String ... as hardware

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
KVRAF
2239 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:18 pm

So it doesn't actually exist, but I thought some String fans may get a kick out of this. Achim Ortmann has given me permission to re-post his concept render for a dedicated String hardware unit.

Image

And as you can probably tell by the wood trim, it sounds significantly more analogue that the software version! :) Although bearing in mind the last hardware analogue synth I built exploded its battery (literally), I think it's best for everyone if I stick to developing software for now.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

User avatar
KVRian
1163 posts since 6 Jul, 2005

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 am

Looks cool Colin... is this the same guy that made the hardware controllers for U-he's Ace (and I think ImpOscar 2)?

User avatar
KVRAF
3495 posts since 19 Aug, 2008 from USA-lien In the 8th Dimention

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:37 am

Nice! I'd buy one. :D.

I did not know, you've built hardware. Cool!

I'm working on my first circuit bending project over the next few weeks and want to build some experimental electronic instruments as well.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

2239 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 am

taoyoyo wrote:is this the same guy that made the hardware controllers for U-he's Ace (and I think ImpOscar 2)?
No, I don't think so; this is just concept art, rather than the initial stage of an actual hardware controller. It'd certainly be an interesting project to tackle if I had the time: my calendar unfortunately tells me otherwise.
abstractcats wrote:I'm working on my first circuit bending project over the next few weeks and want to build some experimental electronic instruments as well.
If you've not done so already, then you'll be wanting to read Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking by Nicolas Collins.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRer
25 posts since 8 Dec, 2007

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Yeah I'd get one! "Free upgrade" with String, right? :D
Stephen

User avatar
KVRAF
3495 posts since 19 Aug, 2008 from USA-lien In the 8th Dimention

Post Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:49 am

CPB wrote: If you've not done so already, then you'll be wanting to read Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking by Nicolas Collins.
I have not seen this! Thanks! Did just a soldering iron! :D

KVRer
25 posts since 23 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:49 pm

very very coooool!! :wink:

User avatar
KVRAF
3495 posts since 19 Aug, 2008 from USA-lien In the 8th Dimention

Post Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:52 pm

abstractcats wrote:
CPB wrote: If you've not done so already, then you'll be wanting to read Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking by Nicolas Collins.
I have not seen this! Thanks! Did just a soldering iron! :D
Oops! ...just *got* a... :oops:

User avatar
KVRian
1163 posts since 6 Jul, 2005

Post Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:42 pm

CPB wrote:
taoyoyo wrote:is this the same guy that made the hardware controllers for U-he's Ace (and I think ImpOscar 2)?
No, I don't think so; this is just concept art, rather than the initial stage of an actual hardware controller. It'd certainly be an interesting project to tackle if I had the time: my calendar unfortunately tells me otherwise.
... Gotcha, wasn't sure if it was going to go any further than conceptual (and that other guy has done some phenomenal work), nice work anyway! :)

KVRian
586 posts since 3 Sep, 2009 from Vancouver

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Hell ya! that would be some nice hardware. love the comment about being more analog sounding due to the wooden sides. lol

Return to “Loomer”