Tokyo Dawn Labs - Feedback Compressor II - beta 1

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There must be something "wrong" with my OS since I can load as many instances as I want in Reaper without any problems, too.

You should all call me over, even you Fabien, to reinstall your OS and make a buck or two in the process. :lol:

Or just install my custom Windows XP SP3. You can find the link on the Reaper forum. Just search for DuXP. :lol:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Haha, ok, let's call this plan B ;)

I am about to test each element in isolation, none of my other prototypes have that problem.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

I don't make a good beta tester, it seems. :hihi: But seriously, beta testing should be made on a stock installed OS with antivirus and who-knows-what running in the background, with ASIO 4 all driver, Wi-fi enabled, and similar. Seriously. To make sure it would work for everybody.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I managed to crashy reaper by loading a second fb comp instance (2)

awesome compressor. nice wrok!
keep goin

DuX wrote:I don't make a good beta tester, it seems. :hihi: But seriously, beta testing should be made on a stock installed OS with antivirus and who-knows-what running in the background, with ASIO 4 all driver, Wi-fi enabled, and similar. Seriously. To make sure it would work for everybody.
I'm currently on an old DELL Latitude e5500, nlited XP (not specifically optimized for audio), 32-bit, ASIO4All, WIFI running, ESET antivirus, etc. You get the picture.

Cubase5 - not showing
Renoise - not showing
Reaper - crashes Reaper, on scan shows a message : plugin TDR executed invalid operation on scanning
energyXT 1.41 - shows an error message (too long to type here).

Audition 3 - shows and works (1 instance). Ooops, after some tests: wrapper sometimes shows up empty, sometimes shows the GUI.

It's a GUI-related problem maybe? Can't speculate. Other apps work just fine here.
Last edited by ostfront on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for all the tests guys! I can confirm a severe memory issue, I'm working hard on a fix!!

Fabien, would it make sense to have a "link" feature to both release times, or isn't it a clever idea ? (i am still experimenting & trying to figure out how to use this 2 release design best ;)).

Now i am dreaming that you release a transient shaper :)

Played with this baby quite a lot today and gotta say I love it! Previous edition didn't ring any bells for me, but this one is quite opposite. It really has the mojo, it pushes the mids and stereo forward and control between two releases is neat! My favorite setting on the mix buss so far is slowish attack (around 40 ms), 80-90ms peak release, about 500-800 rms release, 3:1 ratio and crest factor set such that the light between releases is blinking to the beat.
To my ears it rocks that way!

Hi everyone,

many many thanks to all the helpful reports guys!! It seems that I finally found the source the issue (only 99% sure yet, but we're close).

The error is related to a minuscule buffer overflow which broke the surrounding memory in a pseudo random way. The problems with these things is that will appear or not depending on several external factors. Even worse, the overflow corrupted my debugger itself! I felt haunted yesterday and couldn't sleep well ;)

So happy I found it!!
Very small error, insane effect!

Expect a "beta 2" in 5-8 hours latest. Again, tons of thanks for all your support!!

@sinkmusic: Not really sure what you mean, but I'll give it a try:

You can effectively disable the RMS release by setting it full left. In this case, the Peak release takes full control (i.e. you hear pure peak compression).

This doesn't work the other way around (because the peak detector is always acting faster than the RMS detector). To get a pure RMS compressor, increase the crest full right.

But the best setting is usually found in-between. A rule of thumb is that the peak release should be much shorter (50-200ms) than the RMS release (200-1000ms). Shorter peak releases tend to "open" the sound, or the other way around, they can dull the high frequencies when too long.

@meloco_go: Glad to hear that! I had similar feelings to be honest, I feel that the compression quality improved substantially.
Last edited by FabienTDR on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FabienTDR wrote:So happy I found it!!
Very small error, insane effect!
After you'll fix it, it WILL remain "insane fx" ! :D
FabienTDR wrote:Expect a "beta 2" in 5-8 hours latest. Again, tons of thanks for all your support!!

Thanks, dude. you de man ! :tu:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Thank you so much Fabien for your work, this is an extraordinary compressor. ♥ It! :) I'm afraid I'm not going to use FB I so much from now on... I know, I know... it's a different ballpark, but I tend to like this ballpark more. ;)

FB I will be my go-to for some gentle RMS compression from now on, when I don't need to get too creative. ;) I find the peak compressor in FB I not so good. FB II on the other hand... it's clearly a progression in your coding, in every way. Gosh, it's remarkably nice. :)

Cheers! And thank you again! I look forward to testing your next beta. Even though it seem to doesn't make any sense with my system. :hihi:

Ok, it seems I found and solved the problem.

Head to the labs website and download the latest version!

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor-2/

Many many thanks for all the reports!

Many, many thanks for your work, Fabien. ;)

And I guess I speak for all of us here who are helping you, or just using it. :D

Cheers!

Hello and Thanks for a great compressor! This TDR Feedback Compressor ll Version 2.0.0 beta 2 is showing up in Reaper but IS NOT showing up in Presonus Studio One 2.

(the original TDR Feedback compressor is showing up in Presonus Studio One 2... and the new TDR Feedback Compressor ll and the Original TDR Feedback compressor both show up in Reaper)

Since I use Presonus Studio One 2 most of the time, do you know what I could do to get it to show up and function there?? Thanks, Greg :?

Audio Freak wrote:Since I use Presonus Studio One 2 most of the time, do you know what I could do to get it to show up and function there?? Thanks, Greg :?
Of course, this is what betas are for, right? :)

btw, pls post beta 2 problems here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370188

@Greg, works fine for me in studio one pro 32 and 64

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”