Vienna Ensemble Pro7 crashes when loading uviworkstation-x64-3.0.18

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No, we do not wait before processing the CCs in chord mode. Any CC that's coming while the engine is trying to recognize the chord is just passed to the engine.
Btw in chord mode and guitar mode, there is no delay whatsoever even to recognize the chord, everything is processed as you press a new key.

That being said, if you keep notes down when switching modes, you're likely to get weird stuff :)

Could you send us your MIDI file and Multi so that we can check if everything is normal on our end?

>>>Any CC that's coming while the engine is trying to recognize the chord is just passed to the engine.

This is what makes the troubles when playing the GD-6 from a score program (or a DAW):
a) When in CHORD mode a switch of the CAPO is intended (to tell your strumming enging to ANALYSE and PLAY a chord at a higher fret) the engine obviously starts analysing the chord BEFORE READING THE INCOMING CC (which switches the Capo).

This way I see and hear that your engine has analysed the chord as if played in 'standard' mode (Capo set to 0; first position) but then switches the capo to e.g. fret 5 (V.) in the midst of the playing (after finishing chord analysis and start of playing it), which makes a garbled chord.
When playing the same chord a second time immediately afterwards, the CC-setting switching the Capo (e.g. for fret 5, here CC48=50) is obviously still set to this value in your player, and this second chord is analysed and played correctly with the Capo set to fret 5.

b) When switching from the SOLO mode to the CHORD mode, the incoming chord is obviously also analysed immideately, before the CCs switching things (PIANO MODE, UP/DOWN trigger = Auto; MIXED MODE = ON; STRUM SPEED = 33 ms; CAPO = 0; etc. ...) are read (completely).

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
A switch in your player which makes the strumming engine FIRST READING and SETTING INCOMING CCs, and only then analysing and playing the chord.

{I see of course that for live playing it is important that you analyse a chord immediately, to keep delay short; key switches to switch a capo etc. the player will probably press before pressing the chord on a keyboard. However, for the use of your GD-6 with a score program or a DAW this is not convenient.}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>Could you send us your MIDI file and Multi so that we can check if everything is normal on our end?

I can export a MIDI file from my test score.

Here are three screenshots:
a) "Delayed Capo switching with CC.jpg" shows that a chord is played in first position because the Capo has been switched to fret 5 with a delay (after chord analysis).
Delayed Capo switching with CC.jpg
b) "Intended Capo switching with CC.jpg" shows the situation when playing a chord a second time: the delayed capo switching to fret 5 from the previous chord is still active, and playing is OK.
Intended Capo switching with CC.jpg
c) Screenshot of CAPELLA score program: Switch to fret 5 intended in LINE 3 with command "V."
CAPELLA TEST SCORE Capo switching with CC IN LINE 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And here is a MIDI export of the score file (which is used for playing internally in Capella, as far as I know)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, i'm sorry and you probably won't like my answer, but it's just not a possibility.
Adding time lags introduces all sorts of problems (what if note offs happen between that note on and CC and the time you want it to actually make the calculation for example). Many other things and special cases that create so many problems that's it's really not an option.
What you are trying to do also isn't what a guitar player would do, you don't place a capo while playing for example. The capo is here to be set as a starting point for the subsequent chords, it's not just as it 6 fingers were added at that spot, it completely changes the chord recognition engine to create new chords and positions.

And it's the same thing for solo to chord, we even added a feature that kills whatever solo note was played when you switch to chord. So again, just play a solo part, then change the CC to go to the chord mode and then play chords.
Btw if you like to mix solo and chords, you can just use the mixed mode that will play chords as soon as 3 notes are played at the same time. Anything else will play a melody.

It looks like you get why it's good that it works like that in live mode, but even in a sequencer, this would mean introducing a delay (and a variable one at that depending on how quick you are with changing CCs), so the note events would happend at a precise timestamp and then the chord would be played after. Everything would be delayed and very hard to program...

I see, your strumming engine is obviously optimized well for live playing but not completely for the use with a score program or a DAW.

NEVERTHELESS, after intense testing I would like to stick to positive thinking.
If you plan to improve usability with a DAW or a score program, here are a few suggestions:

A) Having all incoming CCs set BEFORE the strumming engine starts chord analysis will solve many troubles.
With "delay" I just had meant to delay chord analysis until all (it is usually only a few) CC-values are set.
I am sure this will be in the range of micro-seconds (if at all) and not noticeable by a user.
According to your user guide, the Capo and transpose functions can be used together "if you want to play chords high on the neck".
This is what a real guitar player would often do.
Having the CCs set before chord analysis starts will also allow to play nice arpeggios of variable duration in between nomal strums by setting Strum speed with a CC. At present, this is not easily realizable.

B) Treating incoming software keyswitches (sent by a score program or a DAW) like keys pressed on a MIDI keyboard or notes sent with a chord might facilitate switching between down and up stroke in manual chord mode.

C) Allowing the triggers for chord mode (set from C4 to C5) be transferred 1 octace up by the user would help to play chords at the highest frets.

To get back to the original theme of this post:
"Vienna Ensemble Pro7 crashes when loading uviworkstation-x64-3.0.18"

In the end, this crashing issue seems to have been SOLVED by UVI
(works well with latest Version of uviworkstation-x64-3.0.24 both on Win7 and Win10)!

Return to “AcousticsampleS”