Suzuki QChord - help filtering the midi output into my DAW

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok, i think i can use this. i'll try using the pitch bend on each channel to transpose the notes on that channel, then send out the transposed notes on channel 1 along with the "actual" pitch wheel.

is there a free soundfont that will play this correctly, so i can see how it's supposed to sound?
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiPitchBendToNotes.zip

this should turn the pitch bend plus C notes into the correct notes. it will read the pitch bend range if it's set by the associated RPN, otherwise it assumes +/-12 semitones, which is what the QChord sets.

i don't know if it will work right when moving the actual pitch wheel, because the channel 1 data wasn't in that midi file for me to test it.

actually, you'll probably get better results by running the original midi to three instances of a VSTi, where each one responds to channel 14, 15, or 16. that should work with anything that can set its pitch bend range to 12.
wrongtastic, baby

Wicked, you rock.
I'll test it out tonight. Though, without net access at home, it might be a bit before I get back to you ;)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
insertpizhere wrote:http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiPitchBendToNotes.zip (http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiPitchBendToNotes.zip)

this should turn the pitch bend plus C notes into the correct notes. it will read the pitch bend range if it's set by the associated RPN, otherwise it assumes +/-12 semitones, which is what the QChord sets.

i don't know if it will work right when moving the actual pitch wheel, because the channel 1 data wasn't in that midi file for me to test it.

actually, you'll probably get better results by running the original midi to three instances of a VSTi, where each one responds to channel 14, 15, or 16. that should work with anything that can set its pitch bend range to 12.
Hi all,

I just got a q-chord myself - didn't think about that the midi implementation could be such a crap,
I'm using Logic Audio on Mac - and tried to do some channel filtering and stuff in the enviroment - i managed to get out the annoying channel 10, and summed up the other (also tried it without) but i still get only C or D notes.

any Mac users here who can help me?

tom

You have to put the QChord into the right "mode"
I can't recall what you call that mode, but it's not your Mac's fault.

I'm fairly certain I stashed my QChord info urls around here somewhere...

so did anyone have any luck making a logic environment for this midi beast? started working on one, but am getting befuddled..... would appreciate any tips!

Dayum this is old, and I guess I'm a little behind the times here, but I bought myself a q-chord yesterday withOUT looking for this kind of information about the midi implementation of these expensive little toys.

However, having looked at the midi data pouring out of this thing it looks like it's all on channel 1? I'm using Plogue's midi monitoring which isn't usually so wrong (and thankfully 'assume channel 1' is now off by default! (that caught me out a few times years ago..)) and it's coming through a trusty old MT4.

I dig the previous pages analysis of the data and what appears to be a useful plugin from insertpizhere designed to reroute the pitch bend data to the 14/15/16 midi channels, though the link is now dead. Are any q-chord owners using it in the way we all thought we could? I imagined using the strumplate data to trigger pads on softsynths, sounds very simple but based on the previous posts here I'm not sure now!

First things first though, is this a defective unit? Do I need to put it into a different mode to start sending the midi data over the expected channels?

Thanks!

Do I need to apologise to a mod for dredging up this old thread? I just wanted to try to keep related information together in one thread..

Helloooo?? Has every one who was using this died?

I opened a ticket with Suzuki UK to officially ask for all the midi documentation on the q-chord from Suzuki Japan to assist with this. Assuming I get back something vaguely useful, I will forward it to those who ask, unless otherwise requested by Suzuki.

In case anyone is still looking for it, midiPitchBendToNotes is part of the regular pizmidi collection.
wrongtastic, baby

What in bloody hell? I literally just pressed send on a PM asking you about this, and haven't even glanced at these forums for ages...

You're telepathic in addition to all your other glorious traits!

I don't want to sound like a fart but is there a mac equivalent anywhere?

Wow, it's been another 3 years and still looking for a solution. I have a QChord, and Ableton Live etc, has anyone found a way on a mac to filter the midi data properly? Or made a Max4Live device or whatnot? I figured it would be pretty easy to filter out the unnecessary midi data from the channels i DIDN"T want, but did not know the strumplate required pitchbend info etc.... but would love love love if someone had a solution for this.. I'm on a mac too...

thanks

For Mac, there is "QCommander"...

http://antifluke.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09 ... lease.html

For Windows, I've just been discussing this on the Bome MIDI Translator forum, where the developers have suggested a possible solution...

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11002

This works! Filtering out the pitchbend data is not the answer because you actually need that data.
This Pure Data patch takes the static midi notes plus pitchbend data from the qchord strumplate channels 14,15,16 and recalculates all of them to simple midi notes on channel 1 ("noteout" defaults to channel 1 with no arg). The strumplate midi output on the QC-1 is somewhat problematic for regular synths because of the pitch bending which would need to be on 3 separate midi channels (but it usually works fine on General Midi synths). This Pure Data example allows regular synths to properly receive midi from the QC-1. The horizontal slider (duration) at the top is set from 100 to 2000 (ms) within its properties.

D'oh...another three years later, I just picked up another Qchord, and finally realised that all you have to do is use channels 14,15 and 16 (or use Omni and filter out 10, to get rid of the auto-rhythm), and set the pitchbend on the VST instrument to 12 in both directions. Problem solved.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”