SSD or RAM - best upgrade for streaming Kontakt libraries

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had some issues with stuttering audio in my DAW recently. I fixed the main problem today by disabling powersaving on CPU and it runs fine now. But this made me think about possible upgrades in performance as well. I have my Kontakt libraries on standard IDE drives now and my PC have 16 GB of RAM. What would improove the DAW performance most. Adding 16 GB more ram or getting a SSD drive for the samples? Possibly even getting one of the new M.2-drives (is it possible to get practical use for that 3000mb read speeds?)?
Last edited by GearNostalgia on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is your current RAM usage?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:18 pm What is your current RAM usage?
Not quite sure, what is the best way to check it. Controlpanel?

But I do know that it takes like half a minute to load some sample libraries.

I did a quick check with task manager now and it says around 12 of the 16 GBs are used in a song I loaded.

One won't replace the other. The performance difference is huge with an SSD; running out of RAM is a real thing using samples libraries.
I got through 2017 on reduced circumstances with 8GB but it was a drag and made working more time consuming, being a samples-reliant composer.

jancivil wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:16 pm One won't replace the other. The performance difference is huge with an SSD; running out of RAM is a real thing using samples libraries.
I got through 2017 on reduced circumstances with 8GB but it was a drag and made working more time consuming, being a samples-reliant composer.
Do you have any experience with the SATA versus the m.2 SSDs?

SSD.

GearNostalgia wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:39 pm
jancivil wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:16 pm One won't replace the other. The performance difference is huge with an SSD; running out of RAM is a real thing using samples libraries.
Do you have any experience with the SATA versus the m.2 SSDs?
m.2 is a form factor, it can be SATA or PCIe; or storage or non-storage for that matter.

If your connection is to SATA2, that's going to limit the drive's speed. If you're going to get down to that level I would recommend newer tech I suppose.

As to RAM, while I only mentioned running out of it, I would easily say that for a lot of what we do on computers, having more RAM can make your life easier before you get into streaming samples etc which may require more.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”