Alternatives to Geist 2 in 2020?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hurro',

I've been using Geist and G2 for a long while now - Good program!

But there doesn't seem to be much happening from FXpansion from what I can see. So, I was wondering if there is anything better or at least as good out for a mac? It doesn't have to be a drum synth per se - A sample player will do me. :tu:

Besides programs like:
NI Battery as I have it and don't really use it.
Phalanx isn't an option because of the funky dongle (I have an ilok already and one is enough!).
StiX had it and sold it.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

You named almost the big drum VSTs in the market. How about XLN Audio XO ?

You wrote "there doesn't seem to be much happening from FXpansion".
So what is missing from Geist2?

Punch 2 might be worth a shot but Geist 2 is pretty unique.

Regarding FXPansion, I’m pretty sure Geist 2 was updated in the last 4 months or so.

sl1914 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:24 pm You wrote "there doesn't seem to be much happening from FXpansion".
So what is missing from Geist2?
I dunno', that's not what I asked.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

simmo75 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:35 pm Punch 2 might be worth a shot but Geist 2 is pretty unique.

Regarding FXPansion, I’m pretty sure Geist 2 was updated in the last 4 months or so.
I must have a look at Punch 2, cheers for the suggestion.

Just regarding the recent update as far as I know it was pretty much just a bug fixer (which is always welcome). But I'm not too sure if Geist will be just disregarded at some point... :( FXpansion seem to have been very inactive since the takeover by Roli. I hope I'm wrong of course...

cowby wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 pm You named almost the big drum VSTs in the market. How about XLN Audio XO ?
Hmm... I've seen it but not really checked it out, can it be used as a sequencer, then?

Thanks for the suggestion.

dp

XO is very dope! I love the sequencer in it too.

Edit: and it’s on sale for a great price at JRR :)

Robmobius wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:43 pm
cowby wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 pm You named almost the big drum VSTs in the market. How about XLN Audio XO ?
Hmm... I've seen it but not really checked it out, can it be used as a sequencer, then?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, it can do 2x16 AB or AAAB. Wish it could do more than just 2 banks though, I save multiple presets to get around the 2x16 limit.

I don't know, that latest Geist2 update is from January 2020. With this updates:
  • macOS Catalina support
  • Case-sensitive file system compatibility
  • Fix for non-persistent scene renaming
  • Correct position and icon for Geist Expanders in browser
  • Bundled update to FX License Manager (v2.1.0.13)
Anyway, what DAW are you using?
There are some (also better known) Cubase users who use the sampler tracks for drums. It's very fast and the file browser with pre-listening functions makes it quite handy.

simmo75 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:52 pm XO is very dope! I love the sequencer in it too.

Even better if you use the FORUM code, or possibly the GROUPBUY one - not sure if they both work...

I like Battery, TBH. Apart from a missing sequencer, but then, I feel comfortable with sequencing in the DAW.

simmo75 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:52 pm XO is very dope! I love the sequencer in it too.

Cheers for that! It looks mighty tempting now, I'm just watching some vids. Everyone seems to love it! :)

chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:26 pm I like Battery, TBH. Apart from a missing sequencer, but then, I feel comfortable with sequencing in the DAW.
I tend to work in the drum sampler's sequencer, then bring it in and bounce to audio in the DAW.

As long as the sampler has has muli-outs I'm usually happy, as all my drum processing is done in the DAW (while using the drum sampler to sequence the drums).

Return to “Instruments”