Is it still worth buying Zebra2 (and The Dark Zebra)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And Zebra3 is going to be released any second now, right!?

I say, get Zebra2 now and enjoy an amazing synth immediately, and then thrill at the amazing upgrade price to Zebra3 whenever it might appear, maybe not even this year.

As for Dark Zebra, I just can't justify the price at the moment, unless you reeeally want/need the plugin and soundset, as it will always be a unique plugin on its own, regardless of Zebra3 advances.

Okay, maybe I'm not understanding just what Dark Zebra is. I always assumed it was an upgrade to Zebra 2, that those who got Dark Zebra got these additional features added to Zebra 2. Correct?

If that's the case and Zebra 3 is an upgrade from Zebra 2, why doesn't Zebra 3 contain the features added to Zebra 2 from Dark Zebra? If it doesn't, then it's only a partial upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

But, if the reality is that those who bought Dark Zebra will actually have something that ONLY works with Zebra 2, then not only is Zebra 3 a partial upgrade but those same people will have to keep Zebra 2 in order to continue using Dark Zebra.

In other words, I thought that getting Zebra 3 would be a replacement for Zebra 2 (just like with almost every other synth upgrade) and I wouldn't have to use Zebra 2 anymore.

So I guess my question is this. Will Dark Zebra also work with Zebra 3 or is it strictly for Zebra 2? If it's strictly for Zebra 2 then you essentially have two different synths (might as well call Zebra 3 Mongoose 1) and you're going to have to keep Zebra 2.

So is there somebody here, outside of Urs, who can tell me definitively what Zebra 3 does and doesn't give you and thus whether or not you do or don't have to keep Zebra 2?

Yes, I am totally confused.

wagtunes wrote:Okay, maybe I'm not understanding just what Dark Zebra is. I always assumed it was an upgrade to Zebra 2, that those who got Dark Zebra got these additional features added to Zebra 2. Correct?

If that's the case and Zebra 3 is an upgrade from Zebra 2, why doesn't Zebra 3 contain the features added to Zebra 2 from Dark Zebra? If it doesn't, then it's only a partial upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

But, if the reality is that those who bought Dark Zebra will actually have something that ONLY works with Zebra 2, then not only is Zebra 3 a partial upgrade but those same people will have to keep Zebra 2 in order to continue using Dark Zebra.

In other words, I thought that getting Zebra 3 would be a replacement for Zebra 2 (just like with almost every other synth upgrade) and I wouldn't have to use Zebra 2 anymore.

So I guess my question is this. Will Dark Zebra also work with Zebra 3 or is it strictly for Zebra 2? If it's strictly for Zebra 2 then you essentially have two different synths (might as well call Zebra 3 Mongoose 1) and you're going to have to keep Zebra 2.

So is there somebody here, outside of Urs, who can tell me definitively what Zebra 3 does and doesn't give you and thus whether or not you do or don't have to keep Zebra 2?

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. If you own dark zebra and buy zebra 3; your version of zebra 3 will be THE EXACT SAME as someone who buys zebra 3 who does not own dark zebra.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

wagtunes wrote: So in other words, Zebra 3, without Dark Zebra, is a minuscule upgrade from Zebra 2 and probably not even worth getting.
You have to admit, that's total hyperbole. You have no idea nor do any of us really, what Zebra 3 will have feature wise beyond some teasers. One thing is 100% certain though, Zebra is Urs's baby, and 3 will probably receive the same amount of love and upgrades that 2 has gotten over the years. The list is ridiculously long, eclipses any other product from U-He, and most not paid upgrades in plug ins. I actually cannot think of a single plug in that has had as many upgrades in a non paid cycle? Maschine sort of...

wagtunes wrote:Okay, maybe I'm not understanding just what Dark Zebra is. I always assumed it was an upgrade to Zebra 2, that those who got Dark Zebra got these additional features added to Zebra 2. Correct?

Dark Zebra is a soundset that contains a separate version of Zebra called Zebra HZ (necessary for the Dark Zebra presets). When you install, both Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ will be available in your host as 2 separate plugins...

Zebra 3 is going to be a re-write of Zebra 2. It will not be preset compatible with Zebra 2 (regardless of Zebra HZ). When Zebra 3 is released, most people will likely keep Zebra 2 installed for compatibility with existing projects.

U-he will continue to support Zebra 2 for some period of time. I assume that means bug fixes and OS compatibility but not new features.

For those who purchased Dark Zebra, it will also continue to work independent of Zebra 3 and I would guess that for as long as Zebra 2 is still supported, so will Zebra HZ.

There will be no Zebra 3 Dark Zebra (Zebra 3 HZ).

The name Zebra 3 makes sense (rather than Mongoose) because it is the continuation of Zebra and will use the same basic concept with the modules on the grid. Besides that, there will be big changes to Osc's, Filters, LFO's, etc etc.

U-he has learned a lot and developed much new tech since Zebra 2 was released. Diva, Bazille, ACE, Hive and RePro have all come along since Zebra 2 first shipped a decade ago. Zebra 2 has reached the point where maintaining preset compatibility is an impediment to further development and incorporating all the advances made over the past decade. So Zebra 3 is where a break from the past and preset compatibility happens.

The Dark Zebra, with the Zebra HZ install, was a one-off project and is confusing to others besides yourself. Hopefully this makes it a bit clearer.

wagtunes wrote: If that's the case and Zebra 3 is an upgrade from Zebra 2, why doesn't Zebra 3 contain the features added to Zebra 2 from Dark Zebra? If it doesn't, then it's only a partial upgrade as far as I'm concerned.
Zebra HZ was a list of feature requests from Howard Zinn, that U-He provided then marketed. As people have mentioned, for what Zebra 2 is, it's not 100% ideal in terms of signal path, so not all features in HZ will make it to Zebra 3.

If you want HZ, buy HZ, but U-He have determined that Z3 will go in a slightly different direction. No doubt it will be interesting. I cannot say whether you personally will appreciate it, but if you like Zebra, you will like Z3.

Also, any complaining about this is freaking moot to me! I upgraded from Zebra 1 for $25 and if Urs and co. offer that again for Z3 I cannot and would never complain. Most plug in developers treat existing owners like milk cows and offer "upgrades" at 1/2 or 2/5 off... :tantrum:

machinesworking wrote:
wagtunes wrote: If that's the case and Zebra 3 is an upgrade from Zebra 2, why doesn't Zebra 3 contain the features added to Zebra 2 from Dark Zebra? If it doesn't, then it's only a partial upgrade as far as I'm concerned.
Zebra HZ was a list of feature requests from Howard Zinn, that U-He provided then marketed. As people have mentioned, for what Zebra 2 is, it's not 100% ideal in terms of signal path, so not all features in HZ will make it to Zebra 3.

If you want HZ, buy HZ, but U-He have determined that Z3 will go in a slightly different direction. No doubt it will be interesting. I cannot say whether you personally will appreciate it, but if you like Zebra, you will like Z3.

Also, any complaining about this is freaking moot to me! I upgraded from Zebra 1 for $25 and if Urs and co. offer that again for Z3 I cannot and would never complain. Most plug in developers treat existing owners like milk cows and offer "upgrades" at 1/2 or 2/5 off... :tantrum:

I think IK is the worst company on earth for upgrades.

If I am not misstaken, I think Urs said once that owners of Zebra 2 + Dark Zebra will have free upgrade to Zebra 3. But I guess in the end it comes down to how many hours U-he team have to put into Zebra 3. For sure the cost (if any) will be very reasonable.

Repro-1 owners got Repro-5 upgrade for free and that was a very generous thing.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Yes Zebra 2 is one of the best virtual synths around.If you want the themeatic sounds and look of Dark Zebra then buy it.Im sure Urs will do some sort pf pathway to Zebra 3 fro 2 .As to when 3 will be out and what new features it has . who the f**k know or cares ,i know it will be good
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

risome wrote:Yes Zebra 2 is one of the best virtual synths around.If you want the themeatic sounds and look of Dark Zebra then buy it.Im sure Urs will do some sort pf pathway to Zebra 3 fro 2 .As to when 3 will be out and what new features it has . who the f**k knows or cares ,i know it will be good
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

ATS wrote: I think IK is the worst company on earth for upgrades.
IK are all about catching the "introductory" upgrade or sale price while having "jam points". I give them credit though for allowing your possible 30% jam point discount to be used on top of some special offer or introductory price.

It gets weird quick though. Amplitube 4 introduced at $99 special I didn't have any jam points at that time and I wasn't going to pay 2/3rds retail for an upgrade! So I was stuck on 3 until after I purchased ARC, and a sale dropped it back down to $99 and jam points dropped it to $70, a reasonable upgrade price for a $149 plug in. The fact I had to wait until I had enough freaking jam points shows how flawed and weird their system is though.

The purchase of Amplitube 4 gave enough jam points for 30% off their new mic for ARC 2, which is admirable, since hardware rarely gets upgrade pricing let alone upgrade pricing that you can use points for...

I agree though, it's a convoluted mess of a system, much like their horrible website! :lol: I love Amplitube though, and ARC does a great job.

machinesworking wrote:
ATS wrote: I think IK is the worst company on earth for upgrades.
IK are all about catching the "introductory" upgrade or sale price while having "jam points". I give them credit though for allowing your possible 30% jam point discount to be used on top of some special offer or introductory price.

It gets weird quick though. Amplitube 4 introduced at $99 special I didn't have any jam points at that time and I wasn't going to pay 2/3rds retail for an upgrade! So I was stuck on 3 until after I purchased ARC, and a sale dropped it back down to $99 and jam points dropped it to $70, a reasonable upgrade price for a $149 plug in. The fact I had to wait until I had enough freaking jam points shows how flawed and weird their system is though.

The purchase of Amplitube 4 gave enough jam points for 30% off their new mic for ARC 2, which is admirable, since hardware rarely gets upgrade pricing let alone upgrade pricing that you can use points for...

I agree though, it's a convoluted mess of a system, much like their horrible website! :lol: I love Amplitube though, and ARC does a great job.

I'm up to $123 jam points now, I have never found a sale to use them where it wasn't cheaper somewhere else.

machinesworking wrote: Zebra HZ was a list of feature requests from Howard Zinn, that U-He provided then marketed. As people have mentioned, for what Zebra 2 is, it's not 100% ideal in terms of signal path, so not all features in HZ will make it to Zebra 3.

HZ has the Diva filters... they don't really fit Zebra. Zebra 3 will not have the Diva filters, but I'm confident it will have some outstanding filters that have as good a sound quality and are not specific emulations and use less CPU. Zebra is not about emulation.

Zebra 3 is going to eclipse Zebra 2 (and HZ) in pretty much every other way. The Oscillators will be better, the filters will be better, the FX will be better, the MSEG's will be better etc. Zebra 3 will support MPE (Zebra 2 cannot)

Also Zebra 2 has had so many additions over the past decade, that it can use some streamlining. Zebra 3 provides the opportunity for that without concern for preset compatibility. And of course it provides the opportunity for cool new stuff we have not yet seen in a u-he synth! :tu:

machinesworking wrote: Zebra HZ was a list of feature requests from Howard Zinn
:dog:
HZ stands for the not entirely obscure film composer Hans Zimmer.

Synth programmer par excellence Howard Scarr created a host of Zebra 2 sounds for Zimmer's Batman score, using a custom version of Zebra 2 that was later marketed as Zebra HZ.

"Howard Zinn" was an author…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
machinesworking wrote: Zebra HZ was a list of feature requests from Howard Zinn
:dog:
HZ stands for the not entirely obscure film composer Hans Zimmer.

Synth programmer par excellence Howard Scarr created a host of Zebra 2 sounds for Zimmer's Batman score, using a custom version of Zebra 2 that was later marketed as Zebra HZ.

"Howard Zinn" was an author…

/Joachim

relax he just made a mistake on the name, he most likely meant to say the right one. It happens a lot when you get older like me :)

Return to “Instruments”