Please how to make this amazing Trance sound?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After 18 years, I finally found a song that I liked but I didn't know who made it, but I had this melody in my memory.
I remember when I got a CD-R from a friend where mp3 tracks were converted into audio but there was no information about what songs were recorded on them.
Today I found out that the one I like was DJ Shah -Tides of time.
I remember that I was always shivering when I listened to this main melody.
This is one of those tracks that at the beginning of the 21st century introduced me to real Trance music, so I would like to know it can be recreate this sound?
A long time ago I didn't know anything about electronic music production but today I can deduce that the low pass filter opens and closes while playing the entire melody line.

It's starts at 07:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i57NCQb6Snw

It's also heavily phased as well as filtered. Can hear some delay too. No telling if the phasing is created instrument side or in the DAW and these can yield different results. As far as re-creating the sound I couldn't help you there

I know this kind of experience and I have always felt happy when I finally found some good old song that I didn't have a name for in all those years.

This sound has now clearly caught my interest, too. It sounds very interesting. Probably others have already taken on the challenge as well.

It is a complex sound that consists of several elements and hence in my judgement it cannot be replicated in 2 minutes. There is a lot of fine tuning necessary e. g.
I'm trying to figure out how to approach this sound. My first result is not yet presentable but it already exists and it remotely already resembles some basic qualities that can be found in the sound. It sounds like this:

https://sndup.net/272k

As you can hear it is nothing like the original yet, though it may be called a starting point.
Since I'm a real beginner in this I'd much prefer to wait for those who've already been doing this for years and who are definately more experienced, so they could help even better with their possibly more reliable suggestions.
That is the only reason why I don't want to give any further suggestions yet at this point.

In the unlikely event that no such persons should come to the rescue, however, I will certainly tell you how to at least get that kind of result as a first starting point but at this stage I don't want to make other people go in any wrong directions while they may want to try this for themselves without being distracted by any false suggestions.
So the message of this is: "Don't worry. The sound can be demystified, I, e. g., am already trying, but it might take some time..."
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

Now I would use a phaser in post and tweak the number of stages etc to fine tune all but this is pretty much how you make that sound but not exactly that sound because that would take a lot more time.

https://vimeo.com/544502792
I put an LFO on the preset afterwards but remove it to control the frequency of the filter/phaser
LD - Phasey Tides of time.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Amazing what a phaser can do if you find the right settings for it and automate it correctly!
I was trying a different approach which will also lead to some interesting results as you could hear in the above example, but actually in this case it alone won't lead you to exactly this sound, so forget it! I'm generally very critical and Choos, since he is not a God, will not always be 100% right or know everything but in this particular case he did it again and convinced me: this is how you do it! This is how you get that sound for the most (over 90%) part or even completely if you do as has been further suggested! The nuances can be gotten with some more fine tuning that MAY also involve a formant filter and/or some EQing on top and they MIGHT have chosen the thin pulse wave which sounds very similar to the saw wave or they might have chosen a more rounded saw wave in the very nuances but that's it. There you go!

Hahaha! Amazing!
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

Very cool

Thank you CHOOS. It's awesome work. Your sound is almost the same like the original synth used in this track.

Choos where can we get the drums in this track or tutorial?

CHOOS wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:10 am Now I would use a phaser in post and tweak the number of stages etc to fine tune all but this is pretty much how you make that sound but not exactly that sound because that would take a lot more time.

https://vimeo.com/544502792
I put an LFO on the preset afterwards but remove it to control the frequency of the filter/phaser
LD - Phasey Tides of time.zip
Awesome! :o

Return to “Sound Design”