Kawai K5000 VS. Softsynths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markleford wrote:
boin wrote:But if you need a controller, give it a chance! :D
Though be aware the the knobs send out data in relatively chunky increments.

- m
Good point, I didn't know that. By "controller" I meant actually the keyboard only - but there is more to a controller than just the keyboard.

I have been seriously thinking about selling my K5000S for a couple of months but am unsure whether to do it or not now, as it has my favorite feel of any MIDI controller I've ever tried (I'm a pianist, so I like a keyboard that has some resistance). While I don't use its sounds 99% of the time, I use it all the time to control my other synths and VSTi's. The sounds I've heard it make can be amazing too... (I love the sound of sweeping individually through 128 harmonics! :D )

So basically if I look at hardware I should forget the K5000R version and consider a K5000S because the keyboard and knobs might make it more appealing when comparing with softsynths, huh?

I don't have any additive synthesizer and I'm thinking which way to go (soft or hard) to get the most bang for my bucks. I have no idea of how much a K5000S is worth nowadays, do you guys?
L8ter Oscill8ters!

Man-Machine wrote: I don't have any additive synthesizer and I'm thinking which way to go (soft or hard) to get the most bang for my bucks. I have no idea of how much a K5000S is worth nowadays, do you guys?
best bang for bucks imo: COFX Adder: it's by far the most inexpensive of the bunch (although it has no resynthesis-features - at least not yet - Jon?)

anyway: Jon reduced the price to US$48 / EU€37 / GB£25 :shock:

but: you really should also jump in to the WhiteNoise group buy - if there are enough participants you get DoppelMangler for 75$ and Additive for free! :shock:

As a resynthesizer DoppelMangler has a fantastic quality (imo by far the best) and you can do crazy beautyful things with it. :-D

Additive is fantastic as well and it can also import/analyze wave-files :-D

edit: with the current situation I'd go for the WhiteNoise gorup-buy. You could still buy Adder later on as its price seems to stay as it is.

In fact much more people should jump on the group buy! You're f**king brainless morons if you let this opportunity pass! :razz:

im a long time owner of the K5000S and i've got a whole bunch of the additive softsynths.

pros for softsynths:

- the softsynths are way easier to program than the K5K, even with sounddiver.

- you can buy a virtual fistfull of softsynths for the price of a single used K5KS. each will have its own character, abilities, strong points, and tone.

pros for the K5KS:

- the keyboard feels awesome. if, in addition to an additive synth, you'd also like a new master controller...this is a good choice.

- its got a tone of its own. just as the softsynths sound different from each other, the K5K sounds unique too.

pros for both:

- good number of patches (this goes for the K5K patches available online as well as the option of buying several additive softsynths)

- its additive! you can get quite a different tone and feel from additive thats just different from working with other forms of synthesis.

if you're still interested in hearing some mp3's of the K5K, i've got a bunch posted to my site: http://www.cortidesign.com/ugo go to the samples section and scroll down. you'll find them around half way down the page. the mp3's show off quite a lot of K5K patches. many are factory presets, a few are made by me, and the rest were made by other K5K users.

-ugo

How do I join this group buy? I've never done that before...
L8ter Oscill8ters!

Forgot about the keyboard aspect... yes, the K5000s is by far the best feeling keyboard I own. I wanted to use it as my main keyboard controller, but its just a bit too deep to fit on my desk, so I'm stuck using an Edirol instead. :(

I would also disagree that its only good for evolving pads. I have some very nice synth drum patches, and it does pretty good brass, bass, and other conventional sounds with a synthetic flair to them.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Man-Machine wrote:How do I join this group buy? I've never done that before...
http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/GroupBuy/

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 80&start=0

:wink: :D

My K5000R never did much for me. I think it had one pad sound that I had a little bit of trouble reproducing with other synths but I got there eventually. I bought it when Kawai halved the price but I never really used it much. I think I only lost $100 when I sold it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:My K5000R never did much for me.
Surprise, surprise! :o

:hihi:

BONES wrote:My K5000R never did much for me. I think it had one pad sound that I had a little bit of trouble reproducing with other synths but I got there eventually. I bought it when Kawai halved the price but I never really used it much. I think I only lost $100 when I sold it.
yeah, but you have WaspXT and orion
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I didn't then. I only had Trinity and CS2x. I kept the K5000R for as long as I did because I needed the extra polyphony more than anything. Its filter sounded like shit and the additive krap didn't do anything.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:Its filter sounded like shit and the additive krap didn't do anything.
And so...you bought it for a bit of a lark, then. :?
Last edited by kilroy on Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

believe it or not...it was actually bones that suggested i try a K5K back in 98! :shock: he may not have ended up likeing it much, but he was right about my potentially digging it. to this day, i still love the sound of that synth. 8)

about that filter...it couldnt be further from phat if it tried. but it is uniquely cold and digital and it can be one seriously brutal, harsh, evil, screaming bastard. actually, if you have patience, the filter can be tamed into sounding normal too, but imho, its cold weirdness is part of its character.

-ugo

ugo wrote:believe it or not...it was actually bones that suggested i try a K5K back in 98! :shock: he may not have ended up likeing it much...
Well...he didn't get any love from the Minimoog ladder filter either. :hihi:
...but he was right about my potentially digging it. to this day, i still love the sound of that synth.
I have the 5000s...lovely synth it is. This keyboard rewards the astute programmer with some truly exotic timbres. It is also a wonderful layering synth.
about that filter...it can be one seriously brutal, harsh, evil, screaming bastard.
Quite funny I thought...BONES not seeing a wee bit of charm in that. :hihi:
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

Return to “Instruments”