pretty dangerous MrAliasPro bug, anyone aware?

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I finally got the chance to install my favorite synthesizer today, MrAliasPro. Everything went well, I dropped the AU in my component folder, booted up Logic, and started playing.

Now I was listening over laptop speakers so I could fully enjoy the extremely professional range of tones I was getting out of Mr Alias Pro, so I don't think my hearing has been permanently damaged. What happened was the output of the plugin all of a sudden got HOLY SHIT LOUD, extremely distorted. It didn't help I was playing really high notes at the time. I got a face full of an incredibly high frequency burst of merciless contempt and my ears REALLY hurt now. I'm convinced I'd have some hearing damage if I had been using headphones or monitors.

Since then I've been tinkering some more under safe conditions (I have six limiters strapped across my stereo output) and I can't figure out what seems to trigger this.

It seems to happen at random intervals. If I just wait long enough while tweaking or playing, Mr Alias Pro's output will suddenly jump in volume about a billion billion dB, causing immense pain, distortion, and perhaps hearing damage.

My question is: is this a bug, or an intended feature?

I'm running 10.6.4 and Logic 9.1.1 32-bit on a MacBook Pro.

I would like to find and fix this bug. I don't have 10.6 or Logic and my Mac is broken, so it might be difficult. There is a newer version of the code on my hard drive which might magically solve the problem... if I can compile a mac version I'll post it here for testing.
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

Thanks for the response.

I did some more testing, but I can't consistently replicate it. I've noticed that I can sometimes cause it to happen by having the limiter or clipper activated, having resonance cranked up, and switching between filter modes. This sometimes causes the output to distort heavily, and it will continue to do so no matter what changes you make to the patch (so it's not just the increased volume from the resonance.) The only way to change it back to normal is to unload and reload the plugin.

I have to resurrect this ancient thread. I still have this problem.

I cannot consistently replicate this bug but most recently I managed to coax it out of hiding by loading a different preset bank while playing MIDI notes at the same time. Just to be clear, the output of MrAlias Pro seems to be an infinite amount of dB, as the Logic default limiter I had on the stereo output showed maximum gain reduction and the signal still registered +6 dB on Logic's meters (the maximum it will display over 0). Also, any other soft synth I loaded after this bug occurs would not playback properly- I only got silence or some kind of digital noise (MrAlias Pro even exports patches to completely different synths!) and when I press F11 or F12 (the volume adjust keys) the OSX "pop" sound sounded as if it had a low-pass filter on it (?). So I think MrAlias is causing some sort of catastrophic meltdown in CoreAudio or something.

Return to “Insert Piz Here”