XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can XO be easily used as a 'sample searcher' to be used in conjunction with a *different* method of sequencing?

What I mean is, can I locate a one shot in XO interface, and easily Right-Click to get a "Show In Finder" (macOS) or equivalent on Windows to bring me right to the sound in it's folder on my hard drive?

And additionally, also have option to easily drag the sound into my DAW's audio pool or an audio track? (Though this is less important the 'Open Sample In Folder' on your hard drive option to me)

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me

colabean wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:53 pm Can XO be easily used as a 'sample searcher' to be used in conjunction with a *different* method of sequencing?

What I mean is, can I locate a one shot in XO interface, and easily Right-Click to get a "Show In Finder" (macOS) or equivalent on Windows to bring me right to the sound in it's folder on my hard drive?

And additionally, also have option to easily drag the sound into my DAW's audio pool or an audio track? (Though this is less important the 'Open Sample In Folder' on your hard drive option to me)

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me
There's not a "show in finder" feature, but you can option-click a sample in the Space view and drag a copy to your DAW or a folder, or drag and drop individual samples from the export window.

Batch-naming your samples based on the folder they are located is probably the best way presently to locate the original file instead of creating a copy. That way you can tell where the sample is located by the filename. Hopefully they'll add "show in finder" in an update soon, it's a good idea.

"Show in explorer/finder" is already available. See the last icon in the "Similarity" row. It is available for only user samples, which is what we want.

Also, the hint bar at the bottom shows the folder path of the user samples when you select them in XO space.

colabean wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:53 pm Can XO be easily used as a 'sample searcher' to be used in conjunction with a *different* method of sequencing?
Yes, as good as the sequencing is, that's primarily how I use it. You can drag and drop directly from the export panel to Battery, Geist, your DAW timeline, etc.. You can drag a entire kit into Battery and Geist (haven't tried others) and it will automatically arrange across cells.

Note that user samples will be direct from their original location if taken raw. If processed a new file must be created.

Also note factory library samples will also be rendered to a new file. You can filter the search to exclude XO Core.

So if there are new files being dragged into a plugin like Battery or your DAW, make sure you explicitly save the samples so they don't disappear if the temp directory gets cleaned.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:46 pm "Show in explorer/finder" is already available. See the last icon in the "Similarity" row. It is available for only user samples, which is what we want.

Also, the hint bar at the bottom shows the folder path of the user samples when you select them in XO space.
Great, don't know how I missed that. I happily stand corrected!

For those using Ableton Live, Can Xo use samples from Live library and packs?
dedication to flying

Yes, point XO at the Core Library > Samples > Drums folder and it'll pick up the AIF files.

rod_zero wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 am For those using Ableton Live, Can Xo use samples from Live library and packs?
No, most of those samples are encrypted and only usable from within Live.

Rivanni wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:56 pm
rod_zero wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 am For those using Ableton Live, Can Xo use samples from Live library and packs?
That's not true at all.

Example: I have the Chop & Swing pack. I can go to "~\Ableton\Packs\Chop and Swing\Samples\One Shots\Drums\Kick" and see the .aif files just fine.

JiggSaw wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:15 pm
That's not true at all.

Example: I have the Chop & Swing pack. I can go to "~\Ableton\Packs\Chop and Swing\Samples\One Shots\Drums\Kick" and see the .aif files just fine.
They are encrypted, try to use it anywhere outside Ableton and you’ll hear silence.

Dombaeb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:40 pm
JiggSaw wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:15 pm
That's not true at all.

They are encrypted, try to use it anywhere outside Ableton and you’ll hear silence.
Yep.. I stand corrected. Even though I can see them, I can't play them.

I just thought about this great feature and sent a request to XLN Audio support. Sorry if this was mentioned before.
I have one great suggestion if it's not already on your list: How about using XO for loops?

Right now, XO mainly scans for one-shots or very short samples only. But we also have almost the same amount of various loops as well. Why not extend the concept to loops too? It will certainly help to find loops that we can simply drag and drop in our DAW, for example. It's difficult to scan through folders.

The XO space can have two tabs: One-shots and Loops.

This way, XO can populate both of these categories from any folders dropped based on the loop length and other criteria you have in your algorithms.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 pm I just thought about this great feature and sent a request to XLN Audio support. Sorry if this was mentioned before.
I have one great suggestion if it's not already on your list: How about using XO for loops?

Right now, XO mainly scans for one-shots or very short samples only. But we also have almost the same amount of various loops as well. Why not extend the concept to loops too? It will certainly help to find loops that we can simply drag and drop in our DAW, for example. It's difficult to scan through folders.

This way, XO can populate both of these categories from any folders dropped based on the loop length and other criteria you have in your algorithms.
That sounds like a different piece of software altogether rather than a feature request tbh. If you're currently looking for something that does that, you should check out loopcloud.

m-ac wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:39 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 pm I just thought about this great feature and sent a request to XLN Audio support. Sorry if this was mentioned before.

That sounds like a different piece of software altogether rather than a feature request tbh. If you're currently looking for something that does that, you should check out loopcloud.
What's the problem if this is added to XO? I don't think there is anything special to do here, and XO can continue to be what it is. I am just requesting extension of the concept to loops. Only thing is that the loops cannot be used in sequencer, obviously. But XO can help us browse them.

I am aware of Loopcloud by the way.

m-ac wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Sononym is the best thing for loops and one shots I think. Probably the best sample finder out there.

Return to “Instruments”