2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:57 pm yeah i once saw a ship reach hyper speed simply by raising the level of the master fader :shrug
Master faders really ought to resemble the Death Star firing lever anyway. "Luke you switched off your quantize function! What's wrong?" "Don't worry Han, I'm using The Force to nail this track! Just like potting wamprats in Beggars Canyon. "

:hihi:

I bought the 2018 model Mexican Stratocaster in January. It's great. Too bad after doing some youtube searches I realized the gospel/r & b style guitar playing I like requires a ton of hammer on and pull offs with the pinky finger. I
have zero pinky strength and control. lol.

I've had some time to play with the Doepfer BBD. At first I wasn't sure the 1024 was the right choice, since flanging might not be the most common use I put it to -- but it can handle K-S pretty well and will get into moderate delay times with a lot of grunge, so I'm pretty pleased.

To get longer delay times I can put a clean delay inside the BBD's feedback loop, and change the ratio between the clock rate and the other delay to control over how much grunge I want :tu:

I found RX6 Elements De-Hum, ReaFIR and Brusfri all pretty good at cleaning up the whine from the clock if I don't want dark filtering. WIth narrow enough bands, the whine can be silenced but the aliasing sidebands near those frequencies still come into play.

Also, clocking the BBD with filtered noise can give some cool results. :D I don't really have a VCO that goes into really high clock rates, but I'll make a couple of wavetables with multiple cycles per wave to play with clocking it from the E370.

In less exciting hardware, I got a cheap pair of Creative Labs Pebble speakers for my computer to replace my bulky MA10As. I always use headphones when working on music anyway, and I'm stuck in a corner with a weirdly hollow-sounding table, so I might as well just use small basic speakers for games and movies.
Last edited by foosnark on Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

glad to hear youre having fun with the bbd :tu:
not tried a delay in the loop, or anything yet to be honest. but do love clocking it with odd things :hihi:

ive just managed to squeeze a fairly cool reverse delay type thing with the koma delay :o

just waiting on everything to clear with soma for the lyra8fx :hyper:

need some more and longer cables...

Found myself ordering a Sensel Morph last night. Weird, cos I was only intending to watch Alex French Guy make croissants on youtube.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Got a Behringer Neutron

Starting to collect DJ lighting even though I don't DJ. Just purchased a couple of these: https://youtu.be/zAk65qOwHTQ
Thought they'd be great for faking UFO footage. So hypnotizing! They have a fan so not ideal for studio lighting.

Also have a couple of 300mW laser units (red & green)--trying to decide if I should get a club-type multi-colour laser or wait for laser video projectors to come down in price;

Cheap fog machine (no-brand LED-500). Def. going to need a timer remote for this;

ENTTEC DMXis to control the lights via MIDI plug-in in a DAW;

1 unit: 7x12W RGBW 4in1 moving head wash; The Auto mode on this is annoying. It's basically a strobe machine that spins & tilts.

2 units: 4X18W RGBWA+UV 6in1 moving head wash; The Auto mode on this is better and even has "Totem" modes.

3 units: $22 10W RGB+UV COB PARs from ebay--these are not powerful enough for stage but great for the studio. Totally silent! The blue is already dead on one of the units so is now a RG+UV PAR.

What I don't have yet: Moving head spot lights with gobos. Physical DMX mixer. Holograms, lol.

Actually all of the lights & laser units have a fan except for the 10W PARs. Probably best to use RGB USB strips for the studio instead.
Last edited by meldavid on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:14 pmjust waiting on everything to clear with soma for the lyra8fx :hyper:
I watched some more videos of the full Lyra-8 and almost talked myself into buying one. It probably feels fantastic as an instrument, and some of its sonic range is exactly where I want to be. But I can get in that general area of sound already...

And meanwhile I kind of want to upgrade my 8 year old computer. Moore's Law has petered out, but my PC has a first-generation Core i7 -- a budget AMD Ryzen could eat its lunch.

So right now I'm telling myself: get the Erbe-Verb, maybe upgrade my computer, but wait until KnobCon to decide on any synth/effect hardware. (But that's 6 months away and how good is my resolve, really?)

I completely upgraded my studio after years in hiatus (going, for example, from Komplete 7 to Komplete 12, UAD-1 to UAD-2 and Cubase 6.5 to Cubase 10).

Don't really want to tell you how much I spent on this :-o
daRem - PinkLime Studios

I just got a new fangled Roland TR-127

foosnark wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:14 pmjust waiting on everything to clear with soma for the lyra8fx :hyper:
I watched some more videos of the full Lyra-8 and almost talked myself into buying one. It probably feels fantastic as an instrument, and some of its sonic range is exactly where I want to be. But I can get in that general area of sound already...

And meanwhile I kind of want to upgrade my 8 year old computer. Moore's Law has petered out, but my PC has a first-generation Core i7 -- a budget AMD Ryzen could eat its lunch.

So right now I'm telling myself: get the Erbe-Verb, maybe upgrade my computer, but wait until KnobCon to decide on any synth/effect hardware. (But that's 6 months away and how good is my resolve, really?)
payment through paypal to soma finally cleared...
i wont go in to my frustration here except to say that soma (leeza in particular as it's her ive been in contact with) have been great, no complaints about their customer service :) this is all on ppi.

still need to get those cables and pull the trigger on erbe, then i have no plans for the 1 rack ill roughly have left, till clouds and cvlization are realised!

few pedals though :hihi:
and i fancy a new axe and amp.

and a tiny drum kit for my future miniminivurt :lol:

ok, done! erbe and cables incoming!
made sure to get the order in before any possible votes screw the economy :lol:

Bought a Yamaha Modx 6 last week.
Wanted a hw FM synth and with AWM2 included i couldn't hold back anymore :)
Wanted a Moxf since it was launched but i never bought one and when Modx launched i bought it as soon as my local shop got them.

Trimmed my hw setup down to 3 hw pieces now since i got to distracted with buttons and lights everywhere :)

I've gone and done it... I bought an LZX Vidiot.

It probably won't be long before I fall down the rabbit hole of LZX eurorack modules. :scared:

I think it will go well with my circuit bent Panasonic video processor and 3trinsRGB+1c. I have a decent setup for video feedback and capture now. I can't wait to start incorporating video synthesis in my music videos!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”