Noobie electronics question (female jack soldering)

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey folks, on this mono female jack, which is the tip and sleeve, and what is the purpose of the spare hole? I’m thinking the tip is the small pole on the left, and the sleeve is the taller middle pole. Just want to be sure.

I would use a multi meter, put one lead on the outside metal by the entrance or in the entrance and see which pole that relates to...that should be the sleeve

edit btw I'm a mod so I just made your pic so we see it and dont have to click on a link :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Stick in the male plug and use a multimeter to see what connects to what.
I'd actually use a TRS (stereo) plug, not TS (mono), just in case the female part is TRS as well.

It's also possible both poles are the tip! Then the plug itself will make contact between them, so it can act as a switch to detect presence of a plug.
frank1985 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:18 pm what is the purpose of the spare hole?
You mean the hole in the larger middle pole? That's where the cable shield should be soldered on.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”