Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is how Roli Seaboard plays. It is a grid.
Roli-playable.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The firmware creates that unequal spacing for EF an BC. If you use the raw data, you can access it completely linear, I made a Max patch to abuse the Seaboard block as 27 faderbox. The groove between those notes acts in my patch as a separate fader...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:49 am The firmware creates that unequal spacing for EF an BC. If you use the raw data, you can access it completely linear, I made a Max patch to abuse the Seaboard block as 27 faderbox. The groove between those notes acts in my patch as a separate fader...
Wow, that is really a great abuse in a creative and yet functional way! Well done!

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:28 pm Here is my impression of the Roli Seaboard:
1. It is a grid instrument
2. Keys (notes) go from front to back (see the attached picture) for both Black ("accidentals") and White (natural) keys; abnormally wide zones between E–F and B–C.
3. Front and Back there are 'non-wavy' plane slide zones (like strips)
4. No Pitch bend per note... (look 5.)
5. Usually the Y-glide gets assigned to Modulation (I think it could be a Pitch bend per note relative to the point of pressure applied, although not very convenient, because notes raise left to right)
I'm curious, why would you think there's no pitch bend per note?
There certainly is with my Block as can be clearly seen in the multiple midi channel pitch bend messages using midi-ox, and as I understand it the Rise works the same way.

And it saves my broken Seaboard as well as somehow usable. I don‘t know how it happened, but the foil with the connections underneath the surface is damaged which cuts off the left two keys and triggers the octave down buttons to the lowest keys...: - (
But I like my Linnstrument so much more anyway, I rarely touched the Seaboard...

cleverr1 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:19 pm I'm curious, why would you think there's no pitch bend per note?
There certainly is with my Block as can be clearly seen in the multiple midi channel pitch bend messages using midi-ox, and as I understand it the Rise works the same way.
I have not seen your Block and how it functions. Pitch bend messages can be triggered even by aftertouch (poly or not).
Before giving me an example let me remind you what I wrote earlier: pitch bend is different than pitch slide.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:27 pm But I like my Linnstrument so much more anyway, I rarely touched the Seaboard...
Seems like a faulty product... not sure though.

And Yes... Linnstrument is very different and unique device on its own (no need to mention that Roger Linn is techy genius).

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 pm Before giving me an example let me remind you what I wrote earlier: pitch bend is different than pitch slide.
Pitch bend is just a Midi message. Roli introduced the term slide for a gesture. Of course the gesture you do with a pitch wheel is different than a slide, but the resulting pitch bend is not different. Its a Midi pitch wich is bent. Might sound different when sliding an octave up than playing a note an octave up. Especially with multi sampled instruments...

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 pm
cleverr1 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:19 pm I'm curious, why would you think there's no pitch bend per note?
I have not seen your Block and how it functions. Pitch bend messages can be triggered even by aftertouch (poly or not).
Before giving me an example let me remind you what I wrote earlier: pitch bend is different than pitch slide.
How so? As far as I'm aware, pitch slide is just the term used by roli to describe pitch bend per channel. Pitch bend is the midi message, just like a normal single channel pitch bend, which can also be used as a modulator. Pitch is a destination, Pitch bend is a midi source/message, which is what a Seaboard Pitch Glide sends. So I'm confused what you are talking about.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROLI devices definitely do allow pitch bend per note.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:26 pm ROLI devices definitely do allow pitch bend per note.
Yes! But the Seaboard is just a grid :shrug:

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 pm

I didn't give an example - I presented confirmation of what a rise or block sends out in terms of midi. It actually round robins over the 16 midi channels each time a new note is triggered, each one with its own pitch bend info. I think Roli used the term "pitch slide" to describe this behaviour, which must be part of the MPE standard.

whatever, your assertion that "4. No Pitch bend per note... (look 5.)" is wrong. :dog:

Any keyboard is a grid of sorts, really. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:38 pm Any keyboard is a grid of sorts, really. :)
I dig it! However, Pashkuli seems to have made a new discovery, and seems to want to keep telling us about it :wink:

I'm really curious to hear how pitch bend is different from pitch glide.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”