Massive X 1.2 is out

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X

I think massive x was not made with vintage analogue tone in mind, and thank God for that, we have plenty of such synths. It's more like Access virus 2020.

But i think it must be pretty much possible to make all kinds of analoguesque sounds with that monark filter.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Exactly, that's why it's there. But also even when not using the Monark filter, the sound of MX is very organic. It's not flat and lifeless.

Just quickly dialed a simple patch, Harold saw wavetable, monark filter with a bit of gain, a bit of TanH drive and a slow LFO to pitch, sounds just as analog as my microbrute :)

If I were just comparing u-he and NI in general (but especially with regards to Massive X), I'd argue that u-he's products are more complete, as in: features you'd expect to be there are almost always there. whereas NI's electronic instrument products often have a lot of great features but are hit and miss for utility. Even something like Razor, which has that 3-D spectral view, innovative (for the time) design elements, some deep filter tweaks (variable slope, resonance width), was still missing some basic modulation features (the LFOs are Hyundai Excel). And I always appreciate u-he's parameter value display.

But, different sounding they might be from u-he, I don't see how anyone can make an objective argument that NI does not have their DSP code down. Their kit has been used for years in virtually every type of electronic music production - to say "the Monark filter is not as accurate as u-he's emulation in Diva or Synapse Legend" would be a academic (there's a great video somewhere that compares all three plus Arturia). But even some of the old Reaktor gear still holds up.

I certainly get why people may be put off by NI's design choices, but IMHO it's some real hair splitting to claim their instruments sound "thin" or "digital" (except where that's the intent - looking at you Razor ;) )

MX sounds anything but thin. Really dunno where that comes from.

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:28 pm MX sounds anything but thin. Really dunno where that comes from.
Massive X is eating a vegan diet.

Naaah... it's a natural born predator. :)

TheMaestro wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:00 pm And here we have the classic example. It’s more important to discuss features that to actually make music with them.

Who cares if Diva or Massive X sound more “analog”. Are you utilizing it? Does it make a difference in your music? Or does it only make a difference when you discuss it?

Morons.
Well, then what’s the point of a forum like KVR?

HTT wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:58 pm
Diva has tons of analog-type preset packs for purchase, while Massive X has like one. Comparing two Synthwave preset examples made within the last 12 months you can hear that either Diva is much better with analog or that Luftrum and the Unfinished are much better programmers than Patchmaker or both are true.
Why you using presets bro.
That’s not very Analogue of you bro.
recursive one wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:23 pm I think massive x was not made with vintage analogue tone in mind, and thank God for that, we have plenty of such synths. It's more like Access virus 2020.

But i think it must be pretty much possible to make all kinds of analoguesque sounds with that monark filter.
Good analogy with the virus.
Very similar.

For what’s its worth in my 2 cents I’ve never used a Wavetable/Digital Oriented Synthesizer that sounded as warm and thick as Massive X.
I don’t know if I’d say it sounds as good as Diva mabye I can open the 2 next to eachother and try to answer that question for me. But here’s the thing. In a mix nobody can tell Between the 2. Absolutely no difference after mixing and mastering all all that jazz come in.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

nm, stoned rambling...
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I like Massive X, often a little slower to get a truly usable sound here but I don't quite understand the comparison with the Virus. Massive X sounds rather more polite, less brash and warmer to my ears. It is not as glassy or wild sounding. I could say where they do seem closer is the oscillator manipulation possibilites, a bit like formant complex oscillators.

Oh it can sound very wild, just play with some of those wavetable phase distortion capabilities. Tack on some of the best distortion FX in a synth...

But musically usable in a track tho. I may just have it wrong or taste etc.

I'm much more familiar with Virus TI than Massive X myself (I have owned my Virus for few years and used it a lot) but I think there are some similarities in feature set and overall sound aesthetics. Hard to say where this impression actually comes from, there are other synths that can emulate some specific Virus patches much closer (Viper, obviously, also Spire, Sylenth, Rapid). But the whole package, where you can quickly go from bread and butter VA patches to all kinds of sci-fi weirdness, big, fat and very hi fi sound.

That's a short example of various psytrance sounds I put together in MX a while back, i think it may illustrate somewhat wilder/weider side of MX
https://vocaroo.com/6mEwDPIkUfM

It is exactly the sci fi weirdness that I mean. Usable sounds seem somewhat more difficult to program for me. I get sounds and textures I have not heard before but I often save them and never use them in actual music. This is something I have not managed to get past with Massive X.

Not all weird is good, the weird and unusable (unmusical) vs weird cool and usable good factor seems rather high at least for my own experience/tastes. And when I get something usable I could maybe have made it in any other synth.

I have produced a few gems in Massive but the hit rate vs hours spent is low for me.

Return to “Instruments”