Komplete 13, ladies and gents

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
27213 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:20 am

clipnotic wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:49 am
you should simply stop your babbling! ;)
Relax. :) AFAIC, we are discussing. And maybe disagree with each other.
clipnotic wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:49 am
It's not a bundle just for me and they still offer several bundles for there mostly synth users, but none for users, which are mostly are interested in their other stuff.
Which other stuff? Instruments? Orchestral libraries? Effects? Sample packs? Preset packs for synths? Drum sounds for Maschine users? There simply is not the "one" user like you, who wants a bundle for "other stuff" (whatever that is).

Sorry, but, I always find it funny when random users tell the biggest company in the business how it should run things.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
2663 posts since 5 Dec, 2003 from Harlan's World

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:34 am

NI have experimented with a subscription type offer before. I was a Komplete Care customer back in 2005 or so until it was discontinued after a few years. You basically paid to ensure that you would get any upgrades for the following year. But this subscription did not actually include the license for Komplete in itself, so it was more of a «keep up to date» kind of license. I guess it was just like Waves’ Upgrade Plan.

I think it was quite expensive too? I seem to remember paying $300 or so per year…but it’s a looong time ago now so I may be wrong.

Komplete is to me a product suite I own simply to have tools available when I need them. I upgrade every two years so the cost is not so high IMHO.

A subscription would not be right for me. It would feel strange to pay $20 or whatever pr month when I only use tools from Komplete occasionally.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

KVRAF
27213 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:38 am

kovacs wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:34 am
A subscription would not be right for me. It would feel strange to pay $20 or whatever pr month when I only use tools from Komplete occasionally.
That's why I bought a license for MS Office 2019 (Home & Student). It just doesn't make sense to pay 50-60 € per year, if you just use the software occasionally (although that's a sub which is rather on the inexpensive side).

That's why I think that they will go for a sub, but also continue to sell perpetual licenses.

Anyway, that's really all speculation now. We will see.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRian
969 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:14 pm

penfever wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:48 am
The most essential NI products are Reaktor and Kontakt, IMO. Particularly Kontakt. But many large third party devs are fleeing Kontakt for their own in-house solutions, and I expect this trend to continue.
Unfortunately. I already have ~3 additional 'samplers' + license apps (or sampler have a shop inside so I can feel like I'm in Walmart or Tesco). Poorly written, buggy often with ugly messy GUI.
I'm glad that I was able to test Spitfire's sampler with their free libraries to find about that every now and then I have to redownload them because there's a random error (because why not?). I'll not buy anymore from them. The last thing I need is to find out that I need to redownload 80GB library at the moment when I want to use it.
Sine Player is not that buggy but it looks horribly bad, it's not easy to use with so many windows to switch and it has Tesco build-in (bloatware).
I understand that they want to be independent but maybe before they jump out of Kontakt, they should do R&D and develop software that can compete with Kontakt first.

Rant over :D
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

User avatar
KVRian
686 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:10 am

chk071 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:20 am
clipnotic wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:49 am
you should simply stop your babbling! ;)
Relax. :) AFAIC, we are discussing. And maybe disagree with each other.
clipnotic wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:49 am
It's not a bundle just for me and they still offer several bundles for there mostly synth users, but none for users, which are mostly are interested in their other stuff.
Which other stuff? Instruments? Orchestral libraries? Effects? Sample packs? Preset packs for synths? Drum sounds for Maschine users? There simply is not the "one" user like you, who wants a bundle for "other stuff" (whatever that is).

Sorry, but, I always find it funny when random users tell the biggest company in the business how it should run things.
Well, first you should read better, I described exactly what I mean with other stuff and your "biggest company" doesn't reach a full sector of musicians which also spend much money for plugins and so on! And second, I'm really sorry, that I just posted the reason, although I bought plugins and sounds for several thousand Euros in the last month, but I didn't buy anything from your "biggest company"! But of course, the "biggest company in the buisness" makes so much money, they don't need little customers like me, the can live easily from "real buisness customers" like you! :tu: :D

KVRAF
27213 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 am

Here, have one of these. ;)

Image
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRian
686 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 am


KVRist
458 posts since 20 Apr, 2005

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:44 pm

ralphsc wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 am
Right now I don't see a reason to update from Komplete 11. I'm afraid a subscription model will be the future, it just makes sense from a developer's perspective. Constant, predictable revenue. From the POV of the customer, on average, you pay more. For example I have an Adobe subscription and I feel like I've given them more money since they changed to this revenue model.
I'm surprised the DAW developers haven't done it yet... thankfully..
from Komplete 11... at least all this.. Guitar Rig 6, Reaktor 6, Kontakt 6, Super 8, Monark, Polyplex, DrumLab, some decent fx

Quite a few DAW developers effectively do have a subscription plan e.g. Cubase, you may as well upgrade as you don't really save anything by missing an update.

Some of the questions suggested NI were looking at more of a split out offering - not completely sure how this would help them really. I answered in the survey that true, I do not use everything, probably the same as everyone - but - it's nice to know there is a bunch of stuff there I can draw on if I wanted too.

KVRist
458 posts since 20 Apr, 2005

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:53 pm

clipnotic wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:00 am
chk071 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:56 am
For me, the cheapest way to get into Komplete was getting a NI keyboard (I wanted to get the Komplete Kontrol M32 anyway), and then upgrade to full Komplete, when it was 50% off (I think it cost 199 €). Considering all the stuff which is in there, I consider that a pretty good deal. But, I can understand if you say that there is a lot of stuff in there which you don't need. Same for me, but, the stuff I use actually already makes it more than worth.
That wouldn't help me, because I would have to upgrade to the Komplete Ultimate Collector's Edition, because only that bundle has the instruments I'm interested in.
If you look at the packages, it does seem like quite a bit more for the top package to get the full orchestral offering, if you didn't want all the extra sound packs. I could see an orchestral package making sense actually.

but if they split it up too much, they may also lose some sales for people who would have paid for everything.

KVRist
270 posts since 4 May, 2019

Post Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Those orchestral samples are very extensive. They are priced quite competitively vs Heavyocity and Spitfire offerings.

User avatar
KVRian
686 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:20 am

_leras wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:53 pm
clipnotic wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:00 am
chk071 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:56 am
For me, the cheapest way to get into Komplete was getting a NI keyboard (I wanted to get the Komplete Kontrol M32 anyway), and then upgrade to full Komplete, when it was 50% off (I think it cost 199 €). Considering all the stuff which is in there, I consider that a pretty good deal. But, I can understand if you say that there is a lot of stuff in there which you don't need. Same for me, but, the stuff I use actually already makes it more than worth.
That wouldn't help me, because I would have to upgrade to the Komplete Ultimate Collector's Edition, because only that bundle has the instruments I'm interested in.
If you look at the packages, it does seem like quite a bit more for the top package to get the full orchestral offering, if you didn't want all the extra sound packs. I could see an orchestral package making sense actually.

but if they split it up too much, they may also lose some sales for people who would have paid for everything.
You got it! :tu:

And maybe they would lose some people who would buy their collector's edition, but there are also many composers who don't need synths or effects! I'm working with synths and instruments, but I also still have hundreds of synths and sorry, NI has no synths, I would need. The only synth I bought the last time was Vital, because this synth has a good GUI, some very creative and new features and not just only typical boring industry standard, like NI brings again and again since years.

The last months I also upgraded my orchestral and sample instrument libraries. So, I looked what's available on the market and read many forum threads and reviews in different forums worldwide. The best bundle from NI at the moment for typcial composers who don't need synths and effects is just the Komplete collector's edition for 1.599 Euro, because only this bundle includes almost everything they offer for composers, the new Cremona Quartet for example. I know NI also has 50% summer sales, but many other companies also have sales like this.

For 1.599 Euro you can get at the moment from other companies "the best" orchestra libraries on the world and much more! And if you read composer forums and also professional reviews, the most recommendations in this area are solutions from Spitfire, Embertone, Vienna, East West, Project Sam and also cheap libraries like the Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra for beginners ...but not NI!

@chk071
This is market analysis for buisness beginners! :wink:

User avatar
KVRian
969 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:26 am

If someone is up mostly for orchestral libraries then I don't see a point to be interested in Komplete.
There are better alternatives. Either by EastWest subscription (getting their full collection is quite expensive) or by simply buying bundle from companies like Spitfire.
Orchestral libraries in Komplete doesn't seems to be that phenomenal either. There's nothing that other libraries don't have.

I have standard Komplete for synths, sound design and Kontakt and 3rd party orchestral libraries. I have never been tempted to upgrade to Komplete Collectors Edition.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

User avatar
KVRAF
4112 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 am

Well, I use both synths (awesome collection from NI), orchestral libraries and expansions - so Komplete was no-brainer deal for me. But then, not many people do the same and most of producers just focus on a particular style.

Also consider Maschine, but that's separate product that's not cheap and in fact is entirely different platform on its own. Can't have everything, every new environment steals my focus.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

User avatar
KVRAF
1982 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:52 am

pixel85 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:26 am
I have never been tempted to upgrade to Komplete Collectors Edition.
I bought it and thought it's good value because i wanted 1000 Battery drumkits in my genres/styles. I thought it's good value for the drumkits, and everything else i get with it is a bonus! At sale price i can't remember exactly but it was at most 25p-30p per drumkit for 1000+ drumkits. I don't even know where else to get lots of electronic drumkits from!

Also i got Komplete Select from a Maschine Jam. I'd wanted to try the Maschine software. It worked out at about £40 for the Maschine Jam! (which i now use for Bitwig)

I'll probably update to 13 when the summer sale.

User avatar
KVRAF
5274 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:20 am

World class drummers need one drum kit... (an extended one...; - )

Return to “Instruments”