44FEAR alternate contest - RULES & SUBMISSIONS

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By unpopular demand, it's time once again for my yearly alternative contest...

In 2003 it was Pink and Scary...

This year, you must survive...

44 Seconds of FEAR!

There is NO TIME for COWARDS...

It's going to be tough! You've only got a relatively short amount of time to creep us out or scare our socks off, so make every second count. We need adrenaline pumping, skin crawling, or pulse pounding by the end...

How you do that is up to you: creepy textures, slow build of tension and atonality, or outright bone-jarring cacophony? Fear runs a spectrum between Dread and Terror, so feel free to explore the gamut.

---------

the technical rules for this month are as follows -

1 - your track MUST be -

(a) encoded in .mp3 or .ogg format at 128kbps or lower
(b) Composed as close as possible to span a length of 44 seconds, but no longer than 46 seconds running time (yes, I'm adding two extra seconds of leeway for decay tails, but you should aim for 44: anything OVER 46 will be rejected, NO EXCEPTIONS!)
(c) named in the format year-month-artistname-tracktitle (ie - 04-10-artistname-tracktitle.mp3) with AT LEAST the artist and title fields of the ID tag completed (both these requirements PREFERRED, but we'll be nice if you vary slightly: it's just easier to handle when you provide all the identifying info!)
(d) composed using at least some plugin instruments or effects
(e) entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT link in this RULES & SUBMISIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else)
(f) submitted before the stroke of Midnight on October 31, 2004! (yes, that means this contest ends a week after the official October contest!)

2 - your track SHOULD be -

(a) composed specifically for this contest
(b) original material / remix / or hybrid in any style

3 - only one entry per person - no resubmissions without permission from the moderator

4 - any tracks not adhering to these rules will be strictly disqualified

5 - voting (non-competing members must have at least 20 posts to vote) will run from the submission deadline until Midnight November 7, 2004 - anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified - any entrants NOT voting will also be disqualified

Voting Tip! All current tracks for the 44FEAR contest can be found HERE!

6 - prizes so far this month ...

... nothing YET, but of nothing else comes up, I'll at least design a custom t-shirt for 3 winners: look here for my previous designs ...

(IF YOU ARE A DEVELOPER OR RETAILER who would like to contribute something please email or PM me with your offer - anything gratefully considered)
Last edited by Markleford on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Ok then, here's my entry, guaranteed to scare the f**king shit out of you! :-o

BOO!

Fear, not as easy to convey as one might think. I'm not sure if I've communicated it with this... I know it freaked me out in 5.1, stereo doesn't feel the same.
44 seconds is way toooooo short!
The pads and stuff... anything that sounds musical is my guitar and guitar rig. There's a couple of audio samples in there but I tried to make it totally with the guitar cos I knew there would be heaps of synth entries. Enjoy...or maybe not... MUHHAHAHAHAAAAHHAHAAHA...cough....splutter..ha.

Are you ready???
I play guitar

My first entry in a contest here at KVR

http://www.superglidefx.com/04-10-fxe-KVR_INHELL.mp3

[LameNerdJoke] I always confuse Halloween with Christmas, OCT 31 = DEC 25[/LameNerdJoke]
Anyway, since it's supposed to be scary this one's called Hex. (19)
Featuring a Victims Family sample, a Scorn sample, a jingle, Mr. Alias, LFX1310, CrazyIvan, Multilens

The preferred download (for size & sound quality) is the .ogg format Hex, for the poor oggless bastards out there I've also got the .mp3 Hex

Well, now I can do some work on the real contest.
:troll:

Had to have a go:

fear
Last edited by respirator on Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

here is mine:

SCAREME

He Lives :-o

Used: z3ta :D, Texture, Claw, Dub Siren, Spectrumworx, Retrodelay, Green little booster, endorphin plus hard-keys Juno and SY85 and the outboard behringers

For your delectation:a collection of scary noises and sounds. :scared: :scared:

After working on this I feel the need to visit some kittens. I am feel more than a bit wierded.out.

FEAREDEDONE

Host1 = FruityLoopsStudio
DiscoDSP Phantom x 3
PhatmaticPro
Kontakt - sounds from Sonic Reality Sonic Station
Effect PSP84S

Host 2 = Sonar 3.1.1
Kontakt sounds from Sonic Reality Sonic Station and GPO
Albino 2.1
Effects
PSP Nitro
iZotope Spectron

Host 3 = Tracktion for Mastering
Using PSP Vintagewarmer

Editing and MP3 conversion in Adobe Audition 1.5

heh..

:evil:

Here you go..Don't say I didn't warn you.

Turn off the lights, put on the headphones & pay tribute to the King..

Shameless abuse of sample clips from The Exorcist.

666orcist

edit: opps, forgot to list what I used :D

Orion Platinum 5.5

Battery with a kick from the Alkaloid Kit

Numerous Exorcist samples, one or two applied heavily through a rachmiel R4 mini-sampler/mangler.

FX are various mixes of:

Reaktor - AutoReverbII (user library ensemble, great for auto-panning as well as verb), Spacemaster stereo (R4 library ensemble), and Flatblaster(R4 library ensemble) on the master channel.

Orion's Stereo delay

E-Phonic's Retro Delay

Later,
Last edited by Sicklecell666 on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'll have a stab..

I think the best part of this one is the title..

http://www.krakli.co.uk/music/04-10-Ian ... lowian.mp3

I took a sample of me saying 'hallo-ian', stretched it so that it lasted 44 seconds and then give it a right good kicking in FL Studio..

with a limit of 44 seconds I was, like Long John Silver, pitching at the 'interesting patch' market

Shades of Hades :troll:

ATB

Ian Webster

This challenge was surprisingly difficult, or rather capturing what I had in my head was difficult!

The result is more "creepy" rather than scary, I think. Or maybe it's neither. You don't get much for selling your soul these days :-o

http://www.elderwyn.com/gmusic/04-10-gw ... friend.mp3

Used: Tracktion, Reason, Final Mix, and my best friend's delightful daughter Grace, who I promise is actually very sweet in real life :lol:

G.

oh ... go on then ...

... mostly audio - samples stretched and mangled and passed through my usual raft of effects plugins (this time LOTS of delays and phasers on top of some more esoteric stuff) - all played and edited in live4 ...

pHz---BIOSPHERE

... im not responsible for anything that might happen to your speakers / ears near the end ...

... enjoy (if thats the right word)

slainte :| rob

Return to “Music Cafe”