XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MissOptimyst wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:58 am I’ve been thinking of getting this down the road since I don’t really love Ultrabeat in Logic. Are you able to pitch individual notes inside the plugin or do you have to dial that midi over in via the DAW to achieve this? Not expecting so, but just curious. Looks like a really creative drum tool.
Yep, like someone else pointed out, you can only change the pitch of a sample per track, not per note. You can work around it by copying the track to another and change the pitch there, but its far from ideal. That's one of the improvements I'd like to see along with;

An increased amount of steps on screen in the sequencer (maybe toggle between expanding the sequencer view and the beat combiner section).
A randomiser that brings in new beat combiner patterns (the ones extracted from presets).
The ability to play in rhythms in the sequencer, including pitch. I'm not much of a clicker when it comes to rhythm.

All that being said, the software is still amazing as it is.

stikygum wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:02 am Does anyone think that XLN Audio is working on an upgrade to XO? I hope they are. I like this software a lot, and enjoy everything it offers. Great features, great simplicity. With that said I think I'm going to try to demo Sugar Bytes DrumComputer to try to sequence XO, sine it's sequencer has the perfect balance of features.

Anyone send emails to XLN Audio for suggestions?
I 'think' they probably will be - its a feature product for them (first on their website) and I think it has done quite well for them. You don't see many licences come up for sale on KVR!

I dint know how people make suggestion to them- but I expect they know most people want the sequencer to be upgrade and there are a lot of good ideas on this thread, so just send them the link ;-) They do have a Facebook page, another good place to make suggestion...https://www.facebook.com/xlnaudio.music
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I hope that XLN will add more features to XO in the near future. I want to move from battery 3 cause it's sometimes glitchy and of course to fulfill my GAS 😊.

Is there a way to have more than two patterns per patch?

RexBanner wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:51 pm Is there a way to have more than two patterns per patch?
No. Extending the sequencer length/additional patterns is a requested feature that's been mentioned many times in this thread.

m-ac wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:31 am
MissOptimyst wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:58 am I’ve been thinking of getting this down the road since I don’t really love Ultrabeat in Logic. Are you able to pitch individual notes inside the plugin or do you have to dial that midi over in via the DAW to achieve this? Not expecting so, but just curious. Looks like a really creative drum tool.
Yep, like someone else pointed out, you can only change the pitch of a sample per track, not per note. You can work around it by copying the track to another and change the pitch there, but its far from ideal. That's one of the improvements I'd like to see along with;

An increased amount of steps on screen in the sequencer (maybe toggle between expanding the sequencer view and the beat combiner section).
A randomiser that brings in new beat combiner patterns (the ones extracted from presets).
The ability to play in rhythms in the sequencer, including pitch. I'm not much of a clicker when it comes to rhythm.

All that being said, the software is still amazing as it is.
Ah oh well. Not a dealbreaker was just curious! I think I saw a feature where you can drag the midi to your DAW by each sample. Hopefully I could edit in piano roll after that or find a way to make it work.

MissOptimyst wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:39 am Ah oh well. Not a dealbreaker was just curious! I think I saw a feature where you can drag the midi to your DAW by each sample. Hopefully I could edit in piano roll after that or find a way to make it work.
You can drag the midi in but you still wont be able to change pitch with the piano roll - you'd have to use automation on the pitch of that samples track. Pretty clunky way to work in reality.

stikygum wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:09 am
cowby wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:59 pm
I only have XO but my friend has both and he told me that Drumcomputer can sequence XO as well!
In what way, is the midi routed from Drum Computer directly into XO? The sequencer seems to do a little more in Drum Computer and could be fun to play with it's different sequencer options to control XO.

Drum Computer could have beat out XO if it allowed sample import and had something like the Space feature in XO. I think trying different drum sounds out with different drum grooves is XO's strength obviously. And Drum Computer might have a better sequencer or at least better sequencer options. I have to play around with XO more to see if I find it's sequencer not enough, but so far I really find it's simplicity great for both coming up with sequences and trying out different samples in the sequences.
Yes, just simple midi routing. Make DC as an input in XO channel.

I think for the time being (until XO has a stronger sequencer), the best bet is to buy Drumcomputer to MIDI-Out the drum sequence to XO. That being said, you have both strong drum VST in the world, one is sample based and the other is "analog" based. Drum computer's has 16 patterns and it got Remix, Randomize, euclidean (correct me if am wrong) feature as well (all can midi out). If you layer 2 bad boys with careful tweaking and you will be a happy man.

m-ac wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:44 am
MissOptimyst wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:39 am Ah oh well. Not a dealbreaker was just curious! I think I saw a feature where you can drag the midi to your DAW by each sample. Hopefully I could edit in piano roll after that or find a way to make it work.
You can drag the midi in but you still wont be able to change pitch with the piano roll - you'd have to use automation on the pitch of that samples track. Pretty clunky way to work in reality.
Ah man. I’m having the same issue with Ultrabeat in Logic although I can pitch one track with that weird slot 25 workaround. Can’t lie sometimes I miss FL when it comes to drums, so much easier.

cowby wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:01 am
stikygum wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:09 am
cowby wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:59 pm
I only have XO but my friend has both and he told me that Drumcomputer can sequence XO as well!
In what way, is the midi routed from Drum Computer directly into XO? The sequencer seems to do a little more in Drum Computer and could be fun to play with it's different sequencer options to control XO.

Drum Computer could have beat out XO if it allowed sample import and had something like the Space feature in XO. I think trying different drum sounds out with different drum grooves is XO's strength obviously. And Drum Computer might have a better sequencer or at least better sequencer options. I have to play around with XO more to see if I find it's sequencer not enough, but so far I really find it's simplicity great for both coming up with sequences and trying out different samples in the sequences.
Yes, just simple midi routing. Make DC as an input in XO channel.

I think for the time being (until XO has a stronger sequencer), the best bet is to buy Drumcomputer to MIDI-Out the drum sequence to XO. That being said, you have both strong drum VST in the world, one is sample based and the other is "analog" based. Drum computer's has 16 patterns and it got Remix, Randomize, euclidean (correct me if am wrong) feature as well (all can midi out). If you layer 2 bad boys with careful tweaking and you will be a happy man.
I just confirmed directly with Sugar Bytes that DrumComputer won't output midi to another track if you are using DrumComputer as an AU in Logic. I'm not sure if that means the AU version won't output midi in Ableton Live too.

Sugarbytes therefore recommended me to use a VST host, since it allows midi to be output for DrumComputer. Or they said I could use the drag and drop feature in Logic, but that will slow down my workflow too much just to audition grooves with XO samples.

Really hoping XLN Audio is cooking up a more extensive sequencer.

I might have missed something but -
Is there a way to limit the use of samples in 'space' to selected 'User' folders rather than the total number of samples all the time?

Sometimes I'd like to narrow down sample types a little.... ?

If not - could that be a request?!
H :-)

Horse wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:57 am I might have missed something but -
Is there a way to limit the use of samples in 'space' to selected 'User' folders rather than the total number of samples all the time?

Yes, tis easy - click the search icon, then all your different libraries are at the bottom of that pop up with check boxes.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:11 am
Horse wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:57 am I might have missed something but -

Yes, tis easy - click the search icon, then all your different libraries are at the bottom of that pop up with check boxes.
Ah, cool - thanks! I've set my root sample folder as the user folder so I'll undo that and set each sub-folder as individual user folders... fine!

H :-)

New XO user here! Generally happy with everything, but I have one question/issue. I almost never use built-in sequencers in any plugins, and just trigger everything from Logic (especially now since Logic got a decent step sequencer of its own). Seems like the eight sample slots in XO are triggered with notes C1, C#1, ... G1. But for the life of me, I can’t find any way to change those notes! I’d like XO to have more like a general MIDI mapping where closed hihat is F#1 and so on. Of course I can just use a MIDI plugin to do the mapping (or something like that), but are XO’s trigger notes really fixed, or am I just stupid? :D

Other than that, would be cool to be able to layer multiple samples, and the algorithm that sorts the samples sometimes has a slightly different idea of ”similarity” than I do... but all in all, love the way I can find samples without having to care where the files are located.

Captain wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:20 am are XO’s trigger notes really fixed, or am I just stupid? :D
They are fixed as far as I can tell, since there is no real manual (but it's intuitive so does not really need one IMO).

XLN's Addictive Drums has a very good MIDI mapping ability, with pre-made maps for General and Admiral MIDIs as well as some other 3rd party products. Please email XLN and request that they implement similar functionality.

Return to “Instruments”