v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

Hi Attila!

I think my last post in this forum was a few months or maybe more than a year ago.
I did not stop using RC, but started working productively with RC after a short learning period.

Since I had some problems with the pictures in my last posts and I would like to share a lot of information today, I have created two PDF documents. I planned to add these as attachments to this post. But as it is not allowed to attach a PDF to a post I provide a download link in my private online space were the PDF documents can be downloaded:

https://c.1und1.de/@519797282799883844/ ... RWMbIJeaLA

Here in the post, I only provide the table of contents for both documents, so you can see what the PDF's contain.

The list is very long, it is the result of working with RC nearly on a daily basis (as my setup explains). I hope that some features can be implemented in RC and that my setup is interesting and helpful for other RC users.

PDF 1: My RC environment and workflow.pdf
1. Short review of my experience with RC
2. My Setup
3. Managing this setup
4. Audio Environment
5. Performance

PDF 2: RC errors and improvements.pdf
1 Errors (misunderstandings?) in RC 3.6b7
1.1 RC crashes
1.2 Generator length
1.3 Does RC transpose static key switches one octave down?
1.4 MIDI controllers disappear from Track window

2 Rapid composer improvements
2.1 Provide a button to hide the MIDI controller value sliders
2.2 Track comment field:
2.3 Set MIDI device and channel automatically
2.4 Timeline region improvements
2.5 Coloring of piano roll to visualize instrument playing range
2.6 Mid Import workflow improvement
2.7 Phrase editor and note editing improvement
2.8 Switching MIDI controller’s envelope mode
2.9 Send selected BPM in RC via MIDI control message
2.10 Tag selected instrument group in the select preset drop-down list box
2.11 Capability to set two articulations (key switches) for phrases

Many Thanks, Meinolf

The generator don't seem to be working right, I generated a bass, hitting generate don't change until you hit play/preview, it you regenerate while playing it won't change until you stop and the hit the play/preview agian.
And, if I solo a track the EZDrummer 2 track is still playing, if I preview phrase in composition with no tracks muted the EZDrummer 2 don't play. The EZD2 is set to player from it's midi track not notes on the RC drum track.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Also: In the Generators, Use Bottom x Guitar Notes + Scale Notes (in range)
for use with Bass guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hello Meinolf,

it is nice to hear from you!
I appreciate your time spent on formatting all your suggestion in pdf files with screenshots!
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to address them in the coming days.

It seems I added a bug in v3.6b7 which crashed the dyads run. It worked well in v3.6b6 and it works well in the latest unreleased v3.6b8. I am not fully sure why it crashed but I fixed several bugs in v3.6b8.

About the keyswitch in the .rcINST files: they always use C4 as MIDI note 60. So you may need to transpose it by an octave when using another software that use C4 as note 48 or 72, for example.
Please note you can use a MIDI note number for the keyswitch, not just note names.
Unfortunately the MIDI standard does not include the naming of octaves, so different software use a different note for C4. In RapidComposer (as in most other music software) C4 is MIDI note 60 by default, but you can change this in the settings. However this setting does not apply to .rcINST files. If it would, that would be a problem: a user setting would change all your articulation keyswitches.

I am going to implement comments for tracks, 2 articulations for phrases, and your other suggestions. It also disturbs me when sliders and note names are overlapped. You can make the track headers wider, but the sliders also get wider, still covering the percussion assigned for notes. I'll try to do something about it.

Thanks!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

I just noticed that if you have a large library of phrases and you first start RC, if you close RC while the phrases are loading, it continues the process anyways. It is like the thread didn't get the message that the program is closing..

A small improvement to avoid overlapping labels and sliders:

RapidComposer v3.6b8 is available!

Now all issues about regenerating/previewing phrases in the phrase inspector should be gone. Thanks for all the suggestions and bugs reported! :tu:

Changes:
  • [Strum Pattern Generator] various options added when clicking on a plectrum: Shift-click: delete all, Alt-click: toggle all, Ctrl-click: delete plectrum
  • Scales displayed that include all chord notes in the "Enter Chord From MIDI Keyboard" window
  • In suggestions scales are sorted as major/minor > harmonic/melodic major/minor > church modes > exotic scales
  • [Strum Pattern Generator] reversed direction of up-strum and down-strum arrows
  • [Strum Pattern Generator] crashing bug fixed
  • Bug fixes for chord naming of unknown chords (when chord not found in the chord library)
  • Fixed: phrase generators are inserted using the right length
  • Fixed: making the tracks wider will prevent sliders and labels from overlapping
  • Fixed a few issues introduced in previous beta about generating and previewing phrases

BluGenes wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:26 am I just noticed that if you have a large library of phrases and you first start RC, if you close RC while the phrases are loading, it continues the process anyways. It is like the thread didn't get the message that the program is closing..
Yes, I know about this, but I did not expect anybody will realize it :hihi:
It will be fixed in the next update...
Thanks,
Attila

Hi Attila!
More thanks for the implementation of my request for the introduction of chords from the midi keyboard and the visualization of possible scales !!! It's great !
Here is a report on a pair of crash when entering chords from the keyboard ())
I ask you not to forget to do "collect scales for one chord" too ...
And (if it is not too hard) to make an alphabetic decoding of scales and in the master track inspector!
Thank you very much !

A thought, when your bored with nothing to do: Settings > Master Track Chord > Font
there's a lot of free chord fonts.

EDIT: Also the Recent Composition List is not up to date. if I list the Windows folder by date there are newer xxx.rcCOMP showing, the RC list is a few behind current.

lulukom wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm Hi Attila!
More thanks for the implementation of my request for the introduction of chords from the midi keyboard and the visualization of possible scales !!! It's great !
Here is a report on a pair of crash when entering chords from the keyboard ())
I ask you not to forget to do "collect scales for one chord" too ...
And (if it is not too hard) to make an alphabetic decoding of scales and in the master track inspector!
Thank you very much !
Hi lulukom!
Can you help me with a hint? Which notes did you press on your keyboard before the crash? I can see that you enabled the 'chord override' option on the master track, and the crash occurred when a chord name was assigned to the pressed notes, but I could not find out which notes you held down.
Thank you!
Attila

Hi Attila!
Unfortunately, I no longer remember what notes and chords I pressed on the keyboard and so far no more crashes occurred. If this happens again, I will definitely inform you. Thank .

Attila, here's a new crash when introducing a chord from the keyboard.
I pressed the chord E-G-G#-C.

But these crashes only happen when 'chord override' from the midi keyboard.

Another report on crash.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”