*Thomekk's old stuff corner (pre DAW-era, tape to tape / 4-track analogue recordings) latest: "Sturm-Kamasutra 2""

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

enroe wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:46 am
thomekk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:15 pm More News from the Old:

This is a happy (vocal) dada song (from 1987)
Korinthenwaltz
4-track-recording.
Ok, I would say "daring song" - almost accapella with acoustic guitar.
It's phenomenal for a 4-track recording! :clap:
Thanks enroe,

it was the time when making music was somewhat easy with so little opportunities in a way.
I think only a few tracks can sometimes be great. I'm also glad that the quality was somewhat ok (with some help of re-mastering)
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

htcnext2 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 am Korinthenwaltz - nice document from the analog era - the sound is not as bad as expected from that kind of recording devices. DADA - HAHA - LALA . :hyper: :clap: quite freaked out!
Thanks for giving it a listen :)

speech can be sometimes imo very cheerful simple :lol:
Symphony Nr.1

Korinthenwaltz - Cool freak out! You have managed to keep the analogue ness of it without needing any old tape plug ins! Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thanks Allomerus,

"freak out" seems to be fitting I guess :lol:
Symphony Nr.1

Interesting collection! Enjoyed them all, particularly 'Mark Duruti Andante'.

I think you might've inspired me to have a listen to all my old cassette tapes from the 1980s...the time of my long gone, trusty Tascam Porta 2 Multi track!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Thanks Mark,

glad you liked something out of it! It's just a part of me and the old works - therefore I'm trying to put some of it out besides the actual ones.
I have my old Fostex 4-tracker out to some engineer and hope he get's it repaired - and if...though it's so LoFi there would be hope from my side to remaster some of that oldish things to the better.

Maybe I will come to those primitive outputs again - who knows - the digital world is great, but maybe also somewhat sterile.

I'm saying this with DAW experience for 20 years or so. But who knows :)

Though I like my first symphony a lot (would never have been possible to make in the old days)
Symphony Nr.1

thomekk wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:24 am Thanks Mark,

glad you liked something out of it! It's just a part of me and the old works - therefore I'm trying to put some of it out besides the actual ones.
I have my old Fostex 4-tracker out to some engineer and hope he get's it repaired - and if...though it's so LoFi there would be hope from my side to remaster some of that oldish things to the better.

Maybe I will come to those primitive outputs again - who knows - the digital world is great, but maybe also somewhat sterile.

Though I like my first symphony a lot (would never have been possible to make in the old days)
Gave away my old Tascam 4 track some years ago..to a student who was just starting out and probably needed it more than me! Shame, in some ways as I've now got the urge to experiment with it again...it was all VERY different back then! Amazingly, they still fetch quite a decent price 2nd hand! :)

After my analogue period I went onto a massive digital hardware studio phase...

Akai samplers
Yamaha AW4416 Digital Recorder
Roland SP 808
Boss Dr 660 drum machine
+ various keyboards
All controlled by a Roland MC 50 sequencer (later a PC) and mastered on an Alesis ADAT.

Didn't get fully into IN THE BOX PC-based until around 2004...even then kept some of the above hardware for a few years.

Looking back...the money I've spent over the years! :) :pray: :scared: :evil:
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:02 pm

Gave away my old Tascam 4 track some years ago..to a student who was just starting out and probably needed it more than me! Shame, in some ways as I've now got the urge to experiment with it again...it was all VERY different back then! Amazingly, they still fetch quite a decent price 2nd hand! :)

Akai samplers
Roland SP 808
Boss Dr 660 drum machine
+ various keyboards
All controlled by a Roland MC 50 sequencer (later a PC) and mastered on an Alesis ADAT.

Didn't get fully into IN THE BOX PC-based until around 2004...even then kept some of the above hardware for a few years.

Hey Mark,

now my late reply, sorry.
I'm still waiting for my Fostex-4-tracker to come back to me, it's nearly half a year as it is at the engineer's house, who is still waiting for some spare parts to arrive from another part of the world. :( The good thing is, "that" there are still spare parts - maybe it's because of corona, I don't know.
And I also had a look at some used Fostex trackers - and yeah, not that cheap... so let's see and hope :)

My hardware was small in the days:
Main instrument besides smaller parts as melodica, flute and percussion and the guitars
was the Korg MS-10, which I still have. Plus a Yamaha Drumcomputer (had also other rhythm-boxes).

So more expenses started with software and later with sample-libraries - all in all also some money went into it all :lol:
Symphony Nr.1

thomekk wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Akai samplers
Roland SP 808
Boss Dr 660 drum machine
+ various keyboards

Hey Mark,

I'm still waiting for my Fostex-4-tracker to come back to me, it's nearly half a year as it is at the engineer's house, who is still waiting for some spare parts to arrive from another part of the world. :( The good thing is, "that" there are still spare parts - maybe it's because of corona, I don't know.
And I also had a look at some used Fostex trackers - and yeah, not that cheap... so let's see and hope :)

Main instrument besides smaller parts as melodica, flute and percussion and the guitars
was the Korg MS-10, which I still have. Plus a Yamaha Drumcomputer (had also other rhythm-boxes).

So more expenses started with software and later with sample-libraries - all in all also some money went into it all :lol:
This thread of yours has motivated me to dig out all my old recordings... Hadn't realised I still had so many! Just found my first ever multitrack effort from the 1980s... Just gotta get it off the cassette tape now before the damn thing falls apart!

ChameleonMusic wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:49 pm

Akai samplers
Roland SP 808
Boss Dr 660 drum machine
+ various keyboards

Hey Mark,

This thread of yours has motivated me to dig out all my old recordings... Hadn't realised I still had so many! Just found my first ever multitrack effort from the 1980s... Just gotta get it off the cassette tape now before the damn thing falls apart!
Great to hear,

just go for it! And yeah time can do some bad things to the old tapes. I hope you manage to get your stuff in time transfered into digital. I guess it's worth doing it. Luckily I managed to sort of remaster nearly all of the old stuff some years ago, but I'm not happy with the mastering in parts. Therefore I wanted to do this again with some tracks and then the 4-tracker did not work anymore. I also found one old cassette which absolutely had lost nearly any frequencies - so one track (the only one where I played violin) is gone forever :hihi:
Symphony Nr.1

thomekk wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:59 pm

Akai samplers
Roland SP 808
Boss Dr 660 drum machine
+ various keyboards

Hey Mark,

Great to hear,

just go for it! And yeah time can do some bad things to the old tapes. I hope you manage to get your stuff in time transfered into digital. I guess it's worth doing it. Luckily I managed to sort of remaster nearly all of the old stuff some years ago, but I'm not happy with the mastering in parts. Therefore I wanted to do this again with some tracks and then the 4-tracker did not work anymore. I also found one old cassette which absolutely had lost nearly any frequencies - so one track (the only one where I played violin) is gone forever :hihi:
So far... One transferred ( that very first one) and one lost forever... Bloody tape trashed itself when I rewound it! 😭

Found another 5 yesterday... Gonna try them tomorrow!

ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:42 pm

Akai samplers
Roland SP 808
Boss Dr 660 drum machine
+ various keyboards

Hey Mark,

Great to hear,

So far... One transferred ( that very first one) and one lost forever... Bloody tape trashed itself when I rewound it! 😭

:) good luck! And I'm curious what you made in those older days
Symphony Nr.1

thomekk wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:27 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:42 pm

Akai samplers
Roland SP 808
Boss Dr 660 drum machine
+ various keyboards

Hey Mark,

Great to hear,

:) good luck! And I'm curious what you made in those older days
Ha! I'm curious as well...finding things I'd totally forgotten about! :)

Not sure I'm gonna share them though...I'll think about it!

I checked out Theme For Four. Nice avant-garde music, sort of in the tradition of Captain Beefheart.

:tu:

fastlanephil wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:46 pm I checked out Theme For Four. Nice avant-garde music, sort of in the tradition of Captain Beefheart.

:tu:
Thanks a lot :)

Cpt. Beefheart was / is one of my heroes (especially for the things the guitars did)
Symphony Nr.1

Return to “Music Cafe”