Midipads props...

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a quick note to thank you once again for the Midipads work you did for me last fall.

I have my setup on two 19" ELO touchscreens ($225 each EBAY) and it's working beautifully. Visitors to my studio can't believe the power of your app. I no longer even use my ReMOTE SL or Kawai MM16...I've replaced them with Midipads templates...

Kudos!

-arrangeit

glad to hear it.

would you have any use for a full-screen mode?
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

insertpizhere wrote:glad to hear it.

would you have any use for a full-screen mode?
Sure...could be very useful. How much trouble would it be to re-code it?

it's already done, actually... i added it to the "image" plugin and decided to try it in midiPads as well.

still kind of experimental, so i would be interested in any feedback:
http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiPads_FS.zip
wrongtastic, baby

Hello Piz...hope you've been doing well,

Midipads FS is working fine. I rarely use the FS mode, because I'm used to sizing Midipads to suit my layout...but the fine detail in an XY pad fullscreen is great for subtle control movements.

I've been switching over to Reaper, and I'm finding Midipads does not play well with Reaper. The GUI response is unpredictable and often slow or delayed. It might work fine for a short while, but then there will be a lag (up to a few seconds) between input and execution or a non-recognition of the input entirely. Sometimes several buttons will get stuck 'on'.

Have you tried Reaper? There is a free 30 day unlimited demo. If Midipads will not work in Reaper I'll likely stick with Cubase...I've deeply integrated Midipads into my workflow.

Cheers,
arrangeit

Just downloaded midiCurve...it's yet another clever/useful Piz tool.

It exhibits the same sluggish beaviour in Reaper...

thanks for the report. i actually use Reaper regularly, but i don't do much testing of plugins in it. there is definitely something wrong with there though... hopefully i can figure out what is causing it.
wrongtastic, baby

what's happening is that Reaper is saving the whole plugin state every time you change a parameter, for undo purposes. saving is pretty slow in midiPads, since it saves about 18000 parameters in XML format.

i could try changing the bank format so it saves fast enough, but another option for now would be to use the single-program version (midiPads1prog), has 138 parameters instead of 18000, might be fast enough.
wrongtastic, baby

i just remembered that in Reaper you can right-click midiPads in the plugin browser and uncheck "Save VST configuration as bank"... then it won't save the whole bank every time, just the current preset.
wrongtastic, baby

insertpizhere wrote:what's happening is that Reaper is saving the whole plugin state every time you change a parameter...
Do you mean by 'chamge a parameter' a change within the edit mode or just any routine button/slider/XY move? That would be a pantload of undo data if it's the latter.

I'll modify the Reaper setting as suggested and report back. I don't think I kept midiPads1prog...I've always updated to the most recent version.

Just to be a further PITA...would you be up to converting 3 or 4 more Jucer templates for me? I will gladly contribute for your efforts...it's truly appreciated...

Best,
arrangeit

i mean anything exposed to the host as a VST parameter. this does include the x-y position of the pads. i don't notice the GUI freezing up with "save as bank" unchecked, but it probably depends on what else is going on...

another option would be for me to disable notifying the host of the parameter changes on pad clicks. then reaper wouldn't save the undo data at all.

no problem if you want to send some more templates... it's not hard to add them.
wrongtastic, baby

insertpizhere wrote: another option would be for me to disable notifying the host of the parameter changes on pad clicks. then reaper wouldn't save the undo data at all.
^^^This one please^^^

I'm wondering about some of the VST options in Reaper...specifically if there would be a benefit to running MidiPads as a separate or dedicated process. Below is a screenshot of the various options...I'm also wondering about the general VST state preference options as shown.

I'll finish my Jucer templates (...and make these ones a bit better) and email them along.

Cheers,
arrangeit

Couple more questions came to mind...

Would it be possible to keep the xy pad values displayed without the dots...or...set up each pad individually (so dots and values on an xy, but nothing on a button)?

Can I exceed 64 pads in a template?

and finally...

What does the <mouseup anywhere> option do?

...I'll stop now...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

more than 64 pads is ok.

if "mouseup anywhere" is unchecked, the mouseup will only count if it happens over the pad you clicked (moused down) on. for example, if the pad is set to send a midi note, and you click on it and then drag the mouse away from the pad before releasing the mouse button, the note will keep playing.

about all the reaper options, "Save full VST plug-in state" is the only one that's needed... there shouldn't be any advantage to running it in a separate process.
wrongtastic, baby

Hi Piz,

I forwarded 5 new (better) templates to piz@thepiz.org...

Cheers,
arrangeit

Return to “Insert Piz Here”