One Synth Challenge #153: K1v by Nils Schneider (Vovaman wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Definitely, late 80s too has many tracks of LFO's style which was largely just a more minimal Detroit angle LFO gave it for the rave scene about to explode and UK Techno scene that followed soon after. My first love has always been the more dark melodic stuff coming out of Detroit, of which was heavily influenced by the darker melodic side coming out of Chicago Acid House. Tracks like Master C & J - Face It, In the City at the time left me thinking this is just not gonna get any better in the late 80s, but then the UK Techno scene really ran with it all full of mdma lol and it exploded of course. All debatable too, but the pinnacle for me re. UK Techno was actually the smaller unknown labels like Likemind in the mid 90's, with artists like Nuron, Stasis (Steve Pickton), Redcell(B12), Black Dog, Kirk Degiorgio. One of my favourite tracks of the 90's is Stasis - Artifax. Has a bit of Kawai in it iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy269DhheF8

Oh Black Dog are a favorite. You are totally right about late 80s. I believe the 1987-1996 period was all the rage for electronic music. Acid, Detroit Techno, then the UK rave, breakbeat thing splitting to so many things, early jungle turning into drum & bass, R&S doing its thing, EYE-Q pioneering the birth of trance, IDM rising mainly through WARP records and the list could go on. So many things happening at the same time and so fast.

Then the European scene decided its time to take America where the big money is. Things got a lot more commercial and the final nail in the coffin came with the dutch people and their big stage formulaic trance sound that turned later into the EDM genre and made DJs super stars.

hockinsk3 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:40 am Wish more was emulated on the 90's rompler side. I'd pay someone at least 3 pints of beer and some crisps in any flavor desired for a Yamaha MU-Series or SW1000XG VSTi. Some of the old XG sounds are really quite difficult to simulate as they had a distinct vibe all to themselves and the rom's are impossible to hack it seems. I regularly reach for the vsti out of Yamaha SOL2 or record the QY70.
Thank you for this video and an excursion into the history of interesting models. I find the sound of the QY70 really special! Most likely, they were lost in history and were not considered worthy of rebirth in the virtual world by anyone. I know there are a lot of Midi GM/XG banks in sf2 format on the internet, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for...

No longer entered into OsC

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/el-e-mental

Thanks to those that listened & commented :tu:
Last edited by Eauson on Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

So... I do have a couple of questions, where the manual would not enlighten me.
  • Is exporting sysex really the only way to save a patch, or is there some other way?
  • Is there any way to initialize a patch?
  • Some presets seem to have a keyboard split point, where others don't. But I can't find a visual clue to this or any way to create/edit/remove the split point. What do I miss?
I hope anybody can help. This seemingly arbitrary behaviour of this virtual intrument (I don't want to call it synth), is increasingly annoying me...
It's really a pity, and it would be a great loss not to create something this month, because I really like the idea of going full eleven on effects.

If you use the .dll version, you can save through the DAW as a preset/bank. For some reason VST3 is broken, you can't save and neither can the DAW with your project.

DAW FX still ok?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

SeBaer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:59 pm So... I do have a couple of questions, where the manual would not enlighten me.
  • Some presets seem to have a keyboard split point, where others don't. But I can't find a visual clue to this or any way to create/edit/remove the split point. What do I miss?
As far as I understand this is done with the KS-parameter: You can select a curve and an intensity how volume increases/decreases with key-number. There are five curves, one is linear and one (I guess it's #5) is a rectangle-like step ... so to say key-switch.

SeBaer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:59 pm So... I do have a couple of questions, where the manual would not enlighten me.

Is there any way to initialize a patch?
I just picked the first preset, set all modulations to zero / off, volumes to 100, set all four ENVs to some typical ADSR values and loaded the “saw1” waveform into all sources and export it as ini.fxp. Then every time I want to make a new sound I load this preset. But you have to use the VST2 version as the VST3 one has issues as already reported.

nenneb wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:04 am As far as I understand this is done with the KS-parameter: You can select a curve and an intensity how volume increases/decreases with key-number. There are five curves, one is linear and one (I guess it's #5) is a rectangle-like step ... so to say key-switch.
phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:29 am I just picked the first preset, set all modulations to zero / off, volumes to 100, set all four ENVs to some typical ADSR values and loaded the “saw1” waveform into all sources and export it as ini.fxp. Then every time I want to make a new sound I load this preset. But you have to use the VST2 version as the VST3 one has issues as already reported.
hockinsk3 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:04 pm If you use the .dll version, you can save through the DAW as a preset/bank. For some reason VST3 is broken, you can't save and neither can the DAW with your project.
Thanks, all of you. I'm using the VST2-version anyway, so I'll try tonight. :tu:

Aiynzahev wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:48 am DAW FX still ok?
This month, we have only expanded the number of types of allowed effects, there have been no bans on what we always have) That is, you can use DAW FX, including distortion, chorus, phaser, etc. :tu:

Eauson wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:19 pm Thought I’d get it over & done with
Not sure I’m gonna hav much time & it’s always better in the raw :D

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/el-e-mental

15-20 instances
Reaper
I used fx ;)
Good stuff, love it :)

Evening all.

I have no idea how I arrived at this particular destination because this is a huge departure from my usual dubby meanderings. But, I had a swinging good time making it :P

https://soundcloud.com/neverbeeninariot/coopers-dream

Reaper 6.4 and 12 instances of Nil's K1v

Track FX
Blue Cat Chorus (2), Flanger (1), Phaser (1), ChowCentaur (1), ReaComp (2), ReaGate (1), Ignite Emissary and NadIR (1 of each), JonV Fircomp 1 (I love that thing, 4), JS Saturation (1), JS Volume Smoother (2), Klanghelm IVGI2 (2), Melda MCompressor (3), MEqualiser (15), MTremolo (2), MVibrato (1), OrilRiver (6), TAL-Filter2 (1), TDR Nova (2), VOS Thrillseeker (so happy to see this back in 64 bit, 1), Valhalla FreqEcho (6), Supermassive (1), Venn FreeClip (1), and OTT (1)

Master Bus
ChowTapeModel, TDR Kotelnikov, TDR Nova, Cockos ReaLimit and Cockos Loudness Meter

Loudness Stats for Nerds
LUFS-S Max -9.2
LUFS-I -12.0
LRA 6.8

Enjoy, or not :-D

Good luck to all of this months entries! :)

Just a quick report of a strange issue I have been having. Never had this issue ever.

DAW; Reaper. VST2 64-bit ersion of KiV

One midi track keeps doing a program change (PC) at the end of the clip. Switching from my strat patch to a drum+cymbals (always the same patch as well). It happens once the track has played.

I have changed the channel, looked for rogue sysex, looked for PC messages etc. Nothing to find. Checked all midi clips on all tracks. Nothing which could "leak" to other tracks. No sysex or PC's anywhere.

Exported the midi, reloaded in a new project with just K1V. Same problem.

My solution was to edit the SYSTEM stuff to change Program Change to "none" ...

Very very strange. It's ONLY this midi clip. The only thing it has different to the other tracks are pitch bend messages.

Anyone else having issues with the resize tab not working on this synth? I'm using the VST3 version in Reaper on a Mac.

Return to “Instruments”