What is "warmth" anyway?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

r3nø wrote:Whenever i hear "warmth" i take my gun.
:hihi:

Forever,

Kim.

I see audio in colours. "Warm" is the red/brown spectrum while "cold" is blue/gray/white spectrum. Simple as that. When using the term correctly it is very informative indeed. Warm does NOT equal good.. neither does Cold equal bad. I find it truly sad that we've lost the audio language because of overuse/hype/people who don't know shit.. etc.

When speaking to some of my closer colleagues we can easily communicate with the terms "warm, cold, shrill, blue, boxy, punchy, flat, sloppy, bassy, dull, nasal" etc. they all have a distinct meaning to uss. Some of these are even described in several books on audio recording/mixing/mastering. For instance, boxy is usually means too much 150-300hz, warm is usually a slight low-mid/mid dip and gentle high-frequencies with well pronounced but balanced bass. Also, cutting certain 'nasty' frequencies a bit(around 1125-1175hz and 2250-2350hz) in some material can make it 'more warm' as it doesn't hurt the ears any more.

Warm, when talking about a synth, is basically the opposite to harsh. If it hurts the ears, then it ain't warm. If it pleases the ear and has a top end that doesn't disturb it can be called warm. However, there's a fine line between warm and dull.

EDIT: I just noticed that I forgot to add that 'thin' and 'thick' are also attributes of warm & cold. I guess the thickness in warm can come from 2nd harmonics or..? :help:

my 2 cents,
-bManic
Last edited by bmanic on Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

grease wrote:I'm just wondering what that quality called "warmth" is that we ascribe to analog stuff. I mean what exactly are we talking about here?
When you here someone talking about "warmth" in relation to audio, thats just the new world order way of saying "sperm"

Ok,let`s finish this way...warmth is her result of processing tracks with virtual instruments through Steinberg Warp-tube amp. Amin.... :x

I believe the origin of "warmth" in the context of audio originates to the tubes which actually got physically pretty warm during operation.

It is actually very easy for the human brain to relate the physical warmth with the sound that goes through it and somehow believe that that the sound gets 'warmer'... or whatever. Therefore tubes have been associated with warmth.

(This is MY personal explanation. I have very well seen how easily our brain and beliefs get manipulated. )

Transistors and digital technology do not glow, nor do (did) they get physically warm.

The irony of it is that today's digital technology (i.e. CPUs mostly) can get very warm physically as well :D

In recent years, I believe the term "warmth" has been heavily abused for marketing purposes. It's a great way to sell stuff to the vast number of people who have gone digital and simultaneously sustaining the belief that digital equals cold.

Having said that, I believe it's perfectly fine to use the term 'warm' (among other words which describe various sensations) to describe sound. But it is very subjective and heavily depends on context. Somebody's warm pad can be somebody else's dull pad. Somebody's transparent compressor may be somebody else's cold compressor... and so on and so forth.

I think Evan's dead on. Software developers created the "digital=cold" myth to peddle analogue modeled software. And the key hype term is "warmth".
There's two kinds of sound:
Pleasing and irritating.

Farts are warm. :hihi:

Forever,

Kim.

Gymnopedies wrote:
grease wrote:I'm just wondering what that quality called "warmth" is that we ascribe to analog stuff. I mean what exactly are we talking about here?
When you here someone talking about "warmth" in relation to audio, thats just the new world order way of saying "sperm"
I love your post, even if I have no idea what you mean. In any case, I'm going to try to put sperm in my music now.

Evan wrote:I believe the origin of "warmth" in the context of audio originates to the tubes which actually got physically pretty warm during operation.

It is actually very easy for the human brain to relate the physical warmth with the sound that goes through it and somehow believe that that the sound gets 'warmer'... or whatever. Therefore tubes have been associated with warmth.

(This is MY personal explanation. I have very well seen how easily our brain and beliefs get manipulated. )
That's interesting - it's probably correct too!

Well, it seems people can get very emotional about this issue - that is, the vague claim often touted that analog is somehow superior to digital. It seems that it is complicated by the fact that terms like "warmth" are used so inconsistently, and subjectivity is such a strong influence. Plus I think when it comes to sound, we can easily deceive ourselves and be influenced by the knowledge of its source, completely without regard to what it sounds like!

In any case, I just meant this thread to be a discussion of what the actual differences between analog and digital sounds are, and specifically what sonic qualities are the trademarks of analog equipment.

In addition to the obvious differences - for example variability - there are some interesting comments here. The comments on the attenuation of higher frequencies, and the emphasis of 2nd order and even harmonics are interesting.

But just one thing I want to be clear on - I really had no intention of starting a thread about "Hey, why is analog stuff so much better than digital stuff?", because I don't even believe that. I mean, if some people like analog stuff so much better than digital stuff, my feelings are that (1) they may be fooling themselves, and (2) there may be a kernel of truth to the claim that analog is different from digital, and if we can pinpoint it, then maybe we would want to make our digital stuff do those things. Or maybe not. Really, it was just something I was curious about. I'm just a hobbyist here with some curiosity about these things!

And for the record, I don't think I could ever use analog equipment again! I love doing everything on one computer!

I can't believe I'm the only one that sees audio in colours??? Warm.. it has NOTHING to do with tubes. Heck, a cello can be either warm or cold sounding and it has nothing to do with if it burns or not. Looks like the term is created by some people that actually think it has meaning and interpreted by a whole bunch of 'foreigners' (not understanding the language) and suddenly it's bullshit? :?

.. HUOH..

EDIT: well, ok, I kind of see the point with the tube glowing (which has a warm colour too btw, darkish orange/yellow), physical warmth thing but.. no, kind of not, if that makes any sense.. :hihi:

- bManic

I can personally vouch for this: in the days of tube equipment, there was DEFINITELY much more warmth in the studio. It was the switch to solid state circuitry, not digital, that got rid of much of the warmth.

And good riddance, says I -- you can't very well run a noisy air conditioner in a studio!

Return to “Instruments”