really terrible old sounds wanted

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
13253 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Aloysius wrote:I think it was just a joke but I could be wrong.
No, not a joke. We have a history. He has a serious problem with me and takes shots at me whenever he can. It's been a while so I guess he's either been ignoring me or hasn't found any opportunities. But he sure picked a great one there if I have to say so myself. I'm just tired of it. I'm not here nearly as much as I used to be, mostly because of people like him (yeah, finally got fed up) so when I don't do anything to warrant any insults, I don't expect to have to put up with them. But I guess that's not going to change and thus I guess I'm just going to get used to it, which is fine. That's why I asked, he can dish it out but can he take it? Because believe me, I can be just as insulting as any of the other assholes in this forum.

So yeah, if he wants to play the back and forth game, I'm good to go.

layzer
KVRAF
5512 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Re: really terrible old sounds wanted

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Wags has a music thread, plenty old fashioned low quality sounds in there
dude! thats no way to talk about Wag's omnisphere hollywood movie production level orchestrations! :x :x :x
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Shabdahbriah
KVRAF
4813 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Perhaps just play MIDI files using the built-in Microsoft synth. It lacks the thrill of the Casio auto-accompaniment factor, but is pretty cheesy. And, maybe get "band in a box", or some similar 'auto-compose' app, and use it for accompaniment.
Perception is the ultimate "reality" ~ but not, the ultimate Truth.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:09 pm

layzer wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Wags has a music thread, plenty old fashioned low quality sounds in there
dude! thats no way to talk about Wag's omnisphere hollywood movie production level orchestrations! :x :x :x
Another comic.

layzer
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm

wagtunes wrote:
layzer wrote:
Another comic.
whattttttttttttt......i went super light on ya there, Waggie! :clown:

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 pm

layzer wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
layzer wrote:
Another comic.
whattttttttttttt......i went super light on ya there, Waggie! :clown:
Hey, so did I

layzer
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Shabdahbriah wrote:Perhaps just play MIDI files using the built-in Microsoft synth. It lacks the thrill of the Casio auto-accompaniment factor, but is pretty cheesy. And, maybe get "band in a box", or some similar 'auto-compose' app, and use it for accompaniment.
the built in MS synth sounds too good in most new PCs believe it or not...almost as good as Omnisphere!

Shabdahbriah
KVRAF
4813 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 pm

layzer wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:Perhaps just play MIDI files using the built-in Microsoft synth. It lacks the thrill of the Casio auto-accompaniment factor, but is pretty cheesy. And, maybe get "band in a box", or some similar 'auto-compose' app, and use it for accompaniment.
the built in MS synth sounds too good in most new PCs believe it or not...almost as good as Omnisphere!
Really? I admit, I haven't heard it for well over a decade. I'm positive I have seen a Kontakt instrument (or SE synth, maybe?) or soundfont, made up of the sounds of an old built-in chipset, or ISA soundcard, but I can not find one searching. :shrug:
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Perception is the ultimate "reality" ~ but not, the ultimate Truth.

timwest
KVRer
22 posts since 21 Jan, 2018 from Sydney, Australia

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:52 pm

My brother bought a cheap Casio keyboard from the late 80s for like 10 bucks off eBay. We had so much fun making cheesy sounds.

Surprisingly, some of the patches sounded great when you ran them through a reverb and delay.

sinemotor
KVRist
124 posts since 24 Dec, 2015

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Come on guys, we don't need bad VSTs to make bad music. Just "pretend" you don't have tastes and that you don't know how to make music and it'll do it. It's just an ego thing!
wagtunes wrote:Korg M1 and Wavestation might do it for you.
I feel outraged. :lol:

layzer
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:03 pm

timwest wrote: Surprisingly, some of the patches sounded great when you ran them through a reverb and delay.
bingo! omni with effects disabled will get you there!

timwest
KVRer
22 posts since 21 Jan, 2018 from Sydney, Australia

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:30 pm

layzer wrote:
timwest wrote: Surprisingly, some of the patches sounded great when you ran them through a reverb and delay.
Can't say I've ever used or even heard Omnisphere before. Why is it so bad? :P Isn't it just like an all rounder synth?

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:49 pm

timwest wrote:
layzer wrote:
Can't say I've ever used or even heard Omnisphere before. Why is it so bad? :P Isn't it just like an all rounder synth?
He's taking cheap shots at one of the most widely used synths in cinema and television because he thinks he can get a million dollar sound out of Synth1 and a $10 effect.

In short, just ignore him.

Russell Grand
KVRian
1313 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Too much ganging up on WAG, too little advice for the OP...

KVRAF
3065 posts since 27 Dec, 2002 from North East England

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

How about the old Amiga Soundtracker sample packs? The ST-01 contains the largest number of recognisable sounds, but there are loads of wonderfully horrible sounds that might ring a bell spread over the entire ST-XX range. It's fairly easy to find .wav converted versions to load into a modern DAW/sampler. Small selection of the 100-odd sounds featured on ST-01 below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E0K2-GI51o

Return to “Instruments”