SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3 SampleTank 4 SampleTank 4 MAX SampleTank 4 SE SampleTank Custom Shop

Ahhhh, no Miro is why I don't have them. Thanks!

zzz00m wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:30 am Cathedral Organ 1-5 are in my Miro library.

Modena Cathedral Organ 1-3 and a few others are in my ST3 library.
OK, one mystery solved apparently. How about the Bass Pedals Only preset? Is that there with the other Miro instruments, and if so, does it play back only silence?

So, I have another concern about Miroslav in ST4. I was comparing it with the equivalent in ST3, and was happy to see that the key-switched string sections (violin, cello, etc.) had many more articulations in ST4 (two to three times as many as in ST3). However, although the violin and bass key-switched presets have at least one looped sustain, neither violas nor cellos have any articulation option that sustains. To my mind, this makes the strings all but useless. I make no claim to expertise in things orchestral, but I cannot imagine how one could use a string library where the maximum length of all instrument samples was only 5 or 6 seconds.

I have not checked out brass or woodwinds to see if there's a similar issue going on.

dmbaer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:16 pm
zzz00m wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:30 am Cathedral Organ 1-5 are in my Miro library.

Modena Cathedral Organ 1-3 and a few others are in my ST3 library.
OK, one mystery solved apparently. How about the Bass Pedals Only preset? Is that there with the other Miro instruments, and if so, does it play back only silence?
Don't seem to have "Bass Pedals Only". Which version of Miro are you running? Mine is Miro 2 CE.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

dmbaer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:21 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:39 pm
The installation and authorization manual is in the downloaded files and on the USB stick. There is also a free download & authorization video (plus 3 more free) from Groove 3 available at
https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Getti ... mpleTank-4 for those with an account there (even a free one).
Thanks, Peter. I will review the installation manual. Maybe I thought once I had the software authorized I needed no further reading of the documentation. Serious "mea culpa" if the answers were there all along. I will check out the Groove 3 videos again as well, although I did watch the entire series before I tried downloading the software and content.
OK, I was not negligent about skipping documentation. The install guide has zero information or guidance about installing ST4 sounds. It only addresses installing and authorizing the executable software (which is pretty much what I expected, having installed a great many IKM titles in the past).

So, I did what seemed obvious. I downloaded and unzipped the many files. I ran the single install executable in each one. And that's it. If there are more steps required, I have no clue as to what they might be. So I repeat the question. I am seeing about 220 G of newly installed content (having skipped the downloads for the seven ST3 content install files). Is this in the ballpark of what should be there for a full ST4 max install?

dmbaer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm However, although the violin and bass key-switched presets have at least one looped sustain, neither violas nor cellos have any articulation option that sustains.
Mine have them.

zzz00m wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:24 pm Don't seem to have "Bass Pedals Only". Which version of Miro are you running? Mine is Miro 2 CE.
I am not at my DAW at the moment. However, I can tell you that it is for certain not something in ST3 because I installed ST4 (Max) on a different drive and have ST4 pointing at only the new content. So, wherever the organ presets I have access to come from, they are definitely not ST3 legacy sounds.

I am not at my DAW but I'm 99% certain we are talking about Miro 2 CE. I will check by clicking on Miro 2 CE and excluding everything else. If Bass Pedals Only disappears, that means it's not in Miro 2 CE (but won't of course tell us where it actually lives). Stay tuned.

zzz00m wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:36 pm
dmbaer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm However, although the violin and bass key-switched presets have at least one looped sustain, neither violas nor cellos have any articulation option that sustains.
Mine have them.
What the #$%^? Which viola and cello articulations sustain, if I may ask? Also, to be clear, I'm talking about 8 Violas preset marked as KS and the 5 Cellos preset marked as KS. On your system, how many key-switches are present. I'm wondering if you are seeing the ST3 versions of these presets.

By the way, before anybody asks, I did install the content update. However, I did not run the ST3 content install, so I wonder if that might explain the differences in what we're seeing.

dmbaer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:47 pm
zzz00m wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:36 pm
Mine have them.
What the #$%^? Which viola and cello articulations sustain, if I may ask? Also, to be clear, I'm talking about 8 Violas preset marked as KS and the 5 Cellos preset marked as KS. On your system, how many key-switches are present. I'm wondering if you are seeing the ST3 versions of these presets.

By the way, before anybody asks, I did install the content update. However, I did not run the ST3 content install, so I wonder if that might explain the differences in what we're seeing.
I did not run the included ST3 content installers, as my ST3 content (including Miro 2 CE and Syntronik) was from a pre-existing install of ST3 standard. I only installed the new ST4 MAX content, and used a new path for that.

The Viola and Cello sustain articulations are found in these KS presets.

In the Miro 2 CE library:
KS Viola Multi
KS 8 Violas Multi
KS 8 Violas Multi + 1st Viola
KS Cellos Multi
KS 5 Cellos Multi
KS 5 Cellos Multi + 1st Cello

In the SampleTank 3 library:
KS Viola Multi
KS Violas Multi
KS Cello Multi
KS Cellos Multi

In the SampleTank 4 library:
*no KS strings presets found*

dmbaer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:30 pm So, I did what seemed obvious. I downloaded and unzipped the many files. I ran the single install executable in each one. And that's it. If there are more steps required, I have no clue as to what they might be. So I repeat the question. I am seeing about 220 G of newly installed content (having skipped the downloads for the seven ST3 content install files). Is this in the ballpark of what should be there for a full ST4 max install?
Yes, you download each sound library zip and unzip, run the executable, and that's it for the sound content installation. Since you had ST3 content already installed you are correct that you would not need to do that (though even if you had ST3 MAX, note that London Grooves and Cinematic Percussion were not part of that bundle so you'd want to install those).

200GB+ is definitely in the right ballpark of a full ST4 MAX install.

zzz00m wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:24 pm Don't seem to have "Bass Pedals Only". Which version of Miro are you running? Mine is Miro 2 CE.
My error - very sorry. I mis-transcribed my notes. The preset name is "Bass Pedals". The "Only" was in my hastily-scribbled notes.

My ST4 has the following organ patches - all from Phil 2 CE:

Bass Pedals
Cathedral Organ 1
Cathedral Organ 2
Cathedral Organ 3
Cathedral Organ 4
Cathedral Organ 5
Cathedral Organ Flutes

The problems I am seeing in the above are that a) Cath. Org. 4 and 5 seem to be identical, and b) Bass Pedals is nothing but silence.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:22 pm 200GB+ is definitely in the right ballpark of a full ST4 MAX install.
I discovered that a block of install file executions had been done incorrectly (pointing at a second install directory) - with well over 250 separate manual steps required to install the content, it should be no surprise that errors are all too likely. I reinstalled all of those and now appear to have all ST4 content under a single master directory and the total size of the contents of that directory is 209G. However, having rebuilt the database, the ST4 icon in the left hand list still has an arrow image - ST4 is still not seeing that as present. I have not yet checked to see if it's seeing *any* of the new ST4 instruments or just the older content like Miro. Phil.

I'm still waiting for the next maintenance release before contacting support on that aspect of my problems.
Last edited by dmbaer on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzz00m wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:18 pm I did not run the included ST3 content installers, as my ST3 content (including Miro 2 CE and Syntronik) was from a pre-existing install of ST3 standard. I only installed the new ST4 MAX content, and used a new path for that.

The Viola and Cello sustain articulations are found in these KS presets.

In the Miro 2 CE library:
KS Viola Multi
KS 8 Violas Multi
KS 8 Violas Multi + 1st Viola
KS Cellos Multi
KS 5 Cellos Multi
KS 5 Cellos Multi + 1st Cello

In the SampleTank 3 library:
KS Viola Multi
KS Violas Multi
KS Cello Multi
KS Cellos Multi

In the SampleTank 4 library:
*no KS strings presets found*
This is exactly what I am seeing (but using ST3 to get to the ST3 content since I don't have ST4 configured to point to ST3 content).

In [KS] 8 Violas Multi, I see 16 articulations (with 16 keyswitches). Not a single one of these is looped. The articulation names start with "Sustain mf, Sustain pp, Sustain p" and so on.

In [KS] 5 Cellos Multi, I see 25 articulations. Not a single one of these is looped. The articulation names start with "Sustain A, Sustain B" and so on.

While we're on the subject of keyswitches, I must say that I think the decision to replace the popup window showing keyswitch assignments in ST3 with a drop down list of articulation names (but no key names) was a big mistake. ST3 did this in a very helpful fashion. ST4 not so much. Really bad design choice IMO.

dmbaer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:44 pm
The problems I am seeing in the above are that a) Cath. Org. 4 and 5 seem to be identical, and b) Bass Pedals is nothing but silence.
Cath. Org. 4 and 5 sound very similar, but I can hear a slight difference in the volume. Don't see any obvious differences in the edit window, except for the element name.

Bass pedals are also very, very low, but not silent. Playing around in the edit window, I can bring them up a bit, but cannot normalize them.

Has anyone got the grid unlocked in ST4? Mine is locked, but authorised fine, and located in the correct location. Going in circles with IK support. Interested if your grid in ST4 is showing a locked icon or not?

Return to “Instruments”