Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

Arashi wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 pm
DuX wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:49 pm I didn't know that. So 6 is full of ICs. Roland cutting corners to sell more. That's a shame.
Making it cheaper was the whole point of the Jupiter-6.

Exactly.
rsp
sound sculptist

JoeCat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:59 pm u-He Diva has models for both the digital and analog envelopes, and for digital a selection between the quantized and curve versions, but I have to admit I usually don't recall hearing much of a difference except in a few patches, though I haven't played with sound design in Diva lately (will need to now!).

I suppose it's one of those things you don't notice much until you do for a particular sound, then you can't not notice it, and then you're the guy going on about it while everyone else asks why it's a big deal. Sometimes it's better NOT to have the choice :D
The choice of envelope types in Diva is usually a very subtle thing. As you said, it depends on the type of sound you’re making, but most of the time it makes very little difference (like, switching from one to another might be noticeable, but you can usually tweak the envelope to make it sound nearly the same again). I agree that it’s sometimes (I’d even say usually) better not to have the choice.

At least the sustain part always works the same way on every synth! (You’d think so, right? But no, the MS-20 sustain is very weird and different from everything else I’ve ever encountered.)
Stormchild

More bass - thought I'd be spending all day making strings and pads (well, still mostly), but this thing is perfect for the kinda bass I like (though don't use as often as I like to mess with it).

The strings are J-8 of course, but whats cool is how they delay can do a pretty decent spring reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-cat/jp-8-bass-2

This amazing instrument is quickly climbing to the top of my favorite VST synthesizers ever. Anyone feel the same? Don't really know how faithful it is to a Jupiter 8, but this sounds so fn sweet and lively in its own right.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think a lot of people feel that way about tal synths .
Not just about the synths but the whole experience , direct line with the developer etc..
Talmod is my favourite , excellent quality , all sweet spot !!
Some companies could learn from this ethos , focus more on product quality , less on marketing b.s.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:10 am I think a lot of people feel that way about tal synths .
Not just about the synths but the whole experience , direct line with the developer etc..
Some companies could learn from this ethos , focus more on product quality , less on marketing b.s.
Yeah, TALMod is my favorite too.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:23 pm This amazing instrument is quickly climbing to the top of my favorite VST synthesizers ever. Anyone feel something similar? Don't really know how faithful it is to a Jupiter 8, but this sounds so fn sweet and lively in its own right.
There's a vid on youtube of a guy A/B versus his Jupiter 8 and it's close enough for everyone aside from the usual folks who will howl about any slight difference.

After a ton of frustration with my Roland MKS70 (Super JX) trying to use upper and lower tones, I asked myself, "what else do I have that can be easier?" and I immediately remembered that J-8 is the only Jupiter emulation (currently) that allows for upper/lower tone programming. This is key for some really great patches if you want to do some PPG like stuff or choral or percussive weirdness. I've been having a ball in J8 ever since my mini revelation and actually am considering selling my Super JX since it's so pokey and cumbersome to use ( even with an MPG8!)

Yorrrrrr wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:23 pm This amazing instrument is quickly climbing to the top of my favorite VST synthesizers ever. Anyone feel the same? Don't really know how faithful it is to a Jupiter 8, but this sounds so fn sweet and lively in its own right.
Couldn't agree more. And, if I may presume, products and producers like this show that you can make vsts that don't need to cost the earth either. I feel very strongly about the affordability of musical gear. If Tal can put something like this out (and memorymoon with their ME80 emulation of the cs80) then there's no reason the 'big boys' can't. IMHO :D

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:10 am I think a lot of people feel that way about tal synths .
Marketing bullshit = bigger audience. TAL's plugins are still sort of "insider tips". But then, as more or less a one man show, I'm not sure how much time and effort Patrick can invest in marketing. I guess, not much, otherwise he probably would do it.

They already got a lot more attention as far as I can see, though (just judging from forums, maybe I'm wrong).

I think the problem ( if you can call it a problem ) is that most people still associate Tal with it's freeware plugins .
While these are nice , they don't really do justice to the commercial Tal plugins which are superb and elevated Tal to a whole new level .
I can totally understand his decision to not spend time and energy in promo videos etc but instead focus on the dsp side of things and customer support , in this day and age word of mouth should not be underestimated .
Spread the word , Long live Tal !!
I have no idea why kvr audio links "spread ' to a plugin , can we turn this off ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

These kinds of small team products are better in the end too. No bloated slow interfaces, no crazy software centers that don't work half the time, no sketchy upgrade paths, no weird marketing bs, and so on.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:49 pm I think the problem ( if you can call it a problem ) is that most people still associate Tal with it's freeware plugins .
While these are nice , they don't really do justice to the commercial Tal plugins which are superb and elevated Tal to a whole new level .
True, they're definitely a different league.

I have an apology and a big thank you to give:

To all those who suggested and had Patrick implement the Voice Tuning, Panning and Randomisation in the SC.

Every time one fr came up here, I have to admit I rolled my eyes.... oh not another one of this again!!. But I have to admit it made a very good product, great/outstanding.

I just bought New Loops' Gas Giant bank and he utilizes the Pan per voice in SC in some of his patches.

Gorgeous.

I think like Yorrr (with a whole heap of r's) said above, this is becoming one of my favourite synths.

rsp
sound sculptist

Yes, masterfully made plugin, from the DSP and programming in general to the GUI. A lot of much more well known and big VST plugins producing companies could learn a lot from small companies like TAL, and I'd add u-he, Valhalla DSP, Audio Damage, Synapse Audio, and Voxengo, too. :tu:

Speaking of learning from smaller companies, we could really do without all the buggy and badly programmed "helper" downloading centres that more and more companies pushing on us. I don't support such companies, personally. These apps just make a mess on our computers. :scared:

I would jump on the opportunity to praise TAL's new website. It looks gorgeous! I mean, it is easy to navigate, makes a lot of sense, everything is neatly in its place and easy to find. There's absolutely no need for a "TAL plugins downloader" app. :hihi: :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Fastest demo ever. Something around 27 seconds.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Return to “Instruments”