DrumComputer Midi Out (Logic AU)

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm trying (failing) to take the midi out from drum computer's sequencer in real-time while running as AU in Logic. I've seen many references to midi out capabilities in the manual and assumed I could map these via the Logic environment to other AU tracks, or virtual port, or via IAC but see no output from the plugin...

Is real-time midi out possible? Or only accessible through the drag n' drop midi functionality?

I don’t think it’s possible with the AU

Don’t know specificaly about DrumComputer, but with Logic you’d need to run the VST version to make it happens.
That would mean to use a wrapper like e.g. Blue Cat Audio’s PatchWork, Soundigy’s MIDI Lab, etc.
EDIT: removed Architect since it doesn't instantiate as AU midi effect.
Last edited by nordickvr on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yes, it would be possible in Logic with PatchWork

Thanks, I've run in to the difficulties of getting midi out from AUs years ago, i was hoping that was all sorted :D

Looking at Soundigy’s MIDI Lab here as it looks the most modern/tweakable + cheapest of the 3. Have you used this? is it possible to output MIDI directly from MIDI Lab running as AU within Logic? Or does it create ports/ use IAC.

Ahh, just tried the demo of MIDILab and it can't be loaded as Multi-Output AU so scrap that idea. Loomer and Patchwork also look far too complicated (and expensive) to use just to get midi from a plugin. I'm just going to scrap the idea for now.

Its a real shame Sugar Bytes don't have virtual outputs in their AU (although I can see why that would be a pain in the ass to add just for AU/ Logic users), i'd assumed that given their background in sequencer-ish software (Thesys/ Consequence) those plugins would have virtual midi port/ output mapping functionality when loaded as AU!?

Had a look at it.
If what you want to do is to play patterns from DrumComputer and have Logic's Software Instrument playing it, MIDI Lab will do.
PatchWork will do it to.
Removed Architect from my previous post (edited).

freakwaves wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:43 pm Its a real shame Sugar Bytes don't have virtual outputs in their AU (although I can see why that would be a pain in the ass to add just for AU/ Logic users), i'd assumed that given their background in sequencer-ish software (Thesys/ Consequence) those plugins would have virtual midi port/ output mapping functionality when loaded as AU!?
I think it’s more a limitation of Logic than Drumcomputer.

Yeah, it seems possible in AU specification anyway. BTW I had an official response from SugarBytes saying it's not possible and they have no plan to add virtual ports...

@nordickvr I didn't go for MIDI Lab originally because it only allows Mono/Stereo output as AU but what I just realised is that I didn't try running a separate instance of Drum Computer as Logic MidiFx within MIDI Lab (to use as Sequencer) then a Multi-Output instance of Drum Computer as AU on the same channel. This could let me do what I need + more while also helping with potential latency issues between Audio/ Midi. Thanks.

Return to “Sugar Bytes”