XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been an XO user from the beginning and I'm absolutely picking up Atlas 2. The fact that we've been basically begging XLN for meaningful features/updates this long has left a bad taste in my mouth. And if you bring it up on their socials, they basically brush you off.

JiggSaw wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:57 pm I've been an XO user from the beginning and I'm absolutely picking up Atlas 2. The fact that we've been basically begging XLN for meaningful features/updates this long has left a bad taste in my mouth. And if you bring it up on their socials, they basically brush you off.
I've found I have a better experience when I accept a plugin for what it is at the time of purchase with no expectations of updates. The reason for this is the reality that many devs don't do updates. Now I buy based on the current state and if I feel it's not worth it, I don't buy it. There are often other better choices out there for many plugin types. Or, eventually the price drops to an amount I feel is fair, or the company disappears. These are the new commercial software realities as far as I can see.

plexuss wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:56 pm
JiggSaw wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:57 pm I've been an XO user from the beginning and I'm absolutely picking up Atlas 2. The fact that we've been basically begging XLN for meaningful features/updates this long has left a bad taste in my mouth. And if you bring it up on their socials, they basically brush you off.
I've found I have a better experience when I accept a plugin for what it is at the time of purchase with no expectations of updates. The reason for this is the reality that many devs don't do updates. Now I buy based on the current state and if I feel it's not worth it, I don't buy it.
To be honest, I'm usually like this as well. In this situation however, it's more about responses I've received from them in the past through support/social channels. So I'm frustrated with XLN. Not going to go into details but you're right. I enjoy XO well enough for what it is right now. But I'm looking forward to Atlas 2 since it seems like they're listening and the devs are more active.

What copy protection does Atlas 2 use? That might be a hang-up for me that I hadn't considered.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:20 pm What copy protection does Atlas 2 use? That might be a hang-up for me that I hadn't considered.
It's online activation. I think just one time (i.e. doesn't phone home every X days) but maybe check with the developer.

I do get a little worried with online activation schemes when it's a one-person company. Busses run every day and not everyone looks both ways before crossing the street.

Just wonder, XO trial have the same amount of content as full (registered) version?

Atlas is a single developer operation?
I’m getting Atlas and support the developer for sure.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Is Atlas 2 exclusively sold through https://algonaut.audio/?

Although I have several drums tools, but I don't have something like XO, so I went with it. I had it before but I sold it because I thought it is only has 8 pads and I also wanted to concentrate on Bitwig/Live drums tools. Now, that I don't have Bitwig and Live, I needed that simplicity with few pads! So, for me it is a plus now because I want few sounds to control but with high quality content and also I have tons of samples that XO made it easy to scan and use.

I demoed Atlas and it is very good but I think XO suits me better especially when I want minimalist's beats :)

c_voltage wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:18 pm Just wonder, XO trial have the same amount of content as full (registered) version?
When I registered it, it didn't add something new!

I never heard of Atlas until this thread.
I have had XO for a year or two now, but never really spent the time exploring it properly (till yesterday), since I didn't particularly find it intuitive.
I tried the Atlas demo and liked it. I found it very intuitive for how I work/think, except.......I then added maps of my entire Sample Library (same ones I added to XO). Alas Atlas became very slow and unresponsive (maybe it wasn't designed to handle such large maps as they call them). Whereas XO is fine with such a large database (though it can take awhile to scan them as it does everytime I change add new samples)

So for now I am sticking with XO. Will spend more time, like I did yesterday exploring it.
rsp
sound sculptist

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pm but Atlas seems more nimble to open and use than XO which seems sluggish in comparison
zvenx wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 am Whereas XO is fine with such a large database (though it can take awhile to scan them as it does everytime I change add new samples)
In case you guys did not know and want to disable to slow response of XO on launch in particular, you can disable automatic folder scanning on startup, so if you have not changed anything in your folders XO won't scan in background and it will be much more responsive.

Here's the procedure for that:
XLN Audio Support: Sure, it is possible to set this up in XO with a system file, you can add that to your user folder for XO. :)

Create a text file called:
disable_startupsync.txt

And place it in your user folder for XO:
Documents\XO\xxxxxx\Settings\
(xxxxxx = sequence of numbers, different for each user apparently)
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:23 am
In case you guys did not know and want to disable to slow response of XO on launch in particular, you can disable automatic folder scanning on startup, so if you have not changed anything in your folders XO won't scan in background and it will be much more response.

XLN Audio Support: Sure, it is possible to set this up in XO with a system file, you can add that to your user folder for XO. :)

disable_startupsync.txt

I didn't! Cool trick, thanks!!

Been playing with Atlas 2 demo again this afternoon. Some positive notes:

- Bigger sequencer is a great addition.
- The GUI looks much better than before.
- Export options are nice.
- Undo/redo adds great convenience.

That said, I still like XO more for the most part. But I am tempted to get Atlas 2 since it is on sale. I also need Groove Agent 5. :help: :dog:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:23 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pm but Atlas seems more nimble to open and use than XO which seems sluggish in comparison
zvenx wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 am Whereas XO is fine with such a large database (though it can take awhile to scan them as it does everytime I change add new samples)
In case you guys did not know and want to disable to slow response of XO on launch in particular, you can disable automatic folder scanning on startup, so if you have not changed anything in your folders XO won't scan in background and it will be much more responsive.

disable_startupsync.txt

Thank you..
Didn't know that.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”