Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V still recommendable?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

taldt33 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:59 am Just received an email from Waldorf.
They are celebrating their 30 years: coupon code 30years will give you 50% off Nave/Lector/PPG Wave 3.0 and Blofeld soundsets.
Enjoy.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure this applies to Largo as well though.

And, you can buy at Thomann to have a few € off as well.

Hmm, Bug'n'crashes in what product exactly ? If meant Edition2, i did not found any problems with this plugs during use last years (at Win7/10/ at least). Though i mainly use synth than drum machine and effect, but for short times when i tried they as well it seemed to me that all clean.

PPG Wave 3 and the Edition version both sound great and unique. I’m amazed when I go back to a very old track that I’ve used Wave on - they have a timeless hardware sound to me. I wish these would get modern GUIs, preset managers, and other features - they deserve it.

The only thing that not impressed yet it's Lector, tried demo strenuously but did not find happiness, but maybe i missed something.
And not a less unique the Wolfgang's stuff like Wavegen and Wavemapper, both to ppgv2 family recommended as mandatory. Without this the Waldorf's puzzle can't be unraveled.

Are there presets for ppg 3.0 available?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:14 pm Are there presets for ppg 3.0 available?
https://youtu.be/HnQy4zAdhAs

I also have Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V and don't recommend it, but not because of the clumpsy GUI but because of the instability in some host with crashes from time to time and the very bad and low resolution of waves and wavetables (64 Sample single cycles and only 64 single cycles per wavetable.

I recommand Icarus 2 for a replacement because you can do everything you can do with PPG Wave 3.V and much much more and you can even load all PPG Waves and Wavetables if you want.(available on the internet)
And the soundquality of Icarus 1.6 / 2 if course also much better. Icarus 2 will become the new king of wavetable synths.
The only advantage of this PPG Wave 3.V is emulation of the original PPG Wave 2 /2.2 /2.3 filters but the analog modelled filters from Icarus come rather close to it.

hmmmm i was demoing it right now again and it really isnt bad at all! but i dont feel the wow! i rather like to have my korg collection and use this for some more unique 80s sounds with sampled waveforms etc. otherwise i got my lovely diva etc. thx guys! i still dont own any waldorf synth. NAVE is still where i peep at but for more raw modern industrial sounds
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

MorpherX wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:04 pm I also have Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V and don't recommend it, but not because of the clumpsy GUI but because of the instability in some host with crashes from time to time and the very bad and low resolution of waves and wavetables (64 Sample single cycles and only 64 single cycles per wavetable.
Well... it's a emulation of a digital synth from the early 80's. What do you expect? Tech was like that back then.

Caine123 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:13 pm hmmmm i was demoing it right now again and it really isnt bad at all! but i dont feel the wow! i rather like to have my korg collection and use this for some more unique 80s sounds with sampled waveforms etc. otherwise i got my lovely diva etc. thx guys! i still dont own any waldorf synth. NAVE is still where i peep at but for more raw modern industrial sounds
If you ask me, Largo is their best soft synth. Nave left me a bit meh. It's good, but, not as good as Largo for me.

The original plugins (PPG Wave 2.V and Attack) seem to work fine on my Windows 7 32 bit music pc. I wonder if they'll work fine too using jBridge on Windows 10 64 bit. Might try that tomorrow. I'm not sure yet if I'll use this opportunity to upgrade to 3.V or Edition 2. Maybe I'll end up getting the Edition 2 LE instead for just 10 euros. :neutral:

I have the Waldorf Edition 1 LE. Never felt compelled to upgrade that. The plugins are good, but, nothing in there really flashed me that much that i felt i needed to upgrade.

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:00 pm Yes, of course. https://www.google.com/search?q=ppg+wav ... e&ie=UTF-8
SoundBytes Magazine had offered that free for subscribers of the newsletter. I'm not sure if it was a time-limited offer though.

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:51 pm
MorpherX wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:04 pm I also have Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V and don't recommend it, but not because of the clumpsy GUI but because of the instability in some host with crashes from time to time and the very bad and low resolution of waves and wavetables (64 Sample single cycles and only 64 single cycles per wavetable.
Well... it's a emulation of a digital synth from the early 80's. What do you expect? Tech was like that back then.
And if you're a fan of Robert Jan Stips and The Nits, it's an essential buy... ;)
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

Return to “Instruments”