Stuck in non-working Safe boot mode (Win 8) (solved)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wanted to try to uninstall a driver in Safe boot mode where the uninstall routine always got stuck in normal mode.

Now I'm stuck in a kind of Safe mode with doesn't work either. I see a blank screen with the "Safe mode" indication but that's it. I can't do anything.

The common fix seems to be to use the Win install CD, go in a command prompt from there and type "bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot " to delete the Safe boot entry.

But when I do this I get "The boot configuration data store could not be openend. The requested system device cannot be found.".

Though when I launch Notepad from the command line I do see my C (system) drive.

What now ? :help:
Last edited by No_Use on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You could try to boot from Win install CD and then choose Startup Repair (this saved me the last time) or if that doesn't work restore from the latest restore point.

No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Tried that already (made a USB recovery stick from another computer), no luck unfortunately.
Sticl stuck in non-working Safe mode.

edit:
Just as a follow up for anyone running into this...

After going through about any forum / blog post about this I could find and nothing helped I was ready to restore a backup image I had done with Macrium Reflect at some point.
When booting with it (using a bootable rescue media) I noticed it has an option to fix boot problems (most importantly rewrite BCD) which did the trick.

(No, I'm not associated with the company).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”