Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

alpicat wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:19 pm Here's my demo of it, it does sound quite nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0RQLTjt6IA
Honestly, this sounds God awful. Nothing else to say.

I like it overall.

I like that they included the X-MOD.
I wish they allowed detuning on the individual voices.

The spread in "stereo mode" is something pretty new and weird ("duplicates oscillator and filter modules for each channel - left and right - essentially like running two instances of OBX-a V, one for each channel."), still figuring out if I like it or not with its phasing effect, but I guess I'ts nice to have it as an option.

My price is 49€ which is good, but I was going to wait for a good offer on V8 in any case.
Last edited by Niowiad on Tue May 19, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SonicDimension wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:55 pm When I play Synapse Audio The Legend, I feel really inspired by the 'aliveness' of the sound. I do not have the same experience with the Arturia Mini V. I think that Synapse (along with u-he and TAL) has really nailed the analog sound. If the Synapse OB-Xa has the same high quality as The Legend, then I think that it will be the one to get.
Hearing all these rave reviews from the legion of beta-testers is becoming tiresome. There's no release date, no official product announcement, in fact there is nothing other than these sort of comments from the KVR-heavy beta team.

Point being, Richard needs to get his synth out there, or at least announce the thing and give it a release date to look forward to. The longer he waits, the more time for people to just go with this Arturia version rather than the 'supposedly better version, according to beta testers, but which still has no announcement.'

mholloway wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 pm
SonicDimension wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:55 pm When I play Synapse Audio The Legend, I feel really inspired by the 'aliveness' of the sound. I do not have the same experience with the Arturia Mini V. I think that Synapse (along with u-he and TAL) has really nailed the analog sound. If the Synapse OB-Xa has the same high quality as The Legend, then I think that it will be the one to get.
Hearing all these rave reviews from the legion of beta-testers is becoming tiresome. There's no release date, no official product announcement, in fact there is nothing other than these sort of comments from the KVR-heavy beta team.

Point being, Richard needs to get his synth out there, or at least announce the thing and give it a release date to look forward to. The longer he waits, the more time for people to just go with this Arturia version rather than the 'supposedly better version, according to beta testers, but which still has no announcement.'
That's why I always found it more fortunate to not give any info at all, until the plugin is released. The announcement for the Arturia OB-Xa V was more like a "Boom... here it is". When you announce your synth literally 2 years before it is released, people will become impatient, there'll be a lot of wish thinking, extremely high expectations, and the developers will be under more pressure as well. IMO, the Arturia way is the much better.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:35 pm

That's why I always found it more fortunate to not give any info at all, until the plugin is released. The announcement for the Arturia OB-Xa V was more like a "Boom... here it is". When you announce your synth literally 2 years before it is released, people will become impatient, there'll be a lot of wish thinking, extremely high expectations, and the developers will be under more pressure as well. IMO, the Arturia way is the much better.
You bet, and although I think Richard is a skillful developer, I suspect that his emulation will suffer from such great expectations being created. IMO, the betatesters are doing him a disservice. They would be better shut and doing their home work.

And the statements about how good Synapse version is compared with Arturia's when one is released and the other we can only trust their word for it are quite unethical, IMO. Especially when we are talking about things so subjective and undefined as "analog sound". :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

how does any of that affect you? I imagine Rich, like all of us here, had no idea about arturia's synth, and apart from his official announcements and audio examples on gearslutz, he has just been beavering away at it, and will release it when it's done. It won't be released early, just because of possible competition or a baying crowd. It is 100% HIS decision.

Just realized I misread SonicDimension's post and he was talking about the Legend, not the OB-Xa beta, so it seems he's not on their team. But anywhere here who knows the Synapse OB thread knows what I'm talking about, re: endless 'oh my god it's so analog and amazing and the best etc etc' from the beta testers.

nvm.

fmr wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:39 pm
And the statements about how good Synapse version is compared with Arturia's when one is released and the other we can only trust their word for it are quite unethical, IMO. Especially when we are talking about things so subjective and undefined as "analog sound". :roll:

when a synth modelled on an 8 separate voice synth only has one, the level of accuracy drops... but arturia are not renowned for their accuracy when it comes to emulations

if accuracy is not something that bothers you, you just pick the one you like the best, nobody is going to die....

AnX wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:48 pm
when a synth modelled on an 8 separate voice synth only has one, the level of accuracy drops... but arturia are not renowned for their accuracy when it comes to emulations
What kind of "accuracy"? I don't want to send the software for service repair, or replace cards, nor do I want it to have to "warm" for 20 minutes before being able to use it.

Did the users of the original units have access to those cards individually? Right from the control panel?

It's the sound that matters. If I can reproduce the same sounds using the same setting, I'm good. I simply don't care what kind of chip was inside the original units. I DON'T GIVE A F...

Actually, if it was for me, Arturia would not have gone to emulate the OB-Xa. There are far more interesting synths (IMO) I want to see emulated.
Last edited by fmr on Tue May 19, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:35 pm

You bet, and although I think Richard is a skillful developer, I suspect that his emulation will suffer from such great expectations being created. IMO, the betatesters are doing him a disservice. They would be better shut and doing their home work.

they would perhaps be unethical, if the testers didnt say they where testers. ie if both where released, pretending to be a customer of one and making false complaints.

like when arturia employees (not beta testers) would make false complaints in threads about competitors products.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm Gave the Arturia a quick listen, and I'm not particularly impressed with it personally. I know a Synapse tester said the Arturia sounds like 15 year old tech, and I mean...I don't have the Synapse to compare too, but I'm definitely getting that "they went for low CPU over sound quality" vibe to this one. That said, I'm only judging based off a few minutes with some presets.
I tested briefly, but by chance, the presets that I tested were not that good (Jump, Tom Sawyer Bass sweep and other 2 or 3) but almost all of them could be improved with stereo spread and some fine tuning.

vurt wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:55 pm like when arturia employees (not beta testers) would make false complaints in threads about competitors products.
Don't know what you're talking about... Or are you still referring to that "old" story with Xavier Oudin?
Fernando (FMR)

Completely agree,there's no oomph in some of the Arturia stuff it's quite thin sounding in comparison to Legend and U-Hes Pro5 as well is in my opinion far superior to Arturias

fmr wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:58 pm
vurt wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:55 pm like when arturia employees (not beta testers) would make false complaints in threads about competitors products.
Don't know what you're talking about... Or are you still referring to that "old" story with Xavier Oudin?
yup, just pointing out, that would be unethical. but known beta testers, its more just uncouth ;)

Return to “Instruments”