Tools for modifying looping midi files?

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just downloaded the trial beta, added a mono step sequencer, attached it to the MIDI output module. That works easily! I see also you can unhide and modulate different parameters of the step sequencer. Is there a thread with example patches? In particular, I'd like to load a MIDI file and then manipulate it while it loops, such as shortening or lengthening specific notes in a way that makes the following notes play earlier or later (changes their timing). Do I need to wait until a note-on or note-off is received in order to change a note's timing? Is there a way to anticipate by reading ahead on the file or looking at the next "step"?

-d.vyd

Currently, I don't think there is an easy way to read ahead in MIDI files, which would make getting the information you need difficult. The expanded MIDI player module - when I finish it! - should give you access to the raw notes, making this type of mangling a breeze.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Wow--that player sounds great! Are we talking days, months, or years? Also, I think changing the play speed per step may also do what I want...is that possible in the step sequencer?

You can change speed per step in the step sequencers either by using the multiply and divide rows (to change a step's length by a rational amount), or the speed % (which allows you to stretch or shrink a step's speed to between 200% and an everlasting 0% of its current speed.)

The "proper" MIDI player module was one of a handful I put to the back-burner to get the beta out, and as such is a priority once 1.0 is released. So months, I'd say.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks. That is all good news.

Return to “Loomer”