Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If you like FM synthesis, Phase Plant is a no brainer. It's the most flexible FM soft synth I've personally used (haven't tried Sytrus or MSoundFactory). You can have up to 32 oscillators FMing each other in any combination. And you can do AM, linear and exponential FM, and phase mod (which has a more FM8/DX7 sound). You can do FM type stuff from LFOs too. And the oscillators can be wavetable/sampler/analog/noise.

It's a killer app for FM synthesis for me. The only reason I would ever boot up FM8 now is if I want to load pure DX7 patches. Although it's not hard to recreate DX7 style patches in Phase Plant using phase mod. Maybe Serum is more flexible with wavetable stuff and warp modes, but I just love FMing everything.

dionenoid wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:09 pm
exmatproton wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:47 am I found a workaround in falcon for that;
Just use an effectrack and fill that with which fx you want. The effectrack and it's contained fx are per voice :tu:
You can use all fx in Falcon per voice, just make a different layer for each voice.
I find working with the effectrack easier

spoontechnique wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:34 am It's a killer app for FM synthesis for me. The only reason I would ever boot up FM8 now is if I want to load pure DX7 patches. Although it's not hard to recreate DX7 style patches in Phase Plant using phase mod. Maybe Serum is more flexible with wavetable stuff and warp modes, but I just love FMing everything.
Insightful ;)

This is one of the reasons I included several iconic DX/TX sounds in the factories (Marimba, Tub Bells, Lately Bass). Really loving it for >4-op complex FM (among many other things) but I still keep Operator handy for easy workflow on simple 4-op FM tasks.

Btw, PP is also great for TG77 patches when using sample-based modulators via the Sampler oscillator.

I made a first impressions video - long as is the nature of my vids but more useful (I think) than 2 mins where some droob pokes a few presets and declares it great for octo-pirate-step or some other genre I don't care about because someone made it up to justify their inability to make proper music.

https://youtu.be/0SXjUNKWSDw

I agree that PP seems stronger in FM/PM.

:-)

Some of my wavetables are not previewing, or loading, via the regular window after adding user folders. But, if I open the editor and load there, they work. Fixed in 1.7.1!! :D
Also, Im barely scratching the surface so far, but I swear these tables sound different.
ed; Yea, they def do. I havent figured it out without the manual yet.
:D
Last edited by highkoo on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
highkoo wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:38 am I havent figured it out without the manual yet. :D
https://kilohearts.com/files/manuals/phase_plant/ (https://kilohearts.com/files/manuals/phase_plant/)

:party:

Bought it!

I love the concept and I am already having great fun using it! I want to support it and watch it develop further in the future! Well done Kilohearts! :tu:

Looks awesome. Too expensive though, IMO. Not that the price is unfair, there's a lot there to justify the $350 price tag and even by reading the description I can tell it's ridiculously capable, but I don't want to spend that much at the moment, nor own 3/4 of a synth for a lesser price.

I'll wait for sales, grab myself a few discounted snapins or something, upgrade path, etc.

francispreve wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:50 am
highkoo wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:38 am I havent figured it out without the manual yet. :D
https://kilohearts.com/files/manuals/phase_plant/
:party:
Thanks!
I sussed out the wonky wav files!

Has anyone heard of the issue with user wavetables that only load via the editor?
Maybe permissions on my machine or something...

Something is up with the user wavetable preview/load.
I am now experimenting with some wavetable packs from Cymatic.
About 3/4 of them preview and load normally, but some do not, and can only be loaded through the editor.
Fixed in 1.7.1!!
Last edited by highkoo on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Dammit. I missed hte relase of this (swear i signed up to the mailing list) and it also appears i have missed a sale on the toolbox!!
Without the toolbox it seems kind of useless getting this. So looks like i am going to have to pass. Dammit! Really wanted to get on board with this one. I like the idea. Streamlines workflow too.

Are there any more bundle sales going on anywhere else?
It does seem on the pricey side of things. Which i am not completely opposed to, of course...but an intro sale would have been nice.
I cannot see how they will end up making more money this way (as opposed to a slightly lower price with intro) but there you go.

Glad people are enjoying it - it looks awesome. Sure it would be great without all the effects but i think t would wind me up too much.

They need to rethink their upgrade prices. It's way more expensive to buy a lower tier and then upgrade than it is to buy the bigger bundle, and the "upgrade" from the base synth to Phase Plant + Toolbox Professional is more expensive than buying the Toolbox bundle outright.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

I think their sales model in general is plain stupid and really "baity". Not going to invest any time in this one.

.. it also looks like it doesn't really have any kind of list or modmatrix overview for all the modulations that one can do. That would immediately become a no-go for me if that's the case.

I've never really liked Kiloheartz stuff in general and now with the silly way they sell it I have an easy time disregarding it.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

There was a request in the kHs Facebook group for a tutorial on making Hardcore Drums using PP. I gave it my usual approach and think PP is superb for making percussion.

https://youtu.be/F9OYoPi-28I

:-)

The more and more I look at the discount for this thing the more disappointing it becomes. I have almost all the snapin FX except for like a couple. So any option I choose, the only thing I'm really getting is the synth. Everything else I have. Based on that, the discount is almost nothing.

I honestly don't understand their upgrade policy, but whatever.

With a better offer, I might have bought this but as it stands, not interested.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 am The more and more I look at the discount for this thing the more disappointing it becomes. I have almost all the snapin FX except for like a couple. So any option I choose, the only thing I'm really getting is the synth. Everything else I have. Based on that, the discount is almost nothing.

I honestly don't understand their upgrade policy, but whatever.

With a better offer, I might have bought this but as it stands, not interested.
Pretty sure there'll be a heftier discount for upgrades on Black Friday or before, this just seems like a way of making a big chunk of development costs back from early adopters, which is a pretty standard tactic across a lot of other tech industries.

Return to “Instruments”