midi keyboard controller with lots of knobs (suitable as synth controller)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

how can it be that in 2013 manufacturers are still coming out with controllers with only DAWs in mind and a maximum of 16 knobs (and lots of shiny empty panel space. what's that for placing coffee?)... ...and 8/16 knobs are just half as many as you need for controlling even the most basic synth like monark.
how hard can it be to make a 37 keyboard with 32 knobs and 10 buttons on it.
just the fact that 10 year old used ms20 legacy controllers are still outselling your new products should be of indication that you are doing something wrong.
and NO people don't buy them cos they look cool ....but simply cos they are a compact all in one solution to keep infront of you when programming softsynths....and if it had some midi buttons on it the ms20 legacy would still be the best midi controller on the market despite not having endless/recall rotaries.
stop running after the ableton live kewl kidz and their shiny buttonz and give real musicians and synth geeks something that helps have better control of softsynths.
ok softsynths were not worth the bother before...but now they are as good as hardware and need better control.

/rant over

I hear you, big +1.

I'm still mainly using an ancient BCR-2000, because it has 32 rotaries (that also support 14 bit CC#), and a bunch of push buttons as well. And I use a Virus Polar as a MIDI controller much more than a synth as well (if 7 bit MIDI CC# suffices), go figure... :)

I can't speak from experience as I am relatively new to this world (I was like DAW-born 1 year ago ;)) but as I envision a playable keyboard -which to me as a pianist needs at least 49 keys- and add 32+ individual different size-workable knobs it would take a massive amount of space.

I'm happy with my PCR-800 i.c.m. my BCR-2000 and have not encountered any limitations as to control parameters of my soft snths.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Maybe with more knobs you need some way of remembering what they all do. So they either have rows of displays under the knobs (pricey...) or plastic overlays for you to write on (umm... tacky and cheap?) With that choice they just decide not to bother?

this is something i'd want (btw it is not a current arturia product but something i suggested they'd make to extend the minilab series which is only 25 keys/16 knobs)
something like this would sell in gazillions.
the knobs are well spaced out enough for you to grab them in a perfomance oriented way and for you to write or attach labels to any parameter or even make division frames with thin tape stripes between different sections (oscillators , envelopes etc)
and i don't see how something like this would be in any way expensive to make.

I'm about to start building my own diy midi knob boxes. A BCR-2000 and a Kenton Control Freak are not enough.
eh?

not a fan of keyboard + several knob boxes combos...never worked for me.
knob boxes come in all shapes and sizes and it's difficult to accommodate them on the desk.
knob boxes usually end up on the side or too far out infront....killing your back spine when constantly turning or stretching to reach them...and often end up unused.
the keyboard is what you presumably put infront of you and that's where you need the knobs to be too imo.
sure i've seen some amazing DIY jobs involving the bcr2000 . for example 2 soldered together in a custome case with a steep angle which made them less bulky and invasive....but would be nice to have something just straight out of the box that was practical.
that's why i'm pushing for a simple keyboard with shit loads of knobs solution.
it's the easiest and most straightforward solution yet not done.

Here's mine..a dedicated ImpOSCar2 controller driving Iris.

I'm still considering the behringer rotary encoder unit though..in fact I may just go and pick one up tomorrow.

There's also the Livid Code 2...

The controller pictured was selling for $1500 AU....can get a decent hard synth for that money..
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

There's always the novation sl mk 2 series...25, 49 or 61 keys with transport controls, serious knobbage (rotary encoders and pots) plus various buttons and an x/y pad...with automap...
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I use a ReMote SL which has LCD screens with buttons to switch the 8 knobs and faders to different functions as needed. The mappings are automatically displayed on the screens.

werp wrote:There's always the novation sl mk 2 series...25, 49 or 61 keys with transport controls, serious knobbage (rotary encoders and pots) plus various buttons and an x/y pad...with automap...
only 16 knobs....and if you buy the 49 key version is still only 16 knobs....and if you buy the 61 key version still only 16 knobs...and lots of shiny empty panel space to put your entire tea cups collection.
loook at all that empty space....couldn't it be filled with knobs?....instead completely empty how stupid is that. like i have space to waste on my desk? NOT!

even more wasted space and even less knobs yay.... :roll:

olikana wrote:even more wasted space and even less knobs yay.... :roll:
But massive built...

Sorry, saw your knob requirement only late. Check out their VX series. Has more knobs.

http://www.cme-pro.com/en/product-detai ... oduct_id=9

olikana wrote:
werp wrote:There's always the novation sl mk 2 series...25, 49 or 61 keys with transport controls, serious knobbage (rotary encoders and pots) plus various buttons and an x/y pad...with automap...
only 16 knobs....and if you buy the 49 key version is still only 16 knobs....and if you buy the 61 key version still only 16 knobs...and lots of shiny empty panel space to put your entire tea cups collection.
loook at all that empty space....couldn't it be filled with knobs?....instead completely empty how stupid is that. like i have space to waste on my desk? NOT!
The knobs and faders on the ReMotes are all switchable. They can control as many different funtions as you could need at the push of a button. How many knobs can you tweak at one time? I can manage 2 at a time unless I also use my teeth. :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”