June Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Laguna Rising wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Laguna Rising - You had about the best mix and performance of everybody. In fact, you did an amazing job with this song. But I had no choice but to take off points for not doing an original work. It's a lot easier to arrange an established work, especially a classic like "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" than it is to write a new piece of music. That's why you finished where you did, for me anyway. Somebody who doesn't care about it being an original composition, I can easily see you winning this thing. It is going to be interesting to see how split the group is on this issue
fair enough :tu:
Thanks for the kind words. Truth is: I was lazy, earlier this month, so I followed my 1st source of inspiration on this theme and went with the flow :wink:
Well, on a production level, nothing was better. It was really well done. But like I said, the competition this month was really top notch. I'm almost embarrassed by my entry. :hihi:

Anyway, don't be surprised to find yourself in the top 3. Of course I could say that about just about anyone this month so the results are going to be very interesting to see. I'm really excited about this one.

Tbase2000 wrote:”Cool contrast between vocal and pretty standard sounds /.../ Thank you for not doing Polka.”
wagtunes wrote: ”… the music itself was very good /.../ A better mix and you would have finished a lot higher.”
Thank you, guys. I feel privileged being here, in this forum. I'm aware that the mix isn't very good. I'm almost positive that I suffer from some kind of electric or magnetic hypersensitivity. When I spend hours and hours with my computer and headphones, I start to sneeze and cough.

Does anybody know if there are headphones available that's powered by a long tube with air, rather than electric wires?

I finished the work with this song sitting two meters from my TV screen (not very large), using loudspeakers instead of headphones. I had to use rather low volume. It wasn't very fun, I felt irritated and annoyed... But I felt that the chorus was kind of catchy, so I didn't want to just leave it. But there was no enthusiasm present at all, I'm afraid...

I wish that I could give you feedback in the same way as you do, but I'm not very good at it. Also, there is a language barrier. Maybe I'll try to anyway, I don't know.

And about the polka: I'll save it for next month :wink:

And about lousy German football players, once again: Maybe you can trust bawling beer drinkers, after all :clap:
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

here are my free $.02 thoughts (votes to be cast later):

Tbase2000 - Get Off Your Knees

Socio-politically-charged theme
Joe-six-pack rocks the the thoughts of a "fictional" Joe's perspective
Musically successful in paying homage to a few eras of hard rock/classic metal tropes
Rawness gives the performance an honesty, rawness also leaves one wondering what a more polished recording and mix could yield

Wagtunes - Off To The Races

Fanfare for the stock car man!
Triumphant tympani and trumpets
Good composition which conveyed grandeur
Orchestration solid, but spacial placements and some reverb mismatches undermined the "realism" of the sections

Laguna Rising - Dystopian Ballgame

Playful deconstruction of a national pastime anthem
Fun blend of sounds, textures and tempos
Avante-garde Atari Jazz with with a few hits that went for extra bases, a of couple swings and misses, but, in the final tally, a winning performance

Beanpole - A.B.E.

Post-Punk pub chant
Catchy tune that makes me want to sing along...even though I can't understand most lyrics, except the most important ones about England
Lovely production
Anyone one can win, but this one might get my top vote

Donkey Tugger - can never see the names of his songs

A dream song reflecting far off victories beyond the pitch perhaps
Swamp guitar meets dreamy synths meets NIN beat meets Peter Gabriel
Unique and fully fulfilling on many levels
Well performed, produced, engineered and mixed
Still not sure what you got against bass

Per99 - Beer Drinking Bawling

A curious mix of a curious mix of haunting vox effect and other impulses
Can't understand one word but enjoyed the spooky juxtaposition of that FeverRay-esque vocal and the synths and the guitars
In fact, had you went full "If I had a heart" in terms of instrumentation, who knows how all the drinking would have ended

Hellfog - 2018 Men's Laser Radial World Championship

Suspense soundtrack to a sport of some sort
Sounds are good and well mixed
Composition is minimal, effective in conveying the anticipation of thrills, but does not fully convey (to me) an interrelationship to a larger theme

Jonny Quest wrote:here are my free $.02 thoughts (votes to be cast later):

Tbase2000 - Get Off Your Knees

Socio-politically-charged theme
Joe-six-pack rocks the the thoughts of a "fictional" Joe's perspective
Musically successful in paying homage to a few eras of hard rock/classic metal tropes
Rawness gives the performance an honesty, rawness also leaves one wondering what a more polished recording and mix could yield

Wagtunes - Off To The Races

Fanfare for the stock car man!
Triumphant tympani and trumpets
Good composition which conveyed grandeur
Orchestration solid, but spacial placements and some reverb mismatches undermined the "realism" of the sections

Laguna Rising - Dystopian Ballgame

Playful deconstruction of a national pastime anthem
Fun blend of sounds, textures and tempos
Avante-garde Atari Jazz with with a few hits that went for extra bases, a of couple swings and misses, but, in the final tally, a winning performance

Beanpole - A.B.E.

Post-Punk pub chant
Catchy tune that makes me want to sing along...even though I can't understand most lyrics, except the most important ones about England
Lovely production
Anyone one can win, but this one might get my top vote

Donkey Tugger - can never see the names of his songs

A dream song reflecting far off victories beyond the pitch perhaps
Swamp guitar meets dreamy synths meets NIN beat meets Peter Gabriel
Unique and fully fulfilling on many levels
Well performed, produced, engineered and mixed
Still not sure what you got against bass

Per99 - Beer Drinking Bawling

A curious mix of a curious mix of haunting vox effect and other impulses
Can't understand one word but enjoyed the spooky juxtaposition of that FeverRay-esque vocal and the synths and the guitars
In fact, had you went full "If I had a heart" in terms of instrumentation, who knows how all the drinking would have ended

Hellfog - 2018 Men's Laser Radial World Championship

Suspense soundtrack to a sport of some sort
Sounds are good and well mixed
Composition is minimal, effective in conveying the anticipation of thrills, but does not fully convey (to me) an interrelationship to a larger theme
Thanks Jonny. Yeah, when I get VSL MIR Pro 24 tomorrow, those reverb problems will be a thing of the past because MIR Pro 24 puts everything on a sound stage and does it all for you including accounting for how far back or forward each section of the orchestra is. Personally, I can't wait as it's going to make my life a lot easier and my orchestral work a lot more realistic sounding.

wagtunes wrote: Jonny Quest - Nothing. This was the most hysterical, well done piece of anything that I've heard in a very long time. I'm still laughing. Having said that, because of the strength of the rest of the field, I wouldn't be shocked if you came in 2nd or even 3rd. This was a very tough month to judge.
Glad you can laugh at you own joke ;)

But, seriously, as seriously as such things can be, thanks for the kind praise. Had you not served up those lyrics in jest, and allowed me to use them, I am not sure I would have participated this month since I feel far removed from the realm of champions these days, but having a little fun made it fun :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Thanks Jonny. Yeah, when I get VSL MIR Pro 24 tomorrow, those reverb problems will be a thing of the past because MIR Pro 24 puts everything on a sound stage and does it all for you including accounting for how far back or forward each section of the orchestra is. Personally, I can't wait as it's going to make my life a lot easier and my orchestral work a lot more realistic sounding.
That seems like a brilliant product which addresses probably one of the most significant "problems" facing folks working with orchestral sample libraries trying to achieve realistic results.

When I listen to excellent recordings of real orchestras, I'm am so utterly stunned how there's so much detail in tonal, spacial and instrument balance often captured with just a pair of well-placed stereo mics. Of course, an impeccably designed hall, master players and an accomplished conductor don't hurt. In contrast, ITB composers/producers with so many, practically infinite, tools at their disposal, struggle to get a realistic orchestra effect.

Look forward to hearing what you create with VSL MIR Pro!

wagtunes wrote: ”… because MIR Pro 24 puts everything on a sound stage and does it all for you including accounting for how far back or forward each section of the orchestra is.”
Mr. Wagtunes – I just get so curious: When I have tried to compare different reverbs to each other, I have always used headphones. Then I can hear differences clearly. As long as I used rather expensive loudspeakers and a heavy amplifier, I didn't care much about reverb, because everything sounded just about the same to me.

So I guess you use headphones? I'm not saying that true reverberation is valued too high. But when it comes to rock/pop/contemporary music, things get complicated – don't they? Every guitarist use their own reverb, than the sound engineers add more reverb (probably), and if the band is playing live, reverberation also comes from buildings et cetera. It's a mess – isn't it? (But it's fun.)

per99 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: ”… because MIR Pro 24 puts everything on a sound stage and does it all for you including accounting for how far back or forward each section of the orchestra is.”
Mr. Wagtunes – I just get so curious: When I have tried to compare different reverbs to each other, I have always used headphones. Then I can hear differences clearly. As long as I used rather expensive loudspeakers and a heavy amplifier, I didn't care much about reverb, because everything sounded just about the same to me.

So I guess you use headphones? I'm not saying that true reverberation is valued too high. But when it comes to rock/pop/contemporary music, things get complicated – don't they? Every guitarist use their own reverb, than the sound engineers add more reverb (probably), and if the band is playing live, reverberation also comes from buildings et cetera. It's a mess – isn't it? (But it's fun.)
The answer depends on what it is you're actually recording.

With a rock band, yes, you have each instrument with its own reverb settings, especially the guitarists. However you also have the natural room ambiance if you're playing live.

With an orchestral recording, each instrument is completely dry. The ambiance is totally from the hall you're in. So in the case of an orchestral recording, something like MIR is almost indispensable as it will control the entire environment for you.

Hi, I hope you don't find the singers' opinions about other countries improper. We all know what football supporters are like - don't we?

Beer Drinkers Bawling

Soon enough we will meet
– beat South Korea
Germany, England as well
'cause they are lousy as hell

Belgium – just a joke
Poland's too funny
Brazil though – restore your fame!
football's the name of the game

Chorus:
We're heading for a victory in Russia
and we will have a great time when we score again
a journey that will take us straight to heaven
the sweetness of all this is waiting in the wings

Why on earth wait until
we reach the final
we drink beer, party today
genius – wouldn't you say?

[Chorus]

Laguna: Creativity 9, Musicianship 9, Production 7 = 25
--Intro has a cool transition to classic baseball riff. Good slapstick fun variations. The piano kills it.
Nice! That was a lot of organ work. I like the mix and the creativity. It is a bit hallow which is ok
since its mostly designed around that classic riff which is also hallow. Could have rocked a full
band version 4 at the end. :)

Beanpole: Creativity 9, Musicianship 9, Production 7 = 25
--Nice intro. Raw and Dirty. Catchy EBE....phrase. Interesting orchestra behind the spoken word
part. Drums work. The single keyboard sound accompany can go away 10db and have a helper
stereo track with a better tone. I like this though. It's dirty. Vocals are fantastic. I could see a
whole mob of drunken sailors singing this in unison.

Wagtunes: Creativity 8, Musicianship 8, Production 7 = 23
--Intro and synth work is really brilliant. The samples work. Shouldn't the intro started first before
the cars actually started racing? Just my thoughts. :31 why is the timing off on the hits? I don't
mind when its a full orchestra if something is off because that gives realism but not here. I really
did like this one except maybe the trombone (I think). Really small.

Johnny: Creativity 8, Musicianship 6, Production 8 = 22
--Great Low End with the synths. Super fun and creative. I like the mechanical flow with the vocals
and synths but I kept waiting for that sexy riff that made it real and for some contrast. 2:05 is a little
to late for me and doesn't deliver.

Donkey: Creativity 9, Musicianship 10, Production 9 = 28
--Sexy intro. Nice production and interesting beat. Can that synth pan automate or have a delay
stereo pan 5db lower? Smooth vocal bites. I really love the different textures. Once the song gets
going it's all there for me. Nice bass groove by the way!

Per99: Creativity 8, Musicianship 9, Production 8 = 25
--You could have had a clearer vocal with the same dirty effect by just doubling your vocal lead
track. I assume you pitched it down which is cool, but inaudible. Blending the two or even 3 would
have maybe worked. Those 80's Casiotone sounds are so hard to listen to anymore. Clearly your
talented with the chords you play and your production. Need a new lead sound bank. I did like your
creative depth with the orchestra sounds.

Great work this month! I just busted up the ties with an extra sexy factor.

Hellfog: Creativity 8, Musicianship 9, Production 8 = 25
--Forgot ya man...sorry. Intro is extra disturbing and then I look at the title and picture. Nice! Piano maybe bigger verb and more swells. Very nice piece. 1:44 why didn't you sink the ship with some crashing and panic? Nobody ever wrecked.... Sigh.

Tbase2000 wrote:Laguna: Creativity 9, Musicianship 9, Production 7 = 25
--Intro has a cool transition to classic baseball riff. Good slapstick fun variations. The piano kills it.
Nice! That was a lot of organ work. I like the mix and the creativity. It is a bit hallow which is ok
since its mostly designed around that classic riff which is also hallow. Could have rocked a full
band version 4 at the end. :)

Beanpole: Creativity 9, Musicianship 9, Production 7 = 25
--Nice intro. Raw and Dirty. Catchy EBE....phrase. Interesting orchestra behind the spoken word
part. Drums work. The single keyboard sound accompany can go away 10db and have a helper
stereo track with a better tone. I like this though. It's dirty. Vocals are fantastic. I could see a
whole mob of drunken sailors singing this in unison.

Wagtunes: Creativity 8, Musicianship 8, Production 7 = 23
--Intro and synth work is really brilliant. The samples work. Shouldn't the intro started first before
the cars actually started racing? Just my thoughts. :31 why is the timing off on the hits? I don't
mind when its a full orchestra if something is off because that gives realism but not here. I really
did like this one except maybe the trombone (I think). Really small.

Johnny: Creativity 8, Musicianship 6, Production 8 = 22
--Great Low End with the synths. Super fun and creative. I like the mechanical flow with the vocals
and synths but I kept waiting for that sexy riff that made it real and for some contrast. 2:05 is a little
to late for me and doesn't deliver.

Donkey: Creativity 9, Musicianship 10, Production 9 = 28
--Sexy intro. Nice production and interesting beat. Can that synth pan automate or have a delay
stereo pan 5db lower? Smooth vocal bites. I really love the different textures. Once the song gets
going it's all there for me. Nice bass groove by the way!

Per99: Creativity 8, Musicianship 9, Production 8 = 25
--You could have had a clearer vocal with the same dirty effect by just doubling your vocal lead
track. I assume you pitched it down which is cool, but inaudible. Blending the two or even 3 would
have maybe worked. Those 80's Casiotone sounds are so hard to listen to anymore. Clearly your
talented with the chords you play and your production. Need a new lead sound bank. I did like your
creative depth with the orchestra sounds.

Great work this month! I just busted up the ties with an extra sexy factor.

Hellfog: Creativity 8, Musicianship 9, Production 8 = 25
--Forgot ya man...sorry. Intro is extra disturbing and then I look at the title and picture. Nice! Piano maybe bigger verb and more swells. Very nice piece. 1:44 why didn't you sink the ship with some crashing and panic? Nobody ever wrecked.... Sigh.
Thanks for taking the time to listen and express your thoughts. Your insights on each entry provide genuine food for thought. While it breaks my heart in some small, micro crack in the the ice of life kind of way to have come in last in your scoring, I will dust myself off and come back swinging next month.

I was surprised to @Johnny and it didn't reflect your song at all. This was a super competitive contest which is really nice to see. My system isn't perfect but I try to keep it so it's something that I can live with at least. I honestly hate grading someone's music. You old mfer...you don't even get it...is what I either say myself or am worried is said about my opinion. That is also the fun of it. You have been listened to by some people and also judged...that in itself should be rewarding. Don't just compete, build yourself and build better competition with your insights. I personally like reading @Johnny's reviews. Very good.

Tbase2000 wrote:I was surprised to @Johnny and it didn't reflect your song at all. This was a super competitive contest which is really nice to see. My system isn't perfect but I try to keep it so it's something that I can live with at least. I honestly hate grading someone's music. You old mfer...you don't even get it...is what I either say myself or am worried is said about my opinion. That is also the fun of it. You have been listened to by some people and also judged...that in itself should be rewarding. Don't just compete, build yourself and build better competition with your insights. I personally like reading @Johnny's reviews. Very good.
Passing judgment is a curious endeavor, because, as you mentioned, the judgment itself is open to judgment. As a musician specifically, and as a person in general, who is always trying to improve and grow, I appreciate when someone takes the time to listen to my music and express their honest thoughts. :tu:

Even in this current tiny community of monthly contest participants, it's fun to hear the diversity of music and witness the differing tastes and perspectives that emerge as folks react to the same music. Fascinating really. Beyond my own entry, which is really the least interesting thing--even to myself--I am amazed when I hear one person's track as the clear and amazing front runner, only to see someone, whom I respect, vote that entry last. It's stunning because I trust both of us are having honest visceral reactions, yet, there is probably no way to explain all the variables that have led to each other's subjective opinions.

Jonny Quest wrote:
Tbase2000 wrote:I was surprised to @Johnny and it didn't reflect your song at all. This was a super competitive contest which is really nice to see. My system isn't perfect but I try to keep it so it's something that I can live with at least. I honestly hate grading someone's music. You old mfer...you don't even get it...is what I either say myself or am worried is said about my opinion. That is also the fun of it. You have been listened to by some people and also judged...that in itself should be rewarding. Don't just compete, build yourself and build better competition with your insights. I personally like reading @Johnny's reviews. Very good.
Passing judgment is a curious endeavor, because, as you mentioned, the judgment itself is open to judgment. As a musician specifically, and as a person in general, who is always trying to improve and grow, I appreciate when someone takes the time to listen to my music and express their honest thoughts. :tu:

Even in this current tiny community of monthly contest participants, it's fun to hear the diversity of music and witness the differing tastes and perspectives that emerge as folks react to the same music. Fascinating really. Beyond my own entry, which is really the least interesting thing--even to myself--I am amazed when I hear one person's track as the clear and amazing front runner, only to see someone, whom I respect, vote that entry last. It's stunning because I trust both of us are having honest visceral reactions, yet, there is probably no way to explain all the variables that have led to each other's subjective opinions.
Because music is not a math formula. It's all subjective. I hear some things that, to me, are nothing but noise and somebody will comment on Soundcloud "Wow, amazing" and I'm wondering what the hell they're smoking.

I am truly stunned at some of the rankings of your track this month and even more baffled at some of the tracks that were rated ahead of mine. No names mentioned.

Point is, this is all subjective. When that guy Daltry was voted off American Idol with 4 weeks to go, my jaw dropped to the floor. Now he went on to actually have a career.

So really, you can't take any of this seriously. Take it for what it is, people's opinions.

That and a buck will get you on the crosstown bus to Union, NJ.

Maybe

Most of us are that struggling hobby musician. We all want that audience but....What I really want to hear is someone go above and beyond the competition specs and rock a full song ready for radio. Honestly...what is your goal in all of this? Over at the Foxxy Chanel we had some of that. Really professional ready releases. This group has amazing talent and I'm a big fan now of a few of you. Just keep it going. I've seen huge progress in as little as 3 months from most of the submissions. Be authentic and produce your sound. It's fun. You do have talent...just run with it.

Return to “Music Cafe”