Blue3- vintage tonewheel organ v2 is out !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Blue3

seangm wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:13 pm That used to be an old trick that a lot of people used, I know Keith Emerson used it. I don't know if it caused any damage or not to the organ. Just don't do this to your Hammond:
Haha, Keith could be a bit harsh on that old Hammond, couldn't he! One of the times I saw him, he stabbed the organ and left the knife holding some keys (standard procedure), and then climbed inside of the organ and lowered it on top of him (like a clam shell). I was more concerned with him getting a helluva shock under there than any fear of his knife play. Who else was such a showman with the keys!?

"OMG, where's my knife stabbing organ!?!?"

I remember Tony Banks using this switch trick on early Genesis records. It was the pitch bending of the day! Trippy!

SciFiArtMan wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:34 pm
seangm wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:13 pm That used to be an old trick that a lot of people used, I know Keith Emerson used it. I don't know if it caused any damage or not to the organ. Just don't do this to your Hammond:
Haha, Keith could be a bit harsh on that old Hammond, couldn't he! One of the times I saw him, he stabbed the organ and left the knife holding some keys (standard procedure), and then climbed inside of the organ and lowered it on top of him (like a clam shell). I was more concerned with him getting a helluva shock under there than any fear of his knife play. Who else was such a showman with the keys!?

"OMG, where's my knife stabbing organ!?!?"

I remember Tony Banks using this switch trick on early Genesis records. It was the pitch bending of the day! Trippy!
Wow I would loved to have seen that in person, what a wildman. I wouldn't have wanted to be his keyboard tech trying to repair that thing after each show (I would hope he had more than one organ out on the road with him as a backup with that kind of nightly beating going on)

seangm wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 pm ...(I would hope he had more than one organ out on the road with him as a backup with that kind of nightly beating going on)
As far as I know those L100 knife organs were onstage specifically for that act, as it had missing keys (and then didn't) at various times, usually just on the upper register, but sometimes on the lowers keys too. So it wasn't really playable as a sole organ.

ELP was always particularly dynamic and exciting, sometimes even in quad sound too. Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, UK, PFM, all had exciting shows too for various reasons, but ELP was always special, and mostly due to Keith's unpredictable stage antics and persona!

SciFiArtMan wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:51 pm
seangm wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 pm ...(I would hope he had more than one organ out on the road with him as a backup with that kind of nightly beating going on)
As far as I know those L100 knife organs were onstage specifically for that act, as it had missing keys (and then didn't) at various times, usually just on the upper register, but sometimes on the lowers keys too. So it wasn't really playable as a sole organ.

ELP was always particularly dynamic and exciting, sometimes even in quad sound too. Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, UK, PFM, all had exciting shows too for various reasons, but ELP was always special, and mostly due to Keith's unpredictable stage antics and persona!
Cool info! thanks

Didn't see it mentioned here, but there was an update to Blue3 and Spin the other day.
From the release notes :

Blue3
----------------------------
• Corrected a situation where Invert Drawbars was not sticking
• Corrected a bug where Speed control was not automating correctly
Spin
• Corrected a MIDI Learning bug
• Corrected a bug where Speed control was not automating correctly

- Jay

after the start-up toggle, we need Ray to add a virtual figure of Keith, who will jump out of nowhere and start violating Blue3 badly. because, obviously, none of us can pull off those tricks effectively.

Ray, how about this "oddball request that is simply insane"? :lol:
I just listened to the Blue3 audio samples
never listen to just samples. Blue3 and Spin are extremely tweakable, download a demo, cook up your own sound. I quit trusting samples long ago, whether they are good or bad. good or too good can mean there's trickery behind the scenes and a product doesn't really sound this amazing, while bad could be a man behind the samples just lacks skills. DIY.
Last edited by Dullee on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dullee wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:07 am ...good or too good can mean there's trickery behind the scenes and a product doesn't really sound this amazing, while bad could be a man behind the samples just lacks skills.
Good points, Dullee!

Ray Has quietly updated Blue3 to 2.1.1 and Spin to 1.0.3 !
It's shown here as being 2.1.0, but the actual download says ver 2.1.1.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/blue3-by-gg-audio

This is from the release notes :
Release Notes - Blue3
• Fixed a possible crash when bypassing the plugin very quickly

• Pitch bend functionality added
Release Notes - Spin
• Fixed a possible crash when bypassing the plugin very quickly

• Corrected a random crash situation
The Spin crash was something I was getting, when using the Plug&Mix Chainer app to host VST2 Spin, it's now fixed in latest version.

- Jay

seangm wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:32 pm
Spitfire31 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:48 pm Blue3 doesn't have the two-toggle power up, so there's not much to power down. Yet… ;-)

/Joachim
Please add my vote to have the two-toggle "pitch bend" effect added to Blue 3, it was fun to do that with the real beast back when I actually owned one.
While we didn't add it as an actual Start/Run switch toggle, we did add pitch-bend.

Enjoy. 8)

What I would really love to see (B-5 has it) would be the percussion without decay like Jimmy Smith had it for a while.

GG Audio wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:33 pm
seangm wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:32 pm
Spitfire31 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:48 pm Blue3 doesn't have the two-toggle power up, so there's not much to power down. Yet… ;-)

/Joachim
Please add my vote to have the two-toggle "pitch bend" effect added to Blue 3, it was fun to do that with the real beast back when I actually owned one.
While we didn't add it as an actual Start/Run switch toggle, we did add pitch-bend.

Enjoy. 8)
Awesome! Not all developers are as responsive to their user base, especially with an off the wall request like that

I work with quite a few Gospel artist and could use another B3 emulation. Blue3 is definitely added to my VST wish list.

Thank you, Ray! While my request was made with a twinkle in the left eye, it's great to be able to add that nostalgic touch once in a blue moon.

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

rasmusklump wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:18 pm What I would really love to see (B-5 has it) would be the percussion without decay like Jimmy Smith had it for a while.
How did that work? Doesn't percussion by definition necessarily need to decay? It would just be like having the 4' or 2 2/3' drawbar pulled out if it didn't decay away. No??

Isn't that called "Paradise mod", commonly? VB3-II has it.

(And no, it doesn't sound exactly the same as if the matching drawbar was pulled out.)

Return to “Instruments”