One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

functionform wrote:Off to a good start there NeverScene. You guys make it sound so easy! The tom roll is epic. DON'T share your patches, must learn on my own! :)
Hey, thanks Functionform, but did you hear my crashes!? Epic tom roll followed by pssssshhhhhhhh lol

I was pretty surprised when I came up with the tom patch. They sound more acoustic than synth. My tune's a little too happy sounding right now, so hoping to mean it up.

I'll grant you're wish and keep the tom patch to myself, but feel free to ask for the crash patch! :hihi:
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

NeverScene haha, I'll ask for the them after submission deadline, so do save it!

Blamsoft, you were right, the HQ filter used equally tough cpu on the older patch. I don't get it - I swore it didn't. I had to change all my patches to Standard filter. So weird. Standard is more than good enough, but I'll miss that crispy HQ. Onward and upward!

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/8-bits-of-tokyo

Hi, first time here! Fun - and frustrating as well, to work within such a limited framework, especially with a monophonic synth. Polyphony is definitely my thing. But I learnt a lot about the possibilities of this synth - I'm a lot more favorable to VK-1 Viking after spending some time creating this little snippet.

DAW:
PreSonus Studio One Professional

Fx:
2 Limiters
2 ProEQ's
2 Binaural Pans
3 Room Reverbs
1 Beat Delay

all PreSonus stock plugins.

* Update: Listening again this morning, I have added a bit of Variety of Sound's excellent and free Boot EQ MKII on my master channel. I had planned to stick with stock fx only, but I'm totally addicted to this old 32-bit EQ. *

Synth:
- 33 x Blamsoft VK-1 Viking
Last edited by schiing on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Just gotta say....I love the OSC.

Got the day off and and working on my track. Updating it as I go along if anyone is bored and wants to tag along.

Lol! 12 Vikings take it all (almost) :wink:
:phones: Having fun with Cubase 10.5 Pro @ Win10 | Waves, Korg, D16, AIR ...
also Protracker 3.62 @ Amiga 1200 / WinUAE :love:

That's a lot of memory ...

With Reaper and 28 VK1's and 73 FX online, I see 8852.6 MB memory usage and 20% cpu use.

dB

schiing wrote:* Update: Listening again this morning, I have added a bit of Variety of Sound's excellent and free Boot EQ MKII on my master channel. I had planned to stick with stock fx only, but I'm totally addicted to this old 32-bit EQ. *
Hey Schiing, sounds much better with the eq.

Thanks, TheNeverScene!

I have to admit that I tidied up the kick and added a few bits here and there while I was at it, but yes, it definitely needed some eq shaping. And there's a subtle tube/drive effect as well on that eq that really benefits the sound.

You have some interesting things going on with your track! Those toms fascinate me quite a bit.
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

TheNeverScene wrote:
schiing wrote:* Update: Listening again this morning, I have added a bit of Variety of Sound's excellent and free Boot EQ MKII on my master channel. I had planned to stick with stock fx only, but I'm totally addicted to this old 32-bit EQ. *
Hey Schiing, sounds much better with the eq.
I agree - much much better. I used to use BootEQ MKII myself - now I am addicted to using TDR SlickEQ and Ferric TDS combo. Similar effect, but you can control the added dynamics/saturation more closely with Ferric - and be more subtle about it :wink:

db

Thanks, doctorbob! I like Ferric, too - I have only used it on instrument buses so far, though. I almost always use BootEQ to subtract from the upper and lower frequencies, so I don't know to what degree I actually activate the saturation effects, but it often ends up sounding right to me in the end, so I don't question the process too much :-)

You're welcome!
dB

Blamsoft, is there any chance you will add a dark skin?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks for the idea.
Last edited by Blamsoft on Thu May 23, 2019 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Was the direct download link taken down? It looks now like you have to pay at least something to get the download link?

Last edited by Blamsoft on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”