 1:1, especially if the company that did the original is doing them. But who am I, ah that's a different topic!

Return to “Instruments”