FS1R

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've gotten interested in buying an FS1R lately.

Before I go through with it, though, I wanted to ask here and see if there is a comparable plugin out there. Anyone know?

I believe this is also an option. Depending on what you are after re: the FS1R.

http://www.dashsignature.com/?content=HQS1_FS1r

These will run in EVE and Wusikstation.

The answer to that is not yet. What makes the FS1R so unique is the extended battery of FM operators it offers. If you look at the classic X7 generation of FM ‘algorithms’ – the various ways in which operators can be routed together – there’s always at least one in which the operator feeds back into itself. This allows the operator to generate a waveform that is almost (but not entirely) random white noise, and is the only means by which an FM synthesizer can make plosive, textural and percussive sounds.

The great problem this causes is that these noise generators often have long periodic cycles that often (but not always) cause a cycling inharmonic interference to appear in extended notes. Try any X7 pad patch on a synth such as FM7 or a DX200 and you’ll probably (but not certainly) hear strange periodic shimmers, gargling and sibilance in pads that should be completely smooth when the note is held on for long periods. This distortion is a killer because it’s uncorrelated to the pitch of each note, varies with the pitch of each note and is almost impossible to equalize out.

The FS1R has 8 voiced operators (which generate the pitched tone) and 8 unvoiced operators (which generate enveloped white noise) allowing the creation of patches that have massively lower transient cycling in held notes, and the exertion of formants, allowing the strangest most ethereal voice pads any synth makes. This is further enhanced by a range of expressive change both across the keyrange and across note velocities that I’ve never encountered in any other synth.

I’m one of those who think not a lot digital ever really quite equals the power and expressiveness of a real analog. The FS1R does and it’s entirely digital. And I’m not selling mine. :uhuhuh:

Right. There is nothing yet.

The only one (covering the DX compatibility in the FS1R and maybe it's Filter operators) is NI FM7.

The formant section and performance mode is competely unreached yet (and probably remains that way a long long time).

The point is probably, that no one in the VSTI dev community still has the knowledge of the magic goin on inside this monster.

If your interest is playing with formants, you can try this one:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1159.html

You have several kinds of formants (all harmonics, odd or even harmonics, several shapes, etc.) and, as I guess for FS1R, they are NOT filtered but synthesized

In the next ver. 0.1.0 you'll be able to move the formant center in realtime.

Beware of this synth: it is VERY complicated :-o

@jackle&hide: yes, I have! I love that monster. And it inspired me when trying to design the formant part of "Solo" vsti.
But sadly the market is what it is... :(

The FS1R has quite good sounding filters, harsh FM combined with formants and a really good sounding FX section. As plug-in it'd probably would eat up all the resources of a current computer and more. I still thinking about getting a 2nd one...
The only downsides are: The limited envelopes, still much better than ADSR, but I'd prefere loopable multistage ones. The 88 fixed algorithms, since an FM-Matrix would be more flexible. Programming it directly from the front panel is pain, so I wouldn't recommend to use it without an editor software, but there are some free editors avaiable...
A formant is a preferred resonating frequency of any acoustical system.

a second fs1r is still in my wishlist too, because there is only room for 127 userpatches. this is not much for such a synth! i hope yamaha will ever bring out a new fs1r - more userfriendly and enhanced features ...
apples & oranges
--
peace :]

Anyone here get the FS1R/Fseq editor to work? I have had not luck. thanks

Haven't tried it, since I still don't like the idea giving up half the patches for user formant sequences...

morelia wrote:I believe this is also an option. Depending on what you are after re: the FS1R.

http://www.dashsignature.com/?content=HQS1_FS1r

These will run in EVE and Wusikstation.

I can vouch for this set : EXCELLENT!! painstacking work in creating the samples. Might even do a patch bank for it.

as far as emulations: you could try several instances of the present emulations in energyXT along with a filter plugin to make one giant patch that you can recall in eXT and your host.

TC

I don't think a sampling CD can even remotely cover the controllability of the sound the FS1R can offer...

Haven't tried it, since I still don't like the idea giving up half the patches for user formant sequences...
What do you mean?

There's a switch in the system setup to use half of the patch memory for user made formant sequences.

Summa wrote:Programming it directly from the front panel is pain, so I wouldn't recommend to use it without an editor software, but there are some free editors avaiable...
Oh come on, you know you like small displays and buttons the size of pinheads for programming. ;)

The formant filter does sound great on that box. I had one for a very short time, then sold it for a profit. Kinda wish I still had it. Oh well.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Return to “Instruments”