Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Glad to see it's being worked on. This is one juicy synth with a lot of character :)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm
mutantdog wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm
esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:05 pm
mutantdog wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm Some problem here with no GUI in Live 10 on Win10
can ya try the 11th january 2019 (or newer) build at https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ and see if it still happens?
This issue was resolved with one of the 1.6 builds.
awesome! are you seeing any other issues lately?
the volunteer devs can't fix something they're not aware of, so any bug report, no matter how vague, is worth writing. well, the less vague the better :)
I posted an issue with the installer routine a week ago. Was there anything else you need (other than the OS, which is 64-bit Windows 7)?

Steve
planetearth wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:10 am I guess we have to create accounts on Github to report issues now, right? Because I just downloaded and installed the "Windows 64-bit VST/VST3" version (1.7), and the installer doesn't work properly. I had downloaded the v.1.7 version from https://kzantow.github.io/surge.

I had uninstalled my 1.6.0.b3 VST2 version before trying to install the 1.7 VST3 version. When I went to install the v.1.7 VST3 version, it said a previous VST2 version was installed, and that, even though I didn't select the VST2 version in this new (v.1.7) VST3 install, it would not uninstall the old version. That would be fine, except that when I uninstalled the VST2 version before attempting to install the new version, it removed everything--including the folder the VST2 files were in. There was no .DLL or installer files left for the old version.

So I told it to install the VST3 version anyway...and all it did was put the uninstaller files in my VST2 folder, and a .DLL (not a .VST3) file in my VST3 folder. I ended up with a broken uninstaller (since there was nothing in the VST2 folder to remove), and a .DLL where .VST3 files should be.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 pm
Delta Sign wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 pm Esaruoho, maybe you should put the link to the latest builds in your signature. I think many people are still using the old builds from Claes/Kurasu, which indeed had problems with right-clicks and stuff.

Thanks for the great work, by the way :tu:
good idea! done.
Is there a reason that the latest Windows version download (dated January 11) says it's version 1.6 when you go to download it? I downloaded version 1.7 on January 3, and I was hoping for a newer version that might fix the installer issues I reported.

Thanks.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:22 pm
teilo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 pm Are you sure that's the problem? Their status page reports everything is up, but the link on your page currently points to the /releases directory, not to a specific file. The Windows download is working fine.
the /releases releases are outdated - this is being worked on.

the kzantow has 2019 builds from the original github repository, with many many fixes, compared to the /releases folder.

there's background work and lots of plumbing going on, moving kzantow's automated builders, into /releases - but this has not yet happened.
Sorry, but when I say /releases, I mean the link on kzantow. Your current link for Mac, labeled "macOS 64-bit AU/VST/VST3 - 2019-01-11" currently points to: "https://kzantow.github.io/surge/releases/" and not to a file. Thus the 404.

planetearth wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm
Delta Sign wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 pm Esaruoho, maybe you should put the link to the latest builds in your signature. I think many people are still using the old builds from Claes/Kurasu, which indeed had problems with right-clicks and stuff.

good idea! done.
Is there a reason that the latest Windows version download (dated January 11) says it's version 1.6 when you go to download it? I downloaded version 1.7 on January 3, and I was hoping for a newer version that might fix the installer issues I reported.

Thanks.

Steve
We incorrectly labeled one release 1.7 and then realized our error. A 1.7 Surge is a very early alpha and the latest builds are newer. Think of it like one of those upside down plane stamps. Except it has a lot of unfixed bugs.

To see your build click on about. If the about page says 1.6, has a build time and date, and mentions the gpl you are more recent than the fake 1.7. The build time and date let’s you know the vintage. Lots of changes happening so a 3 week old surge right now is rather old,

baconpaul wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 pm
planetearth wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm

good idea! done.

Thanks.

Steve
We incorrectly labeled one release 1.7 and then realized our error. A 1.7 Surge is a very early alpha and the latest builds are newer. Think of it like one of those upside down plane stamps. Except it has a lot of unfixed bugs.

To see your build click on about. If the about page says 1.6, has a build time and date, and mentions the gpl you are more recent than the fake 1.7. The build time and date let’s you know the vintage. Lots of changes happening so a 3 week old surge right now is rather old,
Thanks for the explanation. Do you think that's why I had the installer routine problems that I mentioned last week (and again a few posts ago)?

Steve

Hello,

I'm very interested in adapting wavetables for Surge using existing media - started to do this a couple of months ago; but It's a little tedious because the wt info is somewhat cryptic - I'd love to get some clarity.

OK, from the wt info file:

byte
0-3 'wavt' as text/big-endian-
the rest of the data is in little-endian types
4-7 wave_size size of each wave, max: 1024 (v1.2)
8-9 wave_count number of waves, max: 512 (v1.2)
10-11 flags
12-end wave data in float32 format. 4*wave_size*wave_count bytes

1st (5) lines of code from: *\surgedata\wavetables\generated\primes.wt

00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F

76 61 77 74 00 04 00 00 20 00 04 00 00 00 8C 0E
9D 11 87 13 13 15 EB 16 9E 17 CD 18 6D 19 DF 1A
3F 1B 0D 1C 72 1D D9 1E 97 1F DC 1F 00 20 24 21
DB 21 62 23 5C 23 41 24 3C 25 D5 26 17 27 CE 24
2D 25 B4 27 97 27 45 28 E6 29 83 2B 66 2C D8 2C
61 2C 42 2A 80 2A 80 2A 34 2B D9 2A 0A 2D 9C 2D

1st (4) character are: 'vawt' as confirmed earlier; (4-7) 00 04 00 00 are the wave size (be nice to get the 'key' on this - what #'s placed where specify what wave length - I'm assuming that it would specify some standard power of (2) - 64/128/256/512/1024. I found through experimentation that if I weren't careful with specifying, that Surge would read 'off the end of the file' - essentially going 'out of range' and crash). (8-9) 20 00 would be the wave count of the wavetable - again: a 'key' would be useful. (10-11) 04 00 - flags - how are these used?

Hi,

I assume that https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ is where the latest versions are? I just tried to download the Mac file: macOS 64-bit AU/VST/VST3 - 2019-01-12 and I get a 404… ;-(

The Win one appears to be available.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

- It was absolutely astonishing to see Surge go open source, btw - this is a synth that all but demands to be made a darling of by the open source community - it definitely still hold up after a decade. Yes: the GUI could use some serious updating; but I found through experimentation by taking a hex editor to a few wavetables (you can c/p *other* wavetable data onto an existing file and save it as long as it's compatible - it's pretty easy to do) that Surge will take you into some interesting waters sonically.

planetearth wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm Is there a reason that the latest Windows version download (dated January 11) says it's version 1.6 when you go to download it? I downloaded version 1.7 on January 3, and I was hoping for a newer version that might fix the installer issues I reported.
Yep these are in flux. Best go by date. The january builds are newer than any ”1.7”. The 1.7 was an error. There is no 1.7. Just newer builds of 1.6. I know it is confusing. After installing, click on About to see date. If date is 11th January 2019 or newer, it is newer than any 1.6 or 1.7 you might have downloaded earlier.

Spitfire31 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 am Hi,

I assume that https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ is where the latest versions are? I just tried to download the Mac file: macOS 64-bit AU/VST/VST3 - 2019-01-12 and I get a 404… ;-(

The Win one appears to be available.
Just clicked on dmg (there are two links per line) and it loaded fine..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

teilo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 pm Sorry, but when I say /releases, I mean the link on kzantow. Your current link for Mac, labeled "macOS 64-bit AU/VST/VST3 - 2019-01-11" currently points to: "https://kzantow.github.io/surge/releases/" and not to a file. Thus the 404.
Weird. It must have been fixed over the night because i am not seeing this happen any more. Still going on? Pls join the Slack and ping me for a macOS packager.

esaruoho wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:55 am
planetearth wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm Is there a reason that the latest Windows version download (dated January 11) says it's version 1.6 when you go to download it? I downloaded version 1.7 on January 3, and I was hoping for a newer version that might fix the installer issues I reported.
Yep these are in flux. Best go by date. The january builds are newer than any ”1.7”. The 1.7 was an error. There is no 1.7. Just newer builds of 1.6. I know it is confusing. After installing, click on About to see date. If date is 11th January 2019 or newer, it is newer than any 1.6 or 1.7 you might have downloaded earlier.
Thanks, but can I get an explanation about the installer routine issue? I've asked about it twice so far. Earlier today, I even copied my original post from a week ago. You'll find it a few posts up from this one.

Steve

planetearth wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 am
esaruoho wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:55 am
Thanks, but can I get an explanation about the installer routine issue? I've asked about it twice so far. Earlier today, I even copied my original post from a week ago. You'll find it a few posts up from this one.

Steve
Are you seeing this installer issue on the January build?

goldenanalog wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:43 am - It was absolutely astonishing to see Surge go open source, btw - this is a synth that all but demands to be made a darling of by the open source community - it definitely still hold up after a decade. Yes: the GUI could use some serious updating; but I found through experimentation by taking a hex editor to a few wavetables (you can c/p *other* wavetable data onto an existing file and save it as long as it's compatible - it's pretty easy to do) that Surge will take you into some interesting waters sonically.
No need to overwrite existing: just create your own folder under wavetable (or was it wavetables?) folder and place them there. Then start Surge. (The folders are read once Upon initialisation of Surge, not dynamically).

Return to “Instruments”