Polyphony vs. Paraphony

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jupiter8 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:11 pm I was thinking about a single env for all voices. I believe it has that too. For the single VCF.
Yes, you are right!
jupiter8 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:11 pm I have a feeling i'm going to get a headache from that.... :D
Indeed... pretty unique concept... :hihi:

Cheers, Björn

S0lo wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 pm Might be a d*mb question but I'll try anyway.

I'm aware of the technical differences between the two (well, I should). But I would love to hear a musicians perspective of why and for what would they choose one instead of the other.

And, let me put this in another way. If you had two identical subtractive synths. Exactly the same architecture. Except that one of them is a poly and the other is para. When would you choose the para over the poly?
I wouldn’t ever choose a paraphonic over the same synth that was polyphonic. It’s just a shortcut to save money. I have two paraphonic instruments (Pro 2 and a Dominion 1) and they’re very cool in their own right, but that’s only because polyphonic versions of those instruments would be very expensive.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I second that if it comes to hardware. IIRC I never used my Mono/Poly's "Poly" mode, it just sounds too thin.

In case of free VST instruments, well, the situation is a bit different. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Björn

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:12 pm
S0lo wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 pm Might be a d*mb question but I'll try anyway.

I'm aware of the technical differences between the two (well, I should). But I would love to hear a musicians perspective of why and for what would they choose one instead of the other.

And, let me put this in another way. If you had two identical subtractive synths. Exactly the same architecture. Except that one of them is a poly and the other is para. When would you choose the para over the poly?
I wouldn’t ever choose a paraphonic over the same synth that was polyphonic. It’s just a shortcut to save money. I have two paraphonic instruments (Pro 2 and a Dominion 1) and they’re very cool in their own right, but that’s only because polyphonic versions of those instruments would be very expensive.
I see
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Return to “Instruments”