What makes a synth suitable for "electronic dance music"?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:still no idea what "modular fart music" is?
It's where you have kebab meat, tandoori chicken and jalapeño peppers on the same pizza. I may demonstrate later.

donkey tugger wrote:
It's where you have kebab meat, tandoori chicken and jalapeño peppers on the same pizza. I may demonstrate later.

ah! a gourmet diner i see :hihi:

vurt wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:

ah! a gourmet diner i see :hihi:
The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Fat Freddy is farting all the time in that notorious comic which no one of you EDM youngsters know... :party:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YpSgp ... yAcMzfyOnF

Just a little example of what I want my synths to sound like. No mastering processing, even no limiter, some synths do have an OTT style compressor, but most of them don't, just a classic peak compression, -2 GR average.

Not saying it's any good, and definitely not the fattest sounding piece of audio, just messing around a bit :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

when it comes to dance music in general, would the sounds the likes of orbital used still be relevant? not necessarily in psy of course.
or early aphex twin, is there still stuff like "didgeridoo" around for example? but in a more modern form?

vurt wrote:when it comes to dance music in general, would the sounds the likes of orbital used still be relevant? not necessarily in psy of course.
or early aphex twin, is there still stuff like "didgeridoo" around for example? but in a more modern form?
EDM is pretty diverse, but I doubt you will find "orbital" or "aphex" type tracks in any popularity chart. It's mostly overproduced vocal synth-pop made using nexus presets or songs with sampled vocals played with a sampler as melody instrument or mangled with melodyne or similar + lots of reverb, or wobbles /fm noises, or trance hypersaws synths+piano, or hip-hop beats + brass+ random synths, or high pitched sounds with lots of portamento , or occasionally something with ethnic vocals over a techno/trance/hip-hop beat.

Well that's like saying what makes a fish suitable for a "seafood platter." I think just being a synth makes it suitable for EDM, and there are many ways to prepare it.

You could just ask how does one go about using a synth in EDM, but you might as well be asking why did the chicken cross the road.

That was my long answer, the short answer is the producer or engineer that is behind it. A synth can have all sorts of wiz bang sounds, but I think you might be inadvertently insulting top EDM producers and sound designers.

I kind of get your drift as far as having some sort of magical feature set, but in the end it is the user not the synth.

Sorry if I seem off base, but I just can't help but think that you must suck if you don't already know the answer.

I don't know what else to say, except for that is EDM. lol

Edit: I knew I should have put a little more thought into the analogies. I'll have to rethink it.

For last 20 years simple answer is supersaw - if you can't produce something similar your synth is not edm.
For example Tone2 Firebird is not edm synth,despite it can do a lot of stuff except classic supersaw detuning,but Synth1 to me is total edm related cause sound amazing when detuning and so on.
Sylenth1 is 'classic' edm synth,that's why is so popular and used ,just make you do edm stuff - i was not typical edm producer but since i use it my ideas become more and more edm-ish so must be the synth that cause it or inspire you to look in that direction,don't know it's subjective but it's fact.Cheerz :)

anomandaris1 wrote:
vurt wrote:when it comes to dance music in general, would the sounds the likes of orbital used still be relevant? not necessarily in psy of course.
EDM is pretty diverse, but I doubt you will find "orbital" or "aphex" type tracks in any popularity chart. It's mostly overproduced vocal synth-pop made using nexus presets or songs with sampled vocals played with a sampler as melody instrument or mangled with melodyne or similar + lots of reverb, or wobbles /fm noises, or trance hypersaws synths+piano, or hip-hop beats + brass+ random synths, or high pitched sounds with lots of portamento , or occasionally something with ethnic vocals over a techno/trance/hip-hop beat.
i don't necessarily mean those acts, but a modern equivalent, maybe not at the forefront of things, but that style anywhere? or if i wanted to go out dancing am i going to be looking for "retro nights" have i l become that old? :cry:

happy to note in another thread, eat static seem to still be getting some love :)
so the world has not gone completely off the rails :hihi:

I think what you need to do is look at history even going as far back as the early 1900s. Music is constantly evolving. I'm sure the people listening to Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and so many others of the kind back in the 40s thought that this was going to be music forever. It wasn't. And what we think is going to be music forever now, no matter how long it seems to have "survived" won't be either. Take that to the bank.

What does this have to do with the topic? Simple. What's suitable today may not be suitable tomorrow. For all we know, synth music itself may fall out of style.

Anybody want to bet their life that it'll never happen?

Nobody knows what the future holds.

wagtunes wrote:
john titor does.

vurt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
john titor does.
I don't know who he is but I doubt it.

sorry, can't help :(
if only modern technology gave us some way to find out such things :cry:

vurt wrote:sorry, can't help :(
if only modern technology gave us some way to find out such things :cry:
Ha, ha. Funny. Looked him up. Never heard of him.

i listen to a lot of weird talk radio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

he's from 2036 :o

Return to “Instruments”