SampleTron 2 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

teacue wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm Is anyone who owns Sampletron 2 able to import samples?
I am not able.
I followed exactly each of the instructions founded in the user manual but no luck.
After I click import, the import windows closes but I have no sound.

If you follow the same Import Samples procedure with SampleTank 4 to import the same sample from the same directory, does it work then?

teacue wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm Is anyone who owns Sampletron 2 able to import samples?
I am not able.
I followed exactly each of the instructions founded in the user manual but no luck.
After I click import, the import windows closes but I have no sound.
It worked for me. I think one of the two ways (can't remember which one) wasn't working and so I tried renaming each WAV file so they started with the note value. I changed them so the first part of the name started that way: C3, C#3, D3, etc. and then it worked.

I still have Sampletron 1 running through S4SE. It's enough. After trying to get things working properly on my M1 Mac, and seeing the Mododrum blowback, which I almost bit at €99, no IK purchases until they address M1 compatability. Not holding my breath.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

teacue wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm After I click import, the import windows closes but I have no sound.
One thing I didn't figure out at first was you have to just click on the folder that has the samples, but don't open the folder itself. Then click Select, and then click Import. For instance, I have a bunch of samples of a preset I made from my Moog, so I just select the folder they reside in.

Otherwise it closes that window and doesn't import anything.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:13 pm I still have Sampletron 1 running through S4SE. It's enough. After trying to get things working properly on my M1 Mac, and seeing the Mododrum blowback, which I almost bit at €99, no IK purchases until they address M1 compatability. Not holding my breath.
It is currently being worked on, should be out soon. Since M1 nor Rosetta 2 support AVX instructions the team has been working on a compatible version of MODO DRUM that will still perform admirably on the new architecture.

@ Lotuz2019
Honestly I am not inclined to have to learn Sampletank just for this.
I use Sampletank just to load and play Sampletron 1 sounds.

@ Examigan
None of your suggestions are working with a specific sample folder.

But I could make it work with a folder with much shorter samples!
Could it be that there is a length limit for imported samples?
The samples I am trying to import are about 8 to 9 seconds long
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

The ones I imported (I just checked) are anywhere from 6 to 9 seconds.

SOLVED
After some more tests I found out what the reason was that Sampletron 2 did not import my samples: they were 32 bit!
After converting the samples to 16 bit (mono- 44100hz) it worked flawlessly.
I did not notice that this is mentioned in the user manual, the samples have to be either 16- or 24- bit.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

After working a bit with the sample import features I am quite disapointed about the lack of flexibility in mapping samples.

Not sure if I miss something but
1. Samples can be stretched only upwards

2. It is not possible to load one sample and stretch it over the whole range without some workaround
You have to use something like a dummy sample at a higher note then the sample will be stretched up until the dummy sample appears.
Otherwise the sample will be played only at the root note.
(If I miss something please correct me!)
But there is no way to stretch the sample down :-(

3. It is not possible to define a map-range.
This is a basic feature of any sampler BTW.
An example: I could succesfully load samples which were sampled at a minor third intervall: C3, D#3, F#3, A3, C4 ... and so on
I can load them succesfully but each sample will be played from its root note and then stretched two half tone higher.
C3 will be stretched up to C#3 then to D3 after this the D#3 sample will be played and so on.
But I would rather like that C3 plays the range: B2-C3-C#3
Then D#3 shoud have the range: D3-D#3-E3
This way the samples are pitchshifted one half tone down or one half tone up.

In fact it should be possible to map each sample as the user likes and not automatically!

Also some visual feedback upon how the samples are mapped is strongly needed.
Unfortunately the "nice" picture and the rolling wheel do not help a lot for this ;)

Considering that the Sample Import function is declared as an important new feature, I find the implementation quite poor.

One plus is that it is at least possible to map chromatically, which is great and in this case better than Arturia.
But basic manual mapping functions are needed.

For a moment I thought it would be possible to go through the Sampletank Editor (though I really do not need to learn another app for this) but in the Sampletron 2 user manual it is clearly stated:
"However please note that instruments created in the SampleTank Editor will only play in SampleTank 4 and will not appear or load in SampleTron 2."

Mood: Disapointed
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:17 pm
Bombadil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:13 pm I still have Sampletron 1 running through S4SE. It's enough. After trying to get things working properly on my M1 Mac, and seeing the Mododrum blowback, which I almost bit at €99, no IK purchases until they address M1 compatability. Not holding my breath.
It is currently being worked on, should be out soon. Since M1 nor Rosetta 2 support AVX instructions the team has been working on a compatible version of MODO DRUM that will still perform admirably on the new architecture.
Cool! Please let me know when it's €99 again, and I'll buy it.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

They just added MIDI learn to the controls including the FX section.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=11290

I'm confused here...

Why doesn't this let me import a single sample to map across the whole keyboard?

Am I missing something?

simmo75 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:10 pm Why doesn't this let me import a single sample to map across the whole keyboard?
I usually always use more than one sample, but I just tried it with one sample and it stretched it a total of 2 octaves. I am not sure if there is a special way to get it work go across the whole keyboard with just the one sample.

EDIT:
I didn't notice it was loading my other samples I had for it from the same folder, so that's why it went across two octaves.
Last edited by Examigan on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

simmo75 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:10 pm I'm confused here...

Why doesn't this let me import a single sample to map across the whole keyboard?

Am I missing something?
No, I don't think you're not missing something. Read Teacue's post above. Still, when I tested his dummy sample suggestion with SampleTank 4, all the keys played at the same pitch unlike most samplers/sample players that allow you to play a single sample at various pitches. So if you want to play one sample over a range of for example one octave, then you actually need to put 11 copies of that sample in the sample folder and pitch them up/down to the right note in an audio editor before loading them into SampleTron 2. In other words, just make sure your sample folder contains samples of consecutive notes (C1, C#1, D1, D#1, E1 etc), then it should work well. If you don't, then importing samples can become quite cumbersome.

Examigan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:54 pm I usually always use more than one sample, but I just tried it with one sample and it stretched it a total of 2 octaves. I am not sure if there is a special way to get it work go across the whole keyboard with just the one sample.
Does SampleTron 2 play the sample at various pitches or do all keys sound the same?

Return to “Instruments”