W.A Production releases ImPerfect synthesizer with 85 % off launch discount

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If they had an Official Company Forum here, I'd post this there.. but, here we are.

Anyway.. So much potential (it's really living up to it's name)... :dog:

It's a bit better than Union (at least), but not by much. :lol:

Stuff it really needs to improve:
  • Ability to route modulation to each OSC's Detune independently.
  • (on that note) "Shaky" should affect each OSC's Detune independently as well.. not the entire master tune as a whole (or maybe that as well, but as an option).
  • "Shaky" also needs to be truly random and not just loop through an automated stock modulation curve/path like it does currently. Both the intensity/level and rate should be constantly changing. You should never hear it actually repeat anything.. ever. :P
  • A "Velocity" section needs to be added so it can be routed to affect anything in the Modulation destination list. Need some 'velocity' options in general. The amplitude velocity is baked in.. but I'd like to tweak, or even just disable it. The Filter & Envelopes need some velocity setting options.
  • "Glide" needs a legato mode, so it's not just 'always on'.
  • Each "X/Y Pad" needs an independent 'record/playback loop' function (similar to Aparillo's). We're not all using DAW's that can automate stuff like that, and the 'B mode' option is just plain terrible. :?
  • And, I think having almost the entire VST color shift to reflect modulation automation may have given me a seizure (or six)... What were you guys thinking?! :o
That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more to bitch about later, as I try to program some truly filthy sounding patches out of this thing.

:clown:

No uninstaller for this. :/ Imperfect indeed.

Vortifex wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:11 pm Feels cheap and nasty. UI is too small. Some of the presets are ok in a lofi kind of way. No way to preview samples before loading. Also the 5 minute demo limitation with white noise bursts is a bit much.

Loading a sample and increasing the release, then playing repeated notes causes drop outs, and it's crashed twice on me while loading samples. Uninstalled.
Are you on Windows? I find no uninstaller.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:24 pmYea Wags don't bother. With all the synths we own this one is not likely to bring anything new or better
You can't have spent much time with it if that's your conclusion. What other synth has two X-Y pads? What other X-Y pad works like a game of Pong? You set it off and the puck keeps bouncing around the pad, or it can be damped to slow down over time or it can work in a more expected/traditional way. That's a pretty big point of difference if you ask me.

Some of the patches in the demo video sound great and pretty much everything is on one page so it is likely to be very quick and easy to dial up sounds from scratch on, which makes it worth $10 on its own. I'm sure the GUI is plenty big enough. At $10 I didn't bother with the demo, I just bought it. If, like Union or Babylon, it turns out to be less than I had hoped, it won't matter. OTOH, if it does live up to expectations, it could become a new go-to synth for getting things up and running quickly. I think of it like the meat raffle at the club every Friday night - what have you got to lose?
progtronic wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:27 am Stuff it really needs to improve:
My remarks below, original post in blue.
"Shaky" also needs to be truly random and not just loop through an automated stock modulation curve/path like it does currently. Both the intensity/level and rate should be constantly changing. You should never hear it actually repeat anything.. ever.
Maybe try using an X-Y pad in Mode A?
Each "X/Y Pad" needs an independent 'record/playback loop' function (similar to Aparillo's). We're not all using DAW's that can automate stuff like that, and the 'B mode' option is just plain terrible. :?
Try the different modes for the X-Y pad, they might give you what you need.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BrokenTrance wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:15 pmNo uninstaller for this. :/ Imperfect indeed.
Why would you need an uninstaller? Don't you know how to use your computer?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:50 pm
BrokenTrance wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:15 pmNo uninstaller for this. :/ Imperfect indeed.
Why would you need an uninstaller? Don't you know how to use your computer?
Get a life man. If there is an installer there should be an uninstaller. I know how to use computer more then you i guarantee. You are the worst poster in this forum by far. And i don't say this lightly. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:23 am
BrokenTrance wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:38 pm
Vortifex wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:11 pm Feels cheap and nasty. UI is too small. Some of the presets are ok in a lofi kind of way. No way to preview samples before loading. Also the 5 minute demo limitation with white noise bursts is a bit much.

Loading a sample and increasing the release, then playing repeated notes causes drop outs, and it's crashed twice on me while loading samples. Uninstalled.
Are you on Windows? I find no uninstaller.
Yep. Just manually deleted everything.
Yeah, but anyway an installer should have an uninstaller i think. I think it sent some files in folder of appdata(do'nt ask me i don't remember). Or maybe it was documents.

BrokenTrance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:56 pmIf there is an installer there should be an uninstaller.
Why? Because you say so? Assuming you are on a PC, you uninstall applications from "Programs and Features" - one place for everything, no need to go searching your drive or Start menu for individual uninstallers. It used to be called "Add/Remove Programs", which was a much more apt title for it. In Win10, right click on the start button to find it. In Win7 it is in Control Panel. If you're on a Mac, it is even easier - just delete the files.
I know how to use computer more then you i guarantee.
Clearly not.
You are the worst poster in this forum by far. And i don't say this lightly. Thank you very much.
Poor baby.
Ploki wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:52 amIsnt spectral synthesis just a fancy name for additive synthesis?
It's a form of additive synthesis, yes.

BONES wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 pm
progtronic wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:27 am Stuff it really needs to improve:
My remarks below, original post in blue.
"Shaky" also needs to be truly random and not just loop through an automated stock modulation curve/path like it does currently. Both the intensity/level and rate should be constantly changing. You should never hear it actually repeat anything.. ever.
Maybe try using an X-Y pad in Mode A?
Each "X/Y Pad" needs an independent 'record/playback loop' function (similar to Aparillo's). We're not all using DAW's that can automate stuff like that, and the 'B mode' option is just plain terrible. :?
Try the different modes for the X-Y pad, they might give you what you need.
First off.. I was wrong about "automated stock modulation curve/path" thing. How that actually works is explained below (lfo's + env 1). Though, unless you assign each LFO to affect each others speed, with the random waveform.. it will repeat. But the random waveform is stepped, and will not get you that smooth random "drift" sound.

Anyway.. shouldn't need a work around, requiring a totally different part of the synth.. for something most folks would think was intended to work a certain way in the first place.

To be fair though.. their description of "Shaky" (in the manual) is totally accurate:
...modulate the global tune with both LFOs and Env1 signals, changing from a slight detune into extreme pitch modulation effect.
It actually specifies "global tune" here (and only here).

If I had known that ahead of time, I would have had a better understanding of what I was getting myself into. But they don't really give you access to the manual until after you purchase it (it's in the zipped folder with the installers).

Also, and this is important.. their basic description of the synth, on the product page.. clearly states:
“Imperfect” aims to break that trend with wavering detuned oscillators...
They aren't really being "detuned" if they are being affected identically on a global scale. Sure.. they're detuned from other instruments in your mix, but not against itself.. which I honestly believed would be the case.

Later in the product description it states:
“Shaky” modulates the tune from subtle detuning at low levels to full on pitch modulation when pushed harder.
This, again.. seems to imply detuning per oscillator. That's how I understood it anyway.

Drifting (in general), is what helps define that classic analog synth "sound".. and that generally affects a variety of things (tuning per osc, waveform, amplitude, LFO speed, etc..).

Anyway, that said.. the X/Y Pads are horribly inadequate for trying to do what I wish "Shaky" just did, out of the box. And remember.. nothing can be assigned to modulate each OSC's tuning individually anyway.

Here's how the X/Y Pad modes work (quoted from the manual):
A mode – the circle will always come back to the center once you let go of it.

B mode – grab the circle by clicking on it, drag and release. The circle will continue bouncing endlessly.

C mode – just like B mode but here the circle will gradually slow down until it stops completely.
I'd need a more complex solution, than what is offered in any of these modes. B & C just seem really pointless.

B might be somewhat useful.. if a patch actually remembered the bouncing automation when you called it back up, but it doesn't. :neutral:

I'll still get some use out of this thing, but they really failed to deliver on what could have been some really cool & unique features, that most other synths just don't offer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it might have been wishful thinking on your part because, the way it was worded, I'd assumed it was global. Just the way the GUI is laid out shows that those 3 sliders are meant to act globally.

Anyway, after playing around with it a bit, the one glaring omission I notice is Unison. Hard to fathom why you'd leave that out in 2019. I like the GUI, the size is perfect, and the workflow is great. I don't mind the sound, either. It will be useful enough for those bread and butter sounds we use to fill out an arrangement.

BONES wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:38 am
Ploki wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:52 amIsnt spectral synthesis just a fancy name for additive synthesis?
fwiw i think additive synthesis (and related methods) are wonderful idea that if implemented more programatically (kinda like how u-he aproached WT in Hive - with scripts) could open up a lot.

BONES wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:38 am
BrokenTrance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:56 pmIf there is an installer there should be an uninstaller.
Why? Because you say so? Assuming you are on a PC, you uninstall applications from "Programs and Features" - one place for everything, no need to go searching your drive or Start menu for individual uninstallers. It used to be called "Add/Remove Programs", which was a much more apt title for it. In Win10, right click on the start button to find it. In Win7 it is in Control Panel. If you're on a Mac, it is even easier - just delete the files.
I know how to use computer more then you i guarantee.
Clearly not.
You are the worst poster in this forum by far. And i don't say this lightly. Thank you very much.
Poor baby.
It doesn't show up in uninstall programs..... because there is no uninstaller. I rest my case.

If it doesn't show up, that means nothing has been added to the registry, so you can just delete the files and it will be gone. If you doubt me, check the registry first.

BONES wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:48 pm If it doesn't show up, that means nothing has been added to the registry, so you can just delete the files and it will be gone. If you doubt me, check the registry first.
The registry i don't know.

Return to “Instruments”